Photography Thread

Tas

3 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

A little bit grainy due to high ISO setting as it was pretty dark at the time.

sos1.thumb.jpg.f87bb9c3f25ed13187bfdf8e9979c733.jpgsos2.thumb.jpg.6b2389a106461ac134d844618a54a239.jpg

Fast Taxi??   still awesome.

Yes, they do this twice a year and it draws quite a crowd, just wish they would do it earlier in the day rather than sunset, which they chose as this plane was operated by 617 squadron and they took off at sunset on the famous dambuster raids. Somewhere in my collection, I have an awesome photo I took of the Vulcan (not this one) during one of its last airshows before it was grounded, taken from on top of Beechy Head while it flew low below the cliffs.

On 20/05/2024 at 13:59, Graham Butcher said:

A little bit grainy due to high ISO setting as it was pretty dark at the time.

sos1.thumb.jpg.f87bb9c3f25ed13187bfdf8e9979c733.jpgsos2.thumb.jpg.6b2389a106461ac134d844618a54a239.jpg

I assisted in salvaging useful equipment from these at RAF St Athan back in the early 80s

Wonder how many people who see this fine beast realise that the colour scheme is not operationally accurate as in service it was never camouflaged on the underside

20 minutes ago, Winston_Woof said:

I assisted in salvaging useful equipment from these at RAF St Athan back in the early 80s

Wonder how many people who see this fine beast realise that the colour scheme is not operationally accurate as in service it was never camouflaged on the underside

I'm quite so sure about that, it has been the subject of many colour schemes over the years while in service and of course at one time it was just pure white all over to help reflect the thermal radiation in the event it was ever called upon to deliver a nuclear bomb 

34 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

I'm quite so sure about that, it has been the subject of many colour schemes over the years while in service and of course at one time it was just pure white all over to help reflect the thermal radiation in the event it was ever called upon to deliver a nuclear bomb 

yup, originally they were all white anti flash (along with the Valiant, I don't think the Victor was ever all white)  but for the rest of the time in service they had a white/pale grey belly and camouflage on top.

The only reason they painted display aircraft camouflage on the belly was to make it more visible against a grey sky (which is why the belly was the colour it was) when we moved from High level to low level attack vectors

• Like 1

ah the Victors (maybe I'm biased as I worked on them but I think they were the best looking of the V Bombers) were painted all white at some early stage

Also I think the last RAF aircraft with a bomb aimers position in the nose

VICTOR-BOMBER-M-.jpg

• Like 2

Yes, apparently you are correct about the Vulcans, but once they were retired from operational duty it seems that the RAF kept 2 back for displays XH558 and XL426 and these 2 were painted in all over camouflage.

XH558 was the one that was brought and restored to flying condition and was displayed and operated by Vulcan to the Skies Trust and XL426 is the one at Southend airport which I photographed, all the others were normal grey.

Used to see the vulcan regulary in the 70s when i was a kid ,i think they came from raf finningley ,think that was their base here in yorkshire .

21 minutes ago, Mickvrs220 said:

Used to see the vulcan regulary in the 70s when i was a kid ,i think they came from raf finningley ,think that was their base here in yorkshire .

latterly Robin Hood Airport AKA Doncaster Sheffield Airport, now defunct

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

That was because the Reds were at the Cosford airshow today. 

A pal of mine did catch them in formation over North Nottinghamshire yesterday afternoon , whereas I'd headed Waddington to see the last 2 arrive back at base👍

• Like 1