Have you got a boost surge after a re-map?

ok, but what Higgy69 describes is the closest match to what I have experienced. I may also have the 4th/ 5th gear issue, but haven't really tested that.

Does that change anything then?

What I have found is that its far more noticeable in 4th (and especially 5th). Also on the motorway its easier to play with the car to try to figure out more about the issue. I had a 180 mile round trip to Cheltenham on Saturday which was a great opportunity to stick it in 5th. Does get very irritating though I must admit. On mine 70-95+ ish where I feel the surge. My passenger also noticed the turbo almost 'pulsing' which was interesting. I've tried different throttle positions to counteract the surge effect but there doesn't seem to be a magic spot in the range.

Ben, I'm happy to hold out for a few weeks to get this sorted but I must admit it is starting to grate on me a little. I'm assuming all of us who are in the same boat will be refunded if its not resolved soon? Its such a shame as the low end of the map is sooo smooth. I love the map as its not aggressive like the IP map I had on my old 2001 VRS a couple of years ago. That gave a rear turbo 'kick' but was tiring after a while to drive. I'm just hoping we can get this sorted so I can enjoy driving my baby again!

Like I say, let me know if there is anything I can help out with. I cant come to see you as I am based in Hampshire but I have the STS so feel free to email me anything you would like tested.

Edited by morgan349

I'm probably going to regret saying this, as it might come back as soon as I do, but...

Since giving my TB a really thorough deep clean, and since swapping out the K&N panel filter for a new standard item from Skoda, I can't get the car to do it's old boost pulse trick!

Before I had it like everyone else is describing. Under load the power would just pulse back and forth, and do your head in! Normal driving was fine, it was most obvious when booting it on the motorway in 5th. It was particularily annoying when you went for a spirited overtake on a country lane!!

Anyway, I've done Yorkshire to Wiltshire and back a couple of times now, and it's been fine. Plus I had a very hard run down to Millbrook and back a few weeks ago, where I rung the poor cars neck to within an inch of its life, and I just couldn't get it to pulse.

Car's an '02, which had an APR trial on it a few years back, and Ben popped the Shark map on last June (with the 17705 code mapped out).

It would be good if someone else with the pulsing could do exactly what I did, and see what happens. I'd like to go down to Shark at some point, and let Ben take some logs if he wants, because mine seems to be fine for now. It could help the cause.

Unless my car has different software to everyone else.... (like you mentioned in post #72 Ben)

Interesting information Bodge, as we had wondered if there's a link between the age old 17705 Pressure Drop error and this issue. Given that your car definitely had the 17705 problem as it went limp on our first test drive, which we then killed in the software, it makes me wonder if these other cars have exactly the same issue.

Ben, do you want me to come down there tomorrow? Would it offer any benefit? It's a yellow 52 plate BTW. I was the one you had to wipe the APR map from and I worked at Maplin :D

Tank is currently full of 95 RON though, if that will be a problem?

I remember you yes :) Might be a bit of a squeeze today, can you make any other days this week?

I'm probably going to regret saying this, as it might come back as soon as I do, but...

Since giving my TB a really thorough deep clean, and since swapping out the K&N panel filter for a new standard item from Skoda, I can't get the car to do it's old boost pulse trick!

Before I had it like everyone else is describing. Under load the power would just pulse back and forth, and do your head in! Normal driving was fine, it was most obvious when booting it on the motorway in 5th. It was particularily annoying when you went for a spirited overtake on a country lane!!

Anyway, I've done Yorkshire to Wiltshire and back a couple of times now, and it's been fine. Plus I had a very hard run down to Millbrook and back a few weeks ago, where I rung the poor cars neck to within an inch of its life, and I just couldn't get it to pulse.

Car's an '02, which had an APR trial on it a few years back, and Ben popped the Shark map on last June (with the 17705 code mapped out).

It would be good if someone else with the pulsing could do exactly what I did, and see what happens. I'd like to go down to Shark at some point, and let Ben take some logs if he wants, because mine seems to be fine for now. It could help the cause.

Unless my car has different software to everyone else.... (like you mentioned in post #72 Ben)

I have done the throttle body clean before I last went back to Shark. I used the guide on here and changed the gasket etc. To be fair it was actually very clean to start with. I was running a K&N and Forge 007p at that time. I have swapped them last night with a new paper filter along with the standard dump valve to see if it makes any difference. I will report back later today to see if its the case. I have not had the 17705 fault code though.

Bodge after re reading your post :doh: i am not sure you are describing the same surging, do you mean it just did it on full throttle when you say full load. The main issue here is surging when on mid to low accelerating like when your on the motorway and you want to make a lane change and slightly increase your speed. The problem is for me anyway normal driving is not fine. If your doing an economy type drive then you wont notice it but anything else you can tell its there.

I remember you yes :) Might be a bit of a squeeze today, can you make any other days this week?

I can do wednesday if that's OK. Other than that, I'm working...

My car doesn't have the 17705 code just out of interest. I had vagcom plugged in yesterday because the central locking is going weird! It won't deadlock on the remote, but will if I do it manually.

Ollieh 2004 (54)

Higgy 69 - 2005 - Not Surging

PaulMoVRS - 2002 (52)

Morgan349 - 2003 (53)

I've taken myself off the list. 2 reasons

1) After having new coil packs fitted i drove the car to test the 4th and 5th gear issue which seems the more common concern - I do not have any issue in 4th or 5th gear with surging.

2) The issue which i had (which was in lower gears) was still there but seemed not so noticeable, so got a mate to have a drive who has had far more turbo driven cars than me and he didn't notice any issue at all when driving hard through the gears, and he rags his cars far more than i ever do or would. In fact he was mightily impressed with how much power the car had. :smirk:

Sadly i don't know whether this has anything to do with the coils being replaced as i don't have the old ones to try out, but i was never aware of a 4th or 5th gear problem before this anyway - i just hadn't tested it.

I will remain interested in the outcome here, but i don't think i have a problem that warrants 'fixing'.

Ollieh 2004 (54)

Higgy 69 - 2005 - Not Surging

PaulMoVRS - 2002 (52)

Morgan349 - 2003 (53)

rk696 - 2002 (52)

I got new coilpacks too, but they didn't make much of a difference

I've taken myself off the list. 2 reasons

1) After having new coil packs fitted i drove the car to test the 4th and 5th gear issue which seems the more common concern - I do not have any issue in 4th or 5th gear with surging.

2) The issue which i had (which was in lower gears) was still there but seemed not so noticeable, so got a mate to have a drive who has had far more turbo driven cars than me and he didn't notice any issue at all when driving hard through the gears, and he rags his cars far more than i ever do or would. In fact he was mightily impressed with how much power the car had. :smirk:

Sadly i don't know whether this has anything to do with the coils being replaced as i don't have the old ones to try out, but i was never aware of a 4th or 5th gear problem before this anyway - i just hadn't tested it.

I will remain interested in the outcome here, but i don't think i have a problem that warrants 'fixing'.

Your mate driving it probably wont notice it and also the turbo on the 1.8t is a lot less noticeable then say a cossie where it has an immediate kick. Your the best person driving the car all the time to notice any issues. Can you describe this issue in a bit more detail just to see if its what we are experiencing? It sounds like your coilpacks have resolved a misfire rather than surging.

I orginally had concerns when flooring it from 2nd or 3rd gear seeming to lose power mid way through the rev range and then coming back again.

The more i test drove today the more i didn't seem to notice it and with my mate driving i didn't notice any dip or loss in power at any stage throughout the rev range. Maybe i'm just getting used to the extra power that the map is providing and that previously i was lifting off slightly. Today was the first time i have driven the car hard deliberately looking for evidence of surging and i just don't think there is an issue there. Having a second opinion helped too.

I'm grateful for this thread, as without it i would have continued to think i might have had a bit of an issue with the map, but i'm happy from todays 'testing', hence the reason for removing myself from the problem list.

Thats fair enough that you have removed your name mate, maybe you did just have a slight misfire with a dodgy coil.

Did you manage to test it on a motorway at say 60 or 70mph in 5th gear thats where i seem to feel it at is worst. This semms to be what everyone else is suffering from. A tried a test today in 2nd gear right the way up through the gears and there was so no surgeing what so ever pulled really well actually its just this 4th and 5th issue.

If you don't think you have the problem mate thats good and hopefully we could be getting somewhere with a fix.

Did you manage to test it on a motorway at say 60 or 70mph in 5th gear thats where i seem to feel it at is worst.

Thanks, i'm relieved, but still keen to see other member's concerns addressed.

I carried out quite an extensive run of tests in 4th and 5th from various speeds from about 40 mph upwards to levels not repeatable, plus a number of tests from roundabounts from lower speeds of about 20 mph driving thru the gears. My only regret is that i need to fill up again with fuel and the cost of petrol still hasn't dropped despite crude oil prices dropping over 10% last week. :thumbdown:

I had a drive today, not much opportunity to test the areas of surging but i can confirm its still there, its noticeable from 3rd gear mid acceleration. The only improvement is that that coming off the boost is smoother but that is down to the standard dump valve. So removing the K&N and Forge 007p has not made any difference to the surge :(

I have done a bit more testing today while on my commute and took the scenic route home. It is still how it has been described in previous posts. It is most noticeable on the motorway in 4th and 5th but i can tell its present in 2nd and 3rd. Its not as pronounced when fully accelerating but its still it is there and most pronounced is when on 1/4 & 1/2 power.

I have done a bit more testing today while on my commute and took the scenic route home. It is still how it has been described in previous posts. It is most noticeable on the motorway in 4th and 5th but i can tell its present in 2nd and 3rd. Its not as pronounced when fully accelerating but its still it is there and most pronounced is when on 1/4 & 1/2 power.

Ben, can you please give an update on any progress you have with this issue. Please also confirm that any customers with this issue will be entitled to a refund & return to std tune if it isn't sorted within thier individual chosen timeframe. For me I'm just concerned this could prove to be an open issue for many more weeks. (This post has been open since 15th march...).

Driving the car today on another long trip and this is starting to really get on my nerves. I'm just alwys concious that the problem exists and its kind of spoiling the enjoyment of my car for me on m-way/fast A road driving.

I've got every confidence this will get sorted by you its just obviously frustrating for us all....

Thanks Ben

Edited by morgan349

Ben, can you please give an update on any progress you have with this issue. Please also confirm that any customers with this issue will be entitled to a refund & return to std tune if it isn't sorted within thier individual chosen timeframe. For me I'm just concerned this could prove to be an open issue for many more weeks. (This post has been open since 15th march...).

Driving the car today on another long trip and this is starting to really get on my nerves. I'm just alwys concious that the problem exists and its kind of spoiling the enjoyment of my car for me on m-way/fast A road driving.

I've got every confidence this will get sorted by you its just obviously frustrating for us all....

Thanks Ben

I would agree with Morgan on this one and I would also be interested to know what sort of time frame we are looking at as it has been going on for quite some time now. I intend to come back down to you guys on the 17th or 18th of this month (still waiting for confirmation if you can fit me in) but either way I would like the car putting back to standard or having a working map on it, I hope its the latter :thumbup:

I am in the same boat ben as the two other guys. I am hoping you can solve it but as more time goes by i am not so sure anymore. Hopefully you can though if not i would also expect a refund.

Paul

Edited by PaulMoVRS

I'm afraid I'm not going to agree for it to be within individuals chosen timeframes, no. In reality some people have had their maps for a fair amount of time before this problem became apparent, the only people who actually notified us of this problem off their own backs were OllieH and PaulMoVRS. Others have since come forward but there are a lot of people who have had their maps for months and longer without a hint of an issue. For once, we are adamant that this is a car issue and while we're working hard to resolve it, we still don't have a car to work on (to be honest it's difficult to do when someone only has a couple of hours and waits with the car), and, to be brutally honest, it could even be said that while the remap appears to make the problem worse for you, it's not actually our problem.

So, that said. We are working on a fix, which we believe we have in theory. We have already tried a couple of fixes on PaulMoVRS's car via STS some of which he said had almost sorted it. We have also tried some on OllieH's car which didn't help his problem. So, in my opinion, we need to be given a reasonable amount of time to solve the issue. As we don't believe the issue is our fault in the first place, I think a bit of extra slack is required. Therefore at this time I'm not going to agree to opening the floodgates on a blanket refund policy.

So, having said that also, here's what I propose. Mikko will be working from Mansfield on the weekend of 27th-30th May. We will keep bookings free for that Saturday to ensure we have time to work on it. We are offering for those guys that have the surge to come and see us on that Saturday to have us map around their issues. This gives people plenty of time to ensure that they are free on that day, and make arrangements if required. There will of course be no charge for this work as part of our commitment to good customer service.

Those who cannot attend or who don't want to and own STS units, well we'll have to ask you guys to wait until at least the week commencing 30/05/11 before we decide how to proceed but by then, this issue should be well and truly nailed, and put to bed. If a resolution is not then forthcoming, we'll deal with each case individually.

Could you please add your names to the list below for a visit to Shark Performance on 28/05/11:

Thats fair enough ben as i have the STS unit and stay about 400 odd miles away i obviously won't be attending but i am willing to wait untill the end of the month. I am away to tenerife next week anyway so i won't be able to try maps etc on my car untill the 28th when i return from tenerife.

I would just like to make a point however about how you think it's still a car problem as i did have the revo trial software on my car and had no surgeing issue what so ever but you guys obviously know more than me.

So hopefully a couple of guys can attend on that date and we can get this annoying matter put to bed for once and all.

Paul

Hi Ben, thanks for the reply.

You know my situation with work and unfortunately I will be working on all of the dates you have listed and due to work commitments at the moment there is no possible way for me to take time off to make it. If I could you would have the car for as long as you needed but its just not possible.

I know in my case you have spent in the region of 10 hours over the course of two visits trying to sort this issue out and have no doubt you will come to a resolution one way or another. In regard to refunds in my opinion these should be discussed on a one to one basis if it comes to that.

I would like to come down on either the 17th or 18th, morning or afternoon as it suites to put the car back to standard for the time being as it is uncomfortable commuting with it in its current state. If you had a revised map to try this would also be fine.

No issue with waiting until the 30 for a decision, at least we know when your aiming for now, thanks. :thumbup: