140 CR TDi remap and winter tyres

Guys,

Remap

Looking at remaps for the scout 140 cr tdi and can’t decide.

Shark - £500 approx 7+ hours round trip

P torque - £345 approx 1 hour round trip

Superchips (HQ) - £500 (guess) approx 2 hour round trip

Not sure where to go... I like the idea of superchips as they have been around for years. But Ben at shark seems nicer on the phone than will from p torque, but p torque is very close and 30% cheaper...

Also any views on eco maps, as this is the main driver for the remap? As one tuner has said an eco map will be more efficient than a power map if driven the same way speed etc, another tuner said that a power map will be just as efficient. Who is correct, both in their own way?

I can understand that to advanced the injection window and inject the fuel sooner in the cycle will allow it longer to mix etc thus getting a more efficient burn and better MPG. I can also see that the extra torque of the power map would result in less strain on the engine and thus more efficiency.

All views welcome....

Tyres

Also starting to think about winter tyres for both the Scout and the wife’s Altea (225/45/17). Should I just get 8 steels with some winter tyres, that would cost about £125 - £155 or should I just get some “all season†tyres that have better snow performance than the std Dunlop’s on the Scout or the all but useless Michelin’s that are on the Altea, at approx £140 - £160.

My thoughts are that the “all season†tyres will wear quicker and have more drag and thus reduce mpg, but will always be one the car, so no storage issues, no hassle of getting them fitted every year and they will also look better (alloys over steels). Shame that they both still have very good tread left on their tyres...

Again, all views welcome

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Just a thought on the all-season tyres - I think it depends how demanding you are of your tyres, but all-seasons seem to be mediocre all round and therefore a poor compromise. Not sure I would sacrifice a short stopping distance in summer for a bit better (but not much better) grip in winter. Have a look at the Autoexpress winter tyre test - interesting reading.

Placey has posted a quick review of his Pirelli Sottozero winters on the forum - not too noisy and also not wearing too badly now things have warmed up. I'm going to go for some Dunlop Wintersport 4D if I can get them (just launched) on my Scout, and keep the Dunlop SP01s and Proteus wheels for summer.

I got some Yeti Spitzberg wheels off Ebay for winter wheels - quite looking forward to putting them on! I was toying with some Autec winter alloys, but the Spitzbergs turned up and I bit the bullet.

Edited by London Les

Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons get vey good reports from Scout owners on the forum. Also consider Upsolute for a remap I had a Merc V220Cdi and a Caravelle tdi remapped with excellent results. They will do the remap at your house or at work.

Mark

Edited by mark999

You ould maybe go for the STS remap option from Shark and save the round trip? I went for this on my car and am well happy with the result. I was bricking myself uploading the new map, but it's very simple to do.....

Totally recommended!

Ian

Edited by mountainandsea

There's another thread at the moment where the guy is asking about economy re-mapping too.

I'm dubious- I ran a remap on my Golf (1.9PD engine) for about 60k miles and noticed no improvement in economy at all.

Even if you did get an improvement, say for arguments sake you improved it from 45mpg to 50mpg.

That would save you about 1.4p per mile at todays prices.

So if you spent £500 on your map you'd have to do over 35k miles to get your money back.

If you want the map for performance then go for it, but if it's purely for economy then think very hard before you do it.

On my 1.8 TSi remap from Shark, fuel economy is maybe 5% better on standard driving, but having the remap and so much more power does make you push the car more.

I find my self overtaking (safely) for absolutely no reason, just to have that kick in the back B)

Tire wise as Les said all season tires as neithet good summer nor good winter. I would put them on wife's car if she doesn't drive too fast.

I have 16" steel rims (Skoda OEM) with Conti TS830 for winter and they are superb, and I don't have to care for potholes and curbs with them which is more then having them look good on alloy rims.

Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons get vey good reports from Scout owners on the forum.

I have them on my front wheel drive Octavia and I'm very impressed. Totally indistinguishable from summer tyres in summer and very nearly as good as winter tyres in winter. Don't appear to adversely affect fuel consumption or wear faster either.

Personally I don't intend to fit anything other than all seasons tyres ever again given the choice. They just seem perfectly suited to UK weather.

Gloucester - 3 hours each way to mansfiled, P torque walverhampton 30mins up the motorway.

6 + hours travelling time difference between Wombourne (P Torque) & Mansfield (Shark)....? where on earth are you travelling from mate ?

Why choose remaps on distance of travel? You only do them once so you should have more reasons going for each of them.

That's nice to hear from the guy who definitely wins the all-time distance award... driving to see us from Kosovo!

Yay!! 3200 miles :)

But on the other hand, even wife said....oops it's going so fast.

Whoever does your map, you will enjoy the potential of the engine, and it's amazing what a simple remap will do to the car.

Just a thought on the all-season tyres - I think it depends how demanding you are of your tyres, but all-seasons seem to be mediocre all round and therefore a poor compromise. Not sure I would sacrifice a short stopping distance in summer for a bit better (but not much better) grip in winter. Have a look at the Autoexpress winter tyre test - interesting reading.

Placey has posted a quick review of his Pirelli Sottozero winters on the forum - not too noisy and also not wearing too badly now things have warmed up. I'm going to go for some Dunlop Wintersport 4D if I can get them (just launched) on my Scout, and keep the Dunlop SP01s and Proteus wheels for summer.

I got some Yeti Spitzberg wheels off Ebay for winter wheels - quite looking forward to putting them on! I was toying with some Autec winter alloys, but the Spitzbergs turned up and I bit the bullet.

Tmos - I think they look GREAT! Are those Nokian Entyres or another all weather tyre?

Hi Les

The tyres are Perelli Rossos. Bought the wheels &tyres from a friend who owns a Yeti. The wheels that came with the car are the upgraded proteus, will post a couple of shots later with them on.

I haven't made my mind up which ones to fit winter tyres too?

Ah OK. Obviously there is nothing to chose between the two types of wheels size-wise, both being 17x7J, so it comes down to the design and finish. To me the Proteus wheels would be good winter wheels because the basic design is simple and provides good protection to the discs and hubs from salt, BUT the problem is that the front surface on the Proteus wheels is polished and prone to losing it's lacquer and corrosion (several threads about this), so I've decided to go with the Spitzbergs this winter. They provide a little wider track too, which can't be a bad thing (ET45 instead of 50).

Ah OK. Obviously there is nothing to chose between the two types of wheels size-wise, both being 17x7J, so it comes down to the design and finish. To me the Proteus wheels would be good winter wheels because the basic design is simple and provides good protection to the discs and hubs from salt, BUT the problem is that the front surface on the Proteus wheels is polished and prone to losing it's lacquer and corrosion (several threads about this), so I've decided to go with the Spitzbergs this winter. They provide a little wider track too, which can't be a bad thing (ET45 instead of 50).

yes, good point but the upgraded wheel do look quite good. I would warn you that the Perelli Rosso tyres are way noisier that the standard Dunlops. I also have tried Bridgstone NCTs on my last Scout and they were terrible for noise and very weak walls. So I would give these two a miss if you ever consider replacement of your sumer tyres

I would opt for winter tyres every time.

I have had them for the last three winters (Vredestein Wintrac Extreme)on my rear wheel drive 5 series BMW and never been stuck.

I even drove across Germany and Holland the week before last Christmas when even the Germans couldnt cope and I never needed to resort to my chains.

I am currently looking to buy 4 steel wheels with decent winter tyres (Marangoni) for the 17" wheels on my new Elegance estate, from My Tyres at about 125 / corner.

• 1 month later...

There's another thread at the moment where the guy is asking about economy re-mapping too.

I'm dubious- I ran a remap on my Golf (1.9PD engine) for about 60k miles and noticed no improvement in economy at all.

Even if you did get an improvement, say for arguments sake you improved it from 45mpg to 50mpg.

That would save you about 1.4p per mile at todays prices.

So if you spent £500 on your map you'd have to do over 35k miles to get your money back.

If you want the map for performance then go for it, but if it's purely for economy then think very hard before you do it.

Will at P-Torque remapped my 58 plate Superb 1.9Tdi at 3,000 miles. It instantly transformed the car and gave reserves of power for safe overtaking etc.

The published combined fuel economy figure is 49.6 mpg, however, I have recorded all fuel consumed/miles travelled for the last 25,000 miles where my current average economy figure is a respectable 56.20 mpg. This represents a 13.30% improvement. My current mileage is 85,000 miles, so savings for 83,000 miles are as below:-

83,000 divided by 49.60 mpg = 1,673.38 gallons x £6.00 (average for past 2.5 years) = £10,404.28

83,000 divided by 56.20 mpg = 1,476.86 gallons x £6.00 (average for past 2.5 years) = £ 8,861.16

Saving = £1,543.12

Then, divide by two to represent 50% business miles (company funded) and 50% commuting/private mileage (own expende) = £771.56

Less remap cost of £275.00 = £496.56

So, I have currently saved almost £500 and had the benefit of more power. Win, Win, I'd say!

Edited by veloplus