Monte Carlo Ordered - could cancel

Right... a quick update!

Satnav has been removed from the options list. It is no longer available for dealers to add to the spec when making the factory order.

I cancelled my first order with our local dealer who despite being very matter-of-fact about our custom were absolutely on the ball with info directly from SKODA.

I know its not on the options list because i specced exactly the same car with a different dealer.. they went away and came back with a price... it was £600 cheaper!

They took the order then came back to me again and said the SATNAV was no longer 'choose-able' on the system... BUT at least they were suggesting alternatives (after-market units at cost, Nav's removed from demonstrators etc). They confirmed the info from dealer #1

To cut a medium story short the car we have ended up ordering with dealer #2 and despite it being without satnav is pretty much £1000 less than were had already signed up for with dealer #1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right... a quick update!

Satnav has been removed from the options list. It is no longer available for dealers to add to the spec when making the factory order.

I cancelled my first order with our local dealer who despite being very matter-of-fact about our custom were absolutely on the ball with info directly from SKODA.

I know its not on the options list because i specced exactly the same car with a different dealer.. they went away and came back with a price... it was £600 cheaper!

They took the order then came back to me again and said the SATNAV was no longer 'choose-able' on the system... BUT at least they were suggesting alternatives (after-market units at cost, Nav's removed from demonstrators etc). They confirmed the info from dealer #1

To cut a medium story short the car we have ended up ordering with dealer #2 and despite it being without satnav is pretty much £1000 less than were had already signed up for with dealer #1

sat nav no longer available on fabia??????

How do you stand if it's already ordered?

Cheers

Lee

I guess they can't really pull the plug on an order that's gone through as... at the time of order your decision was based on the fact it is available and it isn't your fault that Skoda no longer offer it? Can't really see how they can pull out on it, if they do on mine they'll be getting a nice phone call saying 'what on earth are you doing....'

What about the SatNavs that will be in the factory ready to go in a car? Surely those units will go to standing orders.

What about the SatNavs that will be in the factory ready to go in a car? Surely those units will go to standing orders.

I hope so! I would assume its on any NEW orders but any orders that have been made should be fulfilled? *prays*

That's what I would be hoping for!

If not will be some major ass kicking going on!! Can't accept an order and then part way through go 'oh sorry, we stopped doing sat navs' especially if the order has been confirmed ok by Skoda! Gunna keep me fingers crossed though

In the nicest way possible, better it happened to Japan least they can sort it. If it happened to Britain we'd be like 'Oh $h!t we're f00ked'

Aye with you on that one, **** up in a brewery, arse and elbow, hope you get the nav though

Hi Adamc260,

Genuinely wouldnt worry too much about the nav. Amundsen is a nice unit but frankly TomTom's and Garmins do the job better; case for most OEM sat navs. Swing head unit is very good, works well with MDI and sound quality is no different.

If you cant stand it you can always retrofit an Amundsen or Columbus at a later date, you'll just need a (possible) re-code, 3rd party GPS antenna and be a little creative where you mount it.

Its worth noting that the newly introdcued SE Plus spec Octavia and Superb models have the Amundsen sat nav as standard - there can't really be much of a supply issue with the unit!

Could be one of the reasons they've removed it as an option from the Fabia?

I'm getting the impression that the Amundsen option has been removed for reasons of Skoda/VAG safeguarding future supplies of the unit rather than an outright shortage. As well as the Octavia SE thing mentioned above, there is an upgraded Seat Leon with the nav unit currently being advertised on the TV. I'm assuming the margins are bigger on these larger cars, especially with lucrative and spec sensitive fleet deals being in the mix, so VAG would logically put their eggs in that basket. I agree with pipsyp in other threads that the Fabia is well specced already for its place in the market, and a nav unit is not top of the list of options for most buyers (Briskoda posting obsessives aside lol), so why not get rid of this possible sapping of nav supplies altogether? Personally speaking, I have ordered the nav unit, but it wouldn't have been a deal-breaker had it never been an option in the first place.

While this is indeed a bugger for those yet to order, I doubt with the above thinking that Skoda are having a massive drought of parts and won't / cannot honour existing orders for the Amundsen unit.

I'm getting the impression that the Amundsen option has been removed for reasons of Skoda/VAG safeguarding future supplies of the unit rather than an outright shortage. As well as the Octavia SE thing mentioned above, there is an upgraded Seat Leon with the nav unit currently being advertised on the TV. I'm assuming the margins are bigger on these larger cars, especially with lucrative and spec sensitive fleet deals being in the mix, so VAG would logically put their eggs in that basket. I agree with pipsyp in other threads that the Fabia is well specced already for its place in the market, and a nav unit is not top of the list of options for most buyers (Briskoda posting obsessives aside lol), so why not get rid of this possible sapping of nav supplies altogether? Personally speaking, I have ordered the nav unit, but it wouldn't have been a deal-breaker had it never been an option in the first place.

While this is indeed a bugger for those yet to order, I doubt with the above thinking that Skoda are having a massive drought of parts and won't / cannot honour existing orders for the Amundsen unit.

I agree with didescharlie entirely. The RNS310 derivative is being banged out all over the place at the moment. As well as the Seat and Skoda special editions its also become a standard fit device on some high end passat/passat CC's. I guess demand for the device on these vehicles outweighs the demand (as an option) on the Fabia. I also suspect they are not profiting a great deal by offering this on the Fabia as it wasnt particularly expensive; you'd pay quite a bit more than £400 to have the same unit in a Passat.

I dont think its the end of the world anyway. They can be retrofitted pretty easily and at not huge cost with clever placing of a 3rd party antenna in or on the dash.

Edited by pipsyp

The Admunsen is a bargain unit and worth the money its on the options list for. Please remember that people keep saying get a Tom Tom and that maybe so but it gives you a better Stereo unit with touch screen and integrates the MDI and when your using devices via the touch screen, so although the Sat Nav piece of the unit may not be the best unit in the world the overall effectiveness of what is does is well worth the option price.

I am sorry that its not currently available for future purchasers - makes Skoda look silly again. :thumbdown:

For model year 12 many VW models are getting RNS310 and the newer RNS315 (Same unit with inbuilt bluetooth and possibly DAB for the UK) as standard fit.

Been into see the dealer this morning and he rang Skoda UK. We will definately get the updated 7 digit Amundsen fitted to our car, he can't say why it's dissapearing as an option but I believe the unit is a Blaupunkt unit and manufactured in Malaysia so the Japan situation should not effect supply.

He's ringing me back on Friday with an update on delivery times. Ordered 1st Feb and no build date yet.

Cheers

Lee