Monte Carlo Ordered - could cancel

For model year 12 many VW models are getting RNS310 and the newer RNS315 (Same unit with inbuilt bluetooth and possibly DAB for the UK) as standard fit.

Been into see the dealer this morning and he rang Skoda UK. We will definately get the updated 7 digit Amundsen fitted to our car, he can't say why it's dissapearing as an option but I believe the unit is a Blaupunkt unit and manufactured in Malaysia so the Japan situation should not effect supply.

He's ringing me back on Friday with an update on delivery times. Ordered 1st Feb and no build date yet.

Cheers

Lee

Is the RNS315 effectively the Amundsen + then?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the RNS315 effectively the Amundsen + then?

Not sure, I also believe the 315 has internal memory for the Nav function so you don't have to tie up the CD player or SD card slot for the maps.

Cheers

Lee

Heres the reponse i got to an e-mail

Dear Mr *****

Thank you for your email dated 28 April 2011 regarding the issue with ordering a Satellite Navigation system for your Skoda car.

I can confirm that we are not experiencing any delays in respect to the problems experienced in Japan. We do at this moment in

time have an upgrade being done on the Amundsen Satellite Navigation system which means that it is not available for order until

further notice.

Thank you for contacting Skoda Customer Services.

Kind regards

John Good, Customer Relations Manager

I had a word with dealers on Friday and he said the Amundsen+ is the same unit as the Amundsen however it will come with DAB and Bluetooth, the discs still have to be Placed into drive to upload data and then transfer in SD card, so the only difference will be DAB and Bluetooth technology Oh and the price think it's going up buy 25%

Edited by seboni121

I had a word with dealers on Friday and he said the Amundsen+ is the same unit as the Amundsen however it will come with DAB and Bluetooth, the discs still have to be Placed into drive to upload data and then transfer in SD card, so the only difference will be DAB and Bluetooth technology Oh and the price think it's going up buy 25%

Makes sense as they are going to fit the RNS315, I believe VAG will stop RNS310 production.

I wonder how the price increase will effect current orders, a 25% increase on Amundsen price will still be cheaper than the current price of Amundsen + Bluetooth.

Cheers

Lee

Makes sense as they are going to fit the RNS315, I believe VAG will stop RNS310 production.

I wonder how the price increase will effect current orders, a 25% increase on Amundsen price will still be cheaper than the current price of Amundsen + Bluetooth.

Cheers

Lee

Aye Lee, looks like the Amundsen will be obsolete pretty soon, and 315 will take over, I think the price will be around £700 ? But there are issues now as fabia's will not get sat nav in options

Swing head unit is very good, works well with MDI and sound quality is no different.

Sound quality is the same across the VAG head units but there is a massive difference in useability. I find the MDI on the Swing to be a right pain. To only be able to view one line of text at a time and then only be able to scroll through one track or one artist at a time means navigating takes ages if you have a lot of music.

The Balero and Columbus with 6.5" touch screens enable you to see much more info and the side bar means you can sroll from tracks starting with A to tracks starting with T in an instant even if you have thousands of tracks.

It's the main reason we specced the Amundsen, the sat nav is just a bonus. If the Balero had been available I'd have specced that for the bigger screen.

Cheers

Lee

Any idea why these OEM nav units are sooooo expensive compared to yer tomtoms and garmins? Bigger screens etc hardly seem to justify the price hike.

And don't even get me started on bluetooth, with every model of Fiat getting the bluetooth and MFSW as standard, it seems like another ripoff to pay for it. The blue and me system works perfectly in my wife's 500, and it has a decent MDI style USB socket as part of the package.

Edited by Didescharlie

Any idea why these OEM nav units are sooooo expensive compared to yer tomtoms and garmins? Bigger screens etc hardly seem to justify the price hike.

And don't even get me started on bluetooth, with every model of Fiat getting the bluetooth and MFSW as standard, it seems like another ripoff to pay for it.

Also remember you are looking at the cheap VAG brand, Skoda's are well equipped and the options are cheap. The options I bought on the Passat were getting on for twice the price that Skoda charge. DSG on the Fabia is about £600 but you get ESP thrown in which is a £400 option on the manual so really the DSG version is £200 more than the same specced manual.

To get DSG on the Passat? That will be £1300 please.

Standard on the Superb Elegance but on the Passat Highline, Front Fogs? £230, Heated Seats £450, Climate £490, Parking Sensor £480, RNS510 Columbus £1895. And don't even think of looking at the Audi option list.

Get involved with Germans and they love to screw you with the options list.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by logiclee

Can you retrofit a Bolero into a Fabia? Would like to do this!

Shouldn't be too much of an issue, RCD310 (Swing) to RCD510 (Bolero) is a straight swap on most VAG models. Done it myself twice.

Cheers

Lee

Also remember you are looking at the cheap VAG brand, Skoda's are well equipped and the options are cheap. The options I bought on the Passat were getting on for twice the price that Skoda charge. DSG on the Fabia is about £600 but you get ESP thrown in which is a £400 option on the manual so really the DSG version is £200 more than the same specced manual.

To get DSG on the Passat? That will be £1300 please.

Standard on the Superb Elegance but on the Passat Highline, Front Fogs? £230, Heated Seats £450, Climate £490, Parking Sensor £480, RNS510 Columbus £1895. And don't even think of looking at the Audi option list.

Get involved with Germans and they love to screw you with the options list.

Cheers

Lee

Skoda 1

VW/Audi 0

From the sounds of ;)

I was told I can't have SatNav after I placed the order - now it's on again.

Here's my Email correspondence with dealer (in reverse order):-

From: Ben Dossett Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 6:34 PM To: Kevin Baker Subject: Re: New Fabia quote

That’s really great – thankyou so much.

I look forward to receiving confirmation and then (eventually) a build date...

From: Kevin Baker Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 4:11 PM To: 'Ben Dossett' Subject: RE: New Fabia quote

Just to update you, firstly the Sat Nav, we now know that it has now only just become physically available to order on the Fabia which has been confirmed with our contact with Skoda. However, the problem is still that an error message appeared on the computer system when we tried again to order it stopping us adding it to the spec. .

Further contact with Skoda has resulted in them raising a manual order for this and they assure us this will be successful and will confirm this shortly.

With regard to the “Black Pack” this will apparently be included in the spec of the Model year 12 cars now of which your car will be included. There is a minimal extra charge for this and I will alter the order form accordingly and let you have a copy with the renewed pricing including parking sensors.

Looks as if we have it sorted!!!!

From: Kevin Baker Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 10:00 AM To: 'Ben Dossett' Subject: RE: New Fabia quote

Thanks for your email, I have no issues at all with you calling Skoda regarding this matter and if we can get the exact spec you want that is even better.

Will try and sort this out and get back to you, normally our admin girl is “spot on” regarding these specs. I am assuming that you still want the rear parking sensors so I shall leave these on the spec.

From: Ben Dossett Sent: 09 May 2011 15:57 To: Kevin Baker Subject: Re: New Fabia quote

Further to our order which was confirmed over the phone on April 28th, I was very disappointed to hear from you that the SatNav option would not be available. I only accepted this because it seemed we had no choice.

I have since been reading entries on a Skoda forum and it seems there is quite a bit of confusion especially on lead times, but other issues as well.

Today I called Skoda UK customer services and they told me categorically that I should be able to order SatNav as an option.

Therefore I would be grateful if you would pursue this with Skoda and ensure that this option is not omitted from my car.

I hope you don’t think it underhand of me calling them and that you appreciate how keen I am to get the car the way I anticipated when I decided to place the order.

Another point I would mention in passing is that I understand something called ‘black pack’ will become standard well before my car is built. I am very pleased about this – once I saw the ‘Monte Carlo’ edition, the ‘black pack’ seemed an obvious improvement for the VRS. I understand there may be an additional charge for this change in spec. which I'm happy to pay.

I think this is encouraging sign of (my) dealer's willingness to help - even if I had to take the intiative!

Ben,

Good work mate.

did you get a price for the nav as an option now its come back on the system?

Well - it WAS 437.50 (list ex VAT) when I ordered it.

I assumed I'll be paying that and not +5% VAT on the new offer.

Won't be happy if they up it!

Ben,

Why is your dealer charging you a "minimal extra charge" for the black pack? I ordered my VRS on 21st March and have been informed by my dealer that it is no extra charge and it has been confirmed that my car will be MY2012 even though I don't have a build week yet.

Ben,

Why is your dealer charging you a "minimal extra charge" for the black pack? I ordered my VRS on 21st March and have been informed by my dealer that it is no extra charge and it has been confirmed that my car will be MY2012 even though I don't have a build week yet.

Is it for that OR a change in spec (attracting an additional charge)???