ASR Light - Constantly on *CURED*

Hi guys,

Tried doing a search on here but not managed to find the same problem ive just had.

Driving home tonight, gave the car abit of the right pedal treatment, was in 3rd gear, 6,000rpmish and the car jerked really bad then the ASR light came on and now constantly stays on. The car still drives fine tho?

Anyone have any ideas?

Edited by Liam-6

The first error might suggest a dodgy lambda sensor or wiring, especially if it happened under serious load. I wouldn't worry about the ABS one just yet - it could be just a hangover or an associated glitch and may clear with the first one.

Edited by Interphase

Cheers guys,

The 16804 error about the CAT is because i have a de-cat pipe on the car which reminds me, when can i bring the car back and have the sensor taken out ben? I think you missed it out when you did the remap?

Will try the MAF sensor then, i had this same problem on my old 306 GTi-6 which was one of the ABS sensors on the wheel hubs.

Electronic controlled cars, pain in the arse!

I had same light on my MK 1 VRS when getting wheelspin on compacted snow.The jerking you get is the sensors telling the system to back off power to one or both wheels. The jerking can feel very violent, and is the same as when the ABS kicks in.

After about 5 days the 'fault' on my car cleared itself and the light went out. At the next service I had it checked out and no faults detected on ABS system or traction control.

I can't comment on the MAF sensor fault code but at high revs like you describe this would not produce the jerking

Regards, Ian

I had same light on my MK 1 VRS when getting wheelspin on compacted snow.The jerking you get is the sensors telling the system to back off power to one or both wheels. The jerking can feel very violent, and is the same as when the ABS kicks in.

After about 5 days the 'fault' on my car cleared itself and the light went out. At the next service I had it checked out and no faults detected on ABS system or traction control.

I can't comment on the MAF sensor fault code but at high revs like you describe this would not produce the jerking

Regards, Ian

Cheers for the reply Ian,

Allthough it only jerked the once. No power has been lost, still pulls like a train, there's also no weird idle issues. Everything "seems" ok.

It's the maf, I had the same issue, you will be losing some peak power though.

Cheers buddy, Would explain why its all of a sudden lost its "va-va-voom" Thought it was just me being paranoid.

Right, so can i unplug and run without?

Thanks mate!

Edited by Liam-6

It's the maf, I had the same issue, you will be losing some peak power though.

Cheers buddy, Would explain why its all of a sudden lost its "va-va-voom" Thought it was just me being paranoid.

Right, so can i unplug and run without?

Thanks mate!

Edited by Liam-6

I'd look for a boost leak before replacing the MAF.

She's holding 19 - 20 psi mate.....The boost gauge hasn't dropped any psi since ive had it mapped.

Little update..

Started the car this morning, it fired up but was misfiring quite bad so i turned it off. Waited 5 seconds and turned it back on.....everything was fine. Ok i thought...so i unplugged the MAF and went on my way to work. The car drove no different from when it was plugged in.

Looks like i shall be ripping the car to bits and spending £££ on plugs, coils and a MAF :doh:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Ive got the same problem, 1st gear took the car to about 5500rpm had a jerk traction control light came on 2nd gear wouldnt go over 3000rpm. If i re start the car it the abs light goes off. Had it scanned (not vag) its showing abs no sign off maf.