Have you got a boost surge after a re-map?

Hi Ollie

The 18th is better for me if possible, if you can make it in the morning around 10-10:30, whatever suits.

See you then.

Excellent will be there at 10. Cheers, Ollie.

I'm afraid I'm not going to agree for it to be within individuals chosen timeframes, no. In reality some people have had their maps for a fair amount of time before this problem became apparent, the only people who actually notified us of this problem off their own backs were OllieH and PaulMoVRS. Others have since come forward but there are a lot of people who have had their maps for months and longer without a hint of an issue. For once, we are adamant that this is a car issue and while we're working hard to resolve it, we still don't have a car to work on (to be honest it's difficult to do when someone only has a couple of hours and waits with the car), and, to be brutally honest, it could even be said that while the remap appears to make the problem worse for you, it's not actually our problem.

Hi Ben

In my case I brought my car on the 1st April, got the map on 6th April, and since then I've put probably 3 full tanks of fuel through the car. The car was perfect before the map (hence I brought it!) and after the map it has this issue. I think its not right to say its my problem to be honest. I have read that all maps need time to adjust to the car/fuel etc and hence it isnt right to contact you straight away. In my case I think waiting 4 weeks is fair enough.

So, that said. We are working on a fix, which we believe we have in theory. We have already tried a couple of fixes on PaulMoVRS's car via STS some of which he said had almost sorted it. We have also tried some on OllieH's car which didn't help his problem. So, in my opinion, we need to be given a reasonable amount of time to solve the issue. As we don't believe the issue is our fault in the first place, I think a bit of extra slack is required. Therefore at this time I'm not going to agree to opening the floodgates on a blanket refund policy.

So, having said that also, here's what I propose. Mikko will be working from Mansfield on the weekend of 27th-30th May. We will keep bookings free for that Saturday to ensure we have time to work on it. We are offering for those guys that have the surge to come and see us on that Saturday to have us map around their issues. This gives people plenty of time to ensure that they are free on that day, and make arrangements if required. There will of course be no charge for this work as part of our commitment to good customer service.

Those who cannot attend or who don't want to and own STS units, well we'll have to ask you guys to wait until at least the week commencing 30/05/11 before we decide how to proceed but by then, this issue should be well and truly nailed, and put to bed. If a resolution is not then forthcoming, we'll deal with each case individually.

Could you please add your names to the list below for a visit to Shark Performance on 28/05/11:

I went for the STS option and as I live in Hampshire I cant make the trip up. You obviously already have my maps that you can work on though. 30/05 week is fine with me.

I don't think any of us are being unreasonable in asking for a target date for for the issue to be sorted, and the outcome if it isnt fixed by then. I'm sure none of us want to have the issue and nobody is asking for anything but for the problems to be ironed out and for us all to enjoy our cars running your map. At the end of the day however, I'm sure none of us want to pay for something that isn't perfect, especially when there is a lot of money involved for the customer. I'm sure you appreciate that.

Thanks again Ben, and as always if you need me to do/test anything please just ask.

I have been back to Shark today and after 4.5 hours you will be pleased to hear the surging issue has been cured. I am not going to try and explain how its been sorted but I recall Ben explaining that he tried a different standard software from a 150 Golf. At first the surging was cured but I then had a flat spot in the boost between 3-4k. Another map was tried and it has sorted this out. It now feels very smooth and pulls well in all gears. My problem was mainly seen at high speed / high gear and it does not surge at all in this area where it did before.

I am sure Shark will put there own update on but it looks like it will be some more work for them to do before they can adapt this fix to the STS. Ben tried it on my car but it did not work.

I am more relieved than happy that its been sorted out as it was making me (wrongly) take a dislike to the car and the problem has been there since January. I intend to take the scenic route to work over the next couple of weeks so I should really see how good it is working then.

I would not let this put people off using Shark Performance as they obviously know there stuff and have done a lot of work to find a cure. It has also been demonstrated that there is an underlying software issue, certainly on my car that was the problem when using it with a map. I think possibly what lets them down is the lack of a rolling road as it has been labouring and time consuming taking the car on the public road to test each map and by my reckoning I have done around 15 test runs over the course of 4 days now. Its also been difficult for me to tell when it was surging and when it was not when we were testing it. Also taking in to account petrol, the cost of the map and the parts I changed that were actually fine the remap has cost me in the region of £500.00. If I had known all of this before hand then to be quite honest I would not have had it done. That is not directed at Shark but just something to bear in mind when having any remap. Hind sight is a wonderful thing though and I am very thankful that Shark have worked hard and found a solution.

Once again many thanks to Ben for sorting this problem out. The other guys on here with the same issues hang in there it can be fixed :thumbup:

Further to Ollie's post, flashing the car with a different version of factory software has solved the issue, a suggestion that was made by Nick at R-tech (thanks Nick).

The first version of the remap for Ollie was perfect apart from a slight flat spot, which we then retuned and I believe Ollie left a happy chap (unfortunately I'd popped out to pick up some parts and Ollie had to go - so thanks to Ollie for his patience with the testing).

As Ollie mentioned we now have to work on making this work with an STS (which isn't going to be that straight forward).

As for the rolling road thing - yes I understand your point but generally testing is best done on the road IMO. Having said that, it might not be so much of a problem in the not-so-distant future... watch this space.

So, let's move forward knowing that there is a fix. Can those who require a reworked map (either by STS or by coming to us) please let me know by email or PM.

Good News ! :thumbup:

just goes to show persistance and patience pays off

Ben any chance of letting into which software versions were causing the grief.

and just goes to show Bosch dont get it right first time thats why their is so many software revisions. :giggle:

Barry

The main software that appears to be at fault is 1037363908 which is the standard software for many Octavias and today's test involved 1037362287 which doesn't display the surge problem.

The main software that appears to be at fault is 1037363908 which is the standard software for many Octavias and today's test involved 1037362287 which doesn't display the surge problem.

so would you say this only effects certain revision of the ecu as i guess you've had next to no problem with the majority of your flashes ie.1037363908 as on HN and 1037362287 on HJ versions

so would you say this only effects certain revision of the ecu as i guess you've had next to no problem with the majority of your flashes ie.1037363908 as on HN and 1037362287 on HJ versions

Well it's difficult to say because we use our stage 1 363908 regularly and this problem has only displayed itself on a few cars.

Well it's difficult to say because we use our stage 1 363908 regularly and this problem has only displayed itself on a few cars.

well im glad you've got a result pinning this problem down ,

shows people what their money pays for with great after remap support!

bet your relieved too !

all the best

Barry

Hi Ben, great news you have found a cure, PMd you this morning, can you please get back to me? I've got the STS. You already have my original map, does it look like this will sort out my map too?

Thanks again

Mike

Further to Ollie's post, flashing the car with a different version of factory software has solved the issue, a suggestion that was made by Nick at R-tech (thanks Nick).

Great to hear that this is well on its way to being solved and fantastic that tuners are assisting each other for the greater good of their customers. :thumbup:

Quick question: you replaced the standard software with one from a golf 1.8T 150? Shouldn't that have been from a 1.8T 180?

The HP rating of the standard software is irrelevant as the engines are 100% identical, so no using the 150 software as a base is no problem.

Yes will do, when I get chance to. Fixing this by STS isn't going to be totally straight forward but we are working on it.

Ok understood. I know its a difficult question to answer but do you have any idea how long the fix will take?

Ok understood. I know its a difficult question to answer but do you have any idea how long the fix will take?

Ben?

Obviously still very keen to get this sorted. can you get back to me either in this post or by PM?

Thanks

Give me chance to reply! You posted your question at 23:21 on Friday night..

We still need to work on a fix for the STS customers, so we are still working to the original dates given of w/c 30/05 as stated previously.

Give me chance to reply! You posted your question at 23:21 on Friday night..

We still need to work on a fix for the STS customers, so we are still working to the original dates given of w/c 30/05 as stated previously.

Hi

I am thinking of joining the group buy for the remaps you are currently running but as the owner of a 2004 Octavia vRS I am worried that I might get caught up with the problem identified in this thread.

Is there any way I can determine if my Octy is likely to be similarly affected ie by VIN number, reg no etc or is there some other method ?

I don't want to commit to something if it's not likely to give a satisfactory result but I also don't want to miss out on the cut-off date for no good reason.

Please advise

I have just returned from holiday this morning and would like to know what mpg figures people see after a remap? On the way home this morning 160mile trip i checked my trip computer and it showed 32.1mpg, on the way down i think the highest i seen was about 34.3mpg. From what i can remember before i got a remap it was in the high 30s just want to know if people noticed a reduced mpg figure?

I have read that some people see a increase in mpg figures after a remap :wonder: , i am currntly running the shark map with the boost surge at present was maybe wondering that this was causeing the lower mpg figures if its over fueling or something maybe i have just now got a heavier right foot after the remap lol, ill run the car untill the fuel light comes on and see what i get out of a tank and work out a average mpg for that it just seems that the car is useing more fuel at present don't know if anyone else who is suffering from the surgeing has noticed this also?

Anyway hopefully ben at shark has worked out how to upload it via sts and ill have a working map soon enough :)

Cheers

Paul

My mpg is better post remap, as i drive the car pretty much the same, although i guess this is also partly because the warmer weather also has given some mpg benefit since March.

Hi

I am thinking of joining the group buy for the remaps you are currently running but as the owner of a 2004 Octavia vRS I am worried that I might get caught up with the problem identified in this thread.

Is there any way I can determine if my Octy is likely to be similarly affected ie by VIN number, reg no etc or is there some other method ?

I don't want to commit to something if it's not likely to give a satisfactory result but I also don't want to miss out on the cut-off date for no good reason.

Please advise

Hi

If you can PM me your registration number then I can check the part number of your ECU, but to be honest this problem is all but sorted now (we are finalising the fix for STS users this weekend) and so there's no reason not to joint the group buy :thumbup: