Service intervals

BowsG

I've done some 8,800 miles (from new) with my Octavia 1.9 PD diesel and the information on the instrument panel is now telling me that I have 500 miles to go before a service. Almost all of my jouneys are between 30 and 40 miles with about 20%-25% urban driving (about 20,00 miles per year). The car is on the 'variable service interval'.

What sort of service intervals are the other Octavia drivers out there getting? The salesman at the dealership - where I bought the car - said that I should get about 16,000 - 18,000 miles between services, but the he would, wouldn't he?

The engine oil level is probably about 1/3 of the way up the 'dimpley bit' of the dip stick; does the engine monitor oil levels & could this have brought the service warning on?

That looks like you are about to set a Briskoda record for the lowest mileage to first service for a PD on variable servicing - although it will be in the 9000 to 30000 mile band quoted by Skoda. Is it possible that the dealer reset your car for fixed service intervals? Alternatively have you topped up with more than half a litre of the wrong spec (ie non long-life) oil in the past 8800 miles?

The shorter the journeys, teh shorter the service intervals. Hence mine spends most if its time on the motorways and hasn't asked for a service in 16k. The Superb Taxis are regularly in the dealers every 5k as they do all urban driving.

That looks like you are about to set a Briskoda record for the lowest mileage to first service for a PD on variable servicing - although it will be in the 9000 to 30000 mile band quoted by Skoda. Is it possible that the dealer reset your car for fixed service intervals? Alternatively have you topped up with more than half a litre of the wrong spec (ie non long-life) oil in the past 8800 miles?

I haven't added any oil at all ( I do check it weekly). Could the fact that the level has dropped a bit have brought on the warning light - ie is it worth "splashing out"! on some oil or would I be wasting my money 9with teh service so near?

I haven't added any oil at all ( I do check it weekly). Could the fact that the level has dropped a bit have brought on the warning light - ie is it worth "splashing out"! on some oil or would I be wasting my money 9with teh service so near?

This looks interesting as i have 1.9 PD and have completed 8500 miles in 6 months no sevice indicator yet , however over that 6 months have checked oil weekly and in total used 1 litre ( of the 506.1 long life oil )to maintain a full oil level on dip stick , would it be indicative of not having added any oil , as they say these engines use / need most of a top up in the first 5 / 7 k miles . ?? :confused:

This looks interesting as i have 1.9 PD and have completed 8500 miles in 6 months no sevice indicator yet , however over that 6 months have checked oil weekly and in total used 1 litre ( of the 506.1 long life oil )to maintain a full oil level on dip stick , would it be indicative of not having added any oil , as they say these engines use / need most of a top up in the first 5 / 7 k miles . ?? :confused:

:confused: I did "splash out"

• 2 weeks later...
I've done some 8' date='800 miles (from new) with my Octavia 1.9 PD diesel and the information on the instrument panel is now telling me that I have 500 miles to go before a service. Almost all of my jouneys are between 30 and 40 miles with about 20%-25% urban driving (about 20,00 miles per year). The car is on the 'variable service interval'.

What sort of service intervals are the other Octavia drivers out there getting? The salesman at the dealership - where I bought the car - said that I should get about 16,000 - 18,000 miles between services, but the he would, wouldn't he?

The engine oil level is probably about 1/3 of the way up the 'dimpley bit' of the dip stick; does the engine monitor oil levels & could this have brought the service warning on?[/quote']

I contacted the dealership & asked if they could tell me if the car was set to variable or fixed service intervals. They told me that I would have to take the car in to them & they would check it. I took it to them on Saturday morning & - when connected to the diagnostic computer - they noted that both the "high" & the "low" service intervals had been set to the same value (9,300 miles - I think). They re-set the "high" value to 18,600 miles and the service warning icon does not now flash on start up. So it looks like a service will be due some time between current mileage & 18,600 miles.

They told me that the service intervals are pre-set at the factory - so much for the pre delivery inspection eh? :thumbdwn:

Hm, after 8500miles it already consumes oil? Is that normal? I've ordered myself a new octavia 1.9 diesel just last week...

My current mitsubishi galant 2.4 doesnt consume a drop of oil (I go from service interval to service interval without having to add oil), and that after 160000 miles.

Hm' date=' after 8500miles it already consumes oil? Is that normal? I've ordered myself a new octavia 1.9 diesel just last week...

My current mitsubishi galant 2.4 doesnt consume a drop of oil (I go from service interval to service interval without having to add oil), and that after 160000 miles.[/quote']

IIRC...PD diesel consume oil for the first few 1000 miles and then nothing after that.

It is part of the PDi to set the service intervals.

But you will find that most dealers will set it to every 10k so the customer will bring it back to them (hopefully)for a service.

If you set it for variable services which is 2 years or 20k then you dont see your customer as much.

Will admit I think I would prefer 10k for mine , but then it is best to ask the customer what THEY would prefer than the dealer who wants your money every month.

• 5 months later...