Why hide number plate?

cwinnit

I always have and always will blur my number plates when posting pics of my cars, luckly i've never had parking fines or tickets from other parts of the country because ive shown my plates online and i wish that to continue so my preference will always be to cover them.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is she the one whose Grandson had a bit of a do last Friday? :rofl:

Yar, and

To the best of my knowledge, she has never worked in her life. Her

bad-tempered old man is notorious for his racist comments.

Surely if you want to keep your reg number private then you need to take some Tipex to the vehicle, otherwise anyone could see it when you take it out on the public roads :wonder:

For goodness sake get a grip- I dont go around sharing my PIN numbers, but a car reg number is by definition in public :wall:

Surely if you want to keep your reg number private then you need to take some Tipex to the vehicle, otherwise anyone could see it when you take it out on the public roads :wonder:

For goodness sake get a grip- I dont go around sharing my PIN numbers, but a car reg number is by definition in public :wall:

Where's the harm? If someone wants to obliterate their number plate details in any pictures, as opposed to being on public view on a day to day basis, then that's their choice.

I do it to minimise the chance of it being cloned. I accept that it is on public view everyday but that it restricted to the locality you reside in whereas the Internet is global.

Fred :sweat:

All this doom and gloom is no doubt true but life's too short. Identity theft, 'phishers' stealing all your money via the internet? I'm sure it has happened to a few unfortunate people, as do all the possible nasty things in life, but no-one in my reasonably broad circle of family, friends, colleagues and acquaintances has ever fallen victim to these things (let alone number plate theft).

Yours - no doubt in childlike, blissful ignorance (soon to be destroyed).

I am with you - maybe we aren't paranoid in N Yorkshire ? Or maybe we are too tight to rip off? If soembody wants to take a picture of either of my cars' plates be my guest...you will then be privy to the same information that several thousand other people are.Which begs the question why don't I use my real name on here as I do on most websites. Hmm, got me wondering. Maybe I should come out . As it were.

Look at it another way,

If you were a criminal looking to commit an offence, where would you look to get some plates to cloan a car, yes you could wait at the roadside to a plate matching the car you want to ring, but an easier way is the internet and it takes just a few minutes to pull up a plate matching the cars details.

I have been a victim of cloaned plates and the experience is not a nice one to deal with. An old Mondeo I owned had its plates cloaned and was reported for dangerous/reckless driving, it took me weeks of getting witness statements/letters and more besides to satisfy the police that my car was not the one involved in the incident. If your car is cloaned, the onus is on the registered keeper to prove that they were not where the incidents if any happen take place. Luckily there were no more problems, but I wouldn't wish the hassle on anyone.

If you cannot prove that you were not involved then you could get points on your license and fines or worse still loose your license.

i don't think that keeping private information safe is being particularly negative.

there are a few simple things that i do to prevent becoming a victim of card fraud, id theft and theft in general.

shredding papers with personal details/account numbers etc.

guarding your fingers when using card/pin machines and such like.

now i'm not saying that these will be completely successful, but i am making a small effort to make it more difficult.

i even lock the yeti when i park it.

oh, and when i leave it to pay for fuel.

i doubt anyone on here would leave their yeti parked with the keys in and go off shopping??

the point is that private information is very valuable to the wrong people. even more valuable than your treasured yeti so keep it safe and don't make it easy for the toerags.

What you suggest seems quite reasonable and if it helps you sleep better at night then all to the good. :)

I'm not sure that blurring out number plates stops crims cloning plates though.

All they have to do is search for cars on ebay and autotrader where dealers display lots of cars pics complete with registrations.

I've never seens a car dealer blur out the registration numbers. :no:

I'm not sure that blurring out number plates stops crims cloning plates though.

Doesn't stop them doing it but makes it more difficult for them, and reduces the chance of the car they're cloning being yours.

How many cars are there on the roads in the UK?

How many reg numbers are cloned each year?

If someone can produce evidence of a percentage more than 10% that are cloned then you have justified your "problem", but I'm sorry I don't think that "distressing" a number plate of a Yeti on the web is going to make any difference.

Plates are easy to get hold off.....I have just ordered a "Manx" set on the internet to put on my Yeti after I bring it home on the English plates. No documentation required, no questions as to ownership asked! Surely the main factor in cloning though is that you put another vehicle's registration number on a vehicle similar in all respects to the one you are "pinching" the number from! Would have thought there wouldn't be enough spare Yetis around yet.

SWMBO had a blue VW Polo company car- she got a ticket through the post, matching the number plate, with Manufacturer: VW Colour: Blue. When we got the photos through, it was a Sharan wearing 'her' plates. A photo to plod sorted it out.

How many cars are there on the roads in the UK?

How many reg numbers are cloned each year?

If someone can produce evidence of a percentage more than 10% that are cloned then you have justified your "problem", but I'm sorry I don't think that "distressing" a number plate of a Yeti on the web is going to make any difference.

Fair enough, but for the 2 seconds it takes to block a plate out, so what if the owner of that plate would like to?

I do, it makes sense to me. If it doesn't make sense to other people, fine, but if someone is looking to clone a silver A4 quattro or silver Vito van, I'm happy that they're less likely to be cloning mine :thumbup;

If someone can produce evidence of a percentage more than 10% that are cloned then you have justified your "problem"

Why 10%? It only needs to happen once and it only needs to happen to you for it to be a problem.

I don't mind showing mine on photos. I do understand the logic totally of why people tipex them out, but then the chances of that happening is about the same as me being in a three car pile-up on the M25 with two other Yetis. So until it happens I'm not too worried. My plate is pretty distinctive anyway so I don't think it will be the first choice for a cloner. Nor do I think these types will go to the trouble of searching Google for specific car forums to clone plates from.

Nor do I think these types will go to the trouble of searching Google for specific car forums to clone plates from.

No, they just type the car they're after into Google Images - they don't need to go to a specific car forum, Google does that for 'em.

No, they just type the car they're after into Google Images - they don't need to go to a specific car forum, Google does that for 'em.

... and all you get is foreign plated cars!

http://images.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1123&bih=820&q=skoda+yeti&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=

Well there are some UK ones on p8, et seq. :smirk:

Phew... so it will take some time to find mine via Google Images then...... If at all!

My plate is pretty distinctive anyway so I don't think it will be the first choice for a cloner.

I can't quite see how you can justify that argument! After all, everyone has a unique plate - just sometimes it's on more than one car at once! ;)

I can't quite see how you can justify that argument! After all, everyone has a unique plate - just sometimes it's on more than one car at once! ;)

Give up.

Some agree with you, others don't.

End of story!!

True but my plate stands out a mile. To everyone and Mr Plod. I can never ever rob a bank with my car as every witness will tell the police the getaway car's registration had five naughts in it. Which it does. So A the police will be searching for my cloned plate on a very distinctive car (if cloned to another Yeti) and B the plate itself is distinctive. So even on a grey Fabia the average Joe clocks my plate let alone Mr Plod who will be on the lookout for it anyway.

I started this thread, and I've enjoyed the discussion which has been informative. When my Yeti arrives in August (please God), and i can finally have a picture of MY Yeti on this site, I can make an informed decision regarding whether to include the number plate. :)