Have you got a boost surge after a re-map?

It might be worth it in the long run, but if your standard one isn't leaking, then it won't be causing any problems.

Do you have a Shark map?

no was a chap in the paper £150 mobile one not working so couldnt afford much more

I'd be going back to the guy, sounds like who ever he uses for his maps will need to do some tweaks.

I used a mobile guy and it cost me 195 but he uses DNA Tuning for his maps and I have to say that I haven't been disappointed in the slightest!

Hi guys, I'm back.

After having the map tweaked by Ben and Mikko, and replacing the N75, the map is really smooth now, but it doesn't seem to have the same power it used to have. I've been trying to convince myself that it's because I'm not getting overboost spikes from the faulty N75, but I'm not so sure.

Does anyone with a Shark stage 1 map have a boost gauge? I've done a logging session today (on my private runway of course B) ), and the ECU is only requesting 17 PSI. Is that right? I thought the Shark map was more like 19 PSI? It also tails off to 11 PSI at redline, so I may have a boost leak too.

MAF readings are 171 g/s (215 HP roughly), so the sensor looks OK, and the AFR ratio looks good too.

Any ideas?

Put the logs here:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/204671-done-some-logging-what-do-you-think/

Mine goes to 19psi when it's behaving.

But when it's surging (yes it's back again!) it pulsates between about 17 and 21psi.

Hmm, mine doesn't seem to request anywhere near 19 psi, never mind 21! Hopefully Ben should be able to put the boost back up a bit and I'll be sorted.

Have you tried the new tweaked map?

my boost gauge shows 23psi peak :giggle: it's not very accurate mind B) I'd be quite interested running some logs on mine more out of curiosity than anything else as I have no "known" issues.

What boost does yours peak at and what does it hold?

Ok just another input from myself.

Had the tweaked map on the car now for 3 weeks. Well i don't have any surgeing that is for defenite tested the car in different situations and i can't feel any surgeing at all in any gear.

Now the bad news is that in 3rd and 4th gear when you expect the turbo to really kick in it's so flat and has no grunt it only feels really flat in 3rd and 4th, 5th seems not to bad but it's still so annoying in 3rd and 4th. As rk696 has shown with his figures maybe the boost is just needing turned up or something?.

Hopefully shark can put there input into what could be causeing this issue.

my boost gauge shows 23psi peak :giggle: it's not very accurate mind B) I'd be quite interested running some logs on mine more out of curiosity than anything else as I have no "known" issues.

What boost does yours peak at and what does it hold?

It peaks at 17, then tapers off to about 11 at redline. What does your produce at redline?

My shark map hits and holds 21psi. Or it did before the oil seals in the turbo decided to act up. Still holds between 17-19psi now tho, all be it a bit smokey :rofl:

What does yours produce at redline, or what did it used to? :D

Ok just another input from myself.

Had the tweaked map on the car now for 3 weeks. Well i don't have any surgeing that is for defenite tested the car in different situations and i can't feel any surgeing at all in any gear.

Now the bad news is that in 3rd and 4th gear when you expect the turbo to really kick in it's so flat and has no grunt it only feels really flat in 3rd and 4th, 5th seems not to bad but it's still so annoying in 3rd and 4th. As rk696 has shown with his figures maybe the boost is just needing turned up or something?.

Hopefully shark can put there input into what could be causeing this issue.

When I noticed this, I sent a message to Mikko (Shark's Mapper), and he says that the boost figures look OK, but they can tweak it to be a bit more aggressive mid range.

I've actually got a rolling road printout pre-tweak, and the boost pressure figures look pretty much the same (peaks to 18.2 PSI, holds 11 PSI to redline), and the air fuel ratio looks the same too.

I wonder if it's just because the surging has gone and it feels slower? I can definitely see the surging on the printout though. Starting about 3500RPM, there are about 6 surges until just over 5000RPM, each one going up or down by maybe 10 hp or so. This was on full throttle though, so I think this was more likely to be my bad N75 causing it, but the surging bug can't have helped.

Im sure Mine held 21psi right through iirc or if it did taper off it was no less than 19psi at redline.

It's been a while since the seals started to go and since I've driven it so not 100%

We're quite capable of looking at our own maps. Anyone experiencing problems be they car or map related need to deal with us, otherwise any offer of support or refund will be withdrawn.

We have spent considerable time on this problem and if those running altered maps still think they have a problem then we need to continue with the problem solving process.

Ben,

I still think i have a issue with lack of mid range grunt, I have had the latest map now for 3 weeks and i still think i have an issue. I don't know if you can tweak it mid range so i can get a bit more power there because it feels extremely flat in 3rd and 4th gear. As i said before the surgeing is not noticeable anymore.

We're quite capable of looking at our own maps. Anyone experiencing problems be they car or map related need to deal with us, otherwise any offer of support or refund will be withdrawn.

We have spent considerable time on this problem and if those running altered maps still think they have a problem then we need to continue with the problem solving process.

Hi Ben, the original problem seems to be pretty much fixed, but I think we need one last tweak then it'll be perfect. I'm just wondering whether the surging bug was causing the car to feel like it was overperforming? Maybe giving overboost spikes, combined with my dodgy N75? I've never had a properly mapped 1.8t car before, so I don't know how they're supposed to drive. I just doesn't seem to have as much urgency on WOT as it did with the pre-tweaked map and old n75.

Can you send me the tweaked map I currently have on my car? Or is there any way to back it up with the sts? I want to try flashing the pre-tweaked map on the car to see if it feels any different on WOT, but obviously want to be able to go back to the tweaked map.

Cheers

p.s. Did you have a look at the logs I did? Do they help you at all?

• 2 weeks later...

Any more updates from shark?

I still have the lack of power where i would most expect it very annoying. I had a look for split pipes under the inlet manifold couldn't feel any pipes seem fine.

Has anyone else who is running a new map minus the surgeing still have a issue?

Like i said earlyier when i removed the map with my STS unit there was no surgeing so something in the software in the map is causing a issue with mine and ollies car.

Weird how shark have mapped many vrs's before and our 2 cars have come up with this issue, my typical bad luck lol

lol i have been trying to solve this issue too mine is also one of the dodgy ones appaerntly skoda can pump out a thousand cars and out of them one will have different ecu i simply took off the map and got somone else to look at it he put on a different map wich seems fine, only thing is its not quite as fast so im going back to get a little more boost

I'm afraid I'm not going to agree for it to be within individuals chosen timeframes, no. In reality some people have had their maps for a fair amount of time before this problem became apparent, the only people who actually notified us of this problem off their own backs were OllieH and PaulMoVRS. Others have since come forward but there are a lot of people who have had their maps for months and longer without a hint of an issue. For once, we are adamant that this is a car issue and while we're working hard to resolve it, we still don't have a car to work on (to be honest it's difficult to do when someone only has a couple of hours and waits with the car), and, to be brutally honest, it could even be said that while the remap appears to make the problem worse for you, it's not actually our problem.

So, that said. We are working on a fix, which we believe we have in theory. We have already tried a couple of fixes on PaulMoVRS's car via STS some of which he said had almost sorted it. We have also tried some on OllieH's car which didn't help his problem. So, in my opinion, we need to be given a reasonable amount of time to solve the issue. As we don't believe the issue is our fault in the first place, I think a bit of extra slack is required. Therefore at this time I'm not going to agree to opening the floodgates on a blanket refund policy.

So, having said that also, here's what I propose. Mikko will be working from Mansfield on the weekend of 27th-30th May. We will keep bookings free for that Saturday to ensure we have time to work on it. We are offering for those guys that have the surge to come and see us on that Saturday to have us map around their issues. This gives people plenty of time to ensure that they are free on that day, and make arrangements if required. There will of course be no charge for this work as part of our commitment to good customer service.

Those who cannot attend or who don't want to and own STS units, well we'll have to ask you guys to wait until at least the week commencing 30/05/11 before we decide how to proceed but by then, this issue should be well and truly nailed, and put to bed. If a resolution is not then forthcoming, we'll deal with each case individually.

Could you please add your names to the list below for a visit to Shark Performance on 28/05/11:

good god ben most people would have given up by now i had the same problem but after going to a company called ktl or kudos remapping it seemed to go away lol keep up the good work ma\ybe speeking to them may help

Hello there guys,

I don't have time to read through all of the 18 pages but I think I have the exact same problem with my 2002 1.8T VRS.

I bought a remap from ebay and put in my ecu.

1 and 2 gear are almost ok but 3,4 and 5th gear have real problem when I accelerate from 1000rpm to around 5000rpm. That is when the boost gauge shows a pressure of 1.0 bar and the car does not accelerate normally.

However I don't want to go back to stock because I want more power in my vrs :).

Any solutions? Is the N294 thing the only fix?

Please inform,

Thanks in advance,

Tomas,

ICELAND.