monte carlo tdi after 2weeks

:thumbup: iv had my monte montecarlo tdi 105 for two weeks and 1700 miles, and has performed brilliantly, with an average consumption of 57mpg.On a long run from morecambe to cromer,265miles,each way, it gave 64mpg,when i refilled on my return. the performance is lively with superb handling,there isno hint of the sluggishness that the previous scout had,which makes me think that the latest engines have been reengineered,there are no rattles or squeeks even on morecambe`s potholed roads. my wife`s tdi 75 monte is very similar, with just a small noticable drop in power when on the move. looking forward to taking it to north wales for the first time next week,where i can put it through its paces on the A470 to ffestiniog,which i know like the back of my hand,so its in line for a bit of a thrash

glad your liking it!

i imagine the 105ps is good to drive, however, i drove the 1.2 12v 70ps petrol and my god was it sluggish, really noticable how little power it actually has! although i guess people dont buy them for their speed, makes me laugh when owners of the little 12v say its 'nippy'...

:) so you did 530miles is that on a complete full tank?

did you get any factory extras?

virtually a full tank,the fuel light came on just south of lancaster,and it said 25miles of fuel left on the maxi,when i got home,which is not an exact science,but when i filled it up and divided the litreage by 4.5,thats the mpg i got,i found it hard to believe so i did the calc again,cos my previous 1.6 tdi 105 scout,would probably been about upper 40`s,with 13000 on it,its extras are, bluetooth,cruise,met paint,climate,armrest & sparewheel(from my px car) :thumbup:

Edited by shyfly

Shyfly it's a cracking engine I've the105 and I've the 1.4 tdi I've a round trip of about 500 miles next month bassingbourne from Caernarfon so looking forward you said Ffestiniog is that bleanau?

yes thats right,blaenau ffestiniog,my home town before i moved to morecambe 17yrs ago

yes thats right,blaenau ffestiniog,my home town before i moved to morecambe 17yrs ago

I was in bleanau couple weeks ago shocking how the town has declined!, I was absolutely depressed with the place, what's happened to the place?, all those people coming up on the trains and not leaving the platform purely because there is nothing in the town shocking!

glad your liking it!

i imagine the 105ps is good to drive, however, i drove the 1.2 12v 70ps petrol and my god was it sluggish, really noticable how little power it actually has! although i guess people dont buy them for their speed, makes me laugh when owners of the little 12v say its 'nippy'...

Ash...just a pointer for what it's worth. I don't have the 12v 70ps but several I've driven have been pretty nippy. If yours wasn't then there was something not right with it, or you (no disrespect intended) need to spend some time learning to get to know how to get the best out of it. They go like the clappers for a 1.2L and sound lovely. It's only 3 cylinders and has to be revved a bit more than a 4 cylinder unit. That's how they are designed to be used. You are then rewarded with a nice torquey punch, still with good economy.

Ash...just a pointer for what it's worth. I don't have the 12v 70ps but several I've driven have been pretty nippy. If yours wasn't then there was something not right with it, or you (no disrespect intended) need to spend some time learning to get to know how to get the best out of it. They go like the clappers for a 1.2L and sound lovely. It's only 3 cylinders and has to be revved a bit more than a 4 cylinder unit. That's how they are designed to be used. You are then rewarded with a nice torquey punch, still with good economy.

I have a 12v 70. On the islands roads it is quite fast and nippy enough for us. I can quite happily cruise at 70 on mainland motorways. I get the feeling sometimes that you VRS owners are looking down on us lesser mortals, please dont because we all buy cars for different reasons.

Edited by wroxall

I have a 12v 70. On the islands roads it is quite fast and nippy enough for us. I can quite happily cruise at 70 on mainland motorways. I get the feeling sometimes that you VRS owners are looking down on us lesser mortals, please dont because we all buy cars for different reasons.

I don't necessarily think they look down on the other fabia owners, I think it's just a Phalus thing lol mine quicker or

bigger than yours syndrome lol, however as a package it's a great car ( VRS) but it's still just a fabia although slightly faster pick up , the top end ain't that great but it's only a 1.4 , that's why they will be dropping this engine in favour of the 1.6

My partner and I have just spent a week in North Yorkshire in the Scarborough area and the car has performed brilliantly. The long sweeping hilly roads have allowed the 1.6 CR Tdi to really shine!! The power has been really impressive. Unfortunately normally catching up with the cars in front and losing the momentum of surging torque!!

Infact we drove back from Hawes in Wensleydale to Scarborough via Masham - Thrisk - Sutton Bank - Pickering etc on a quiet evening and achieved an impressive 70 mpg on empty roads. Its amazing what you can achieve on empty roads without breaking the speed limit!!

My partner and I have just spent a week in North Yorkshire in the Scarborough area and the car has performed brilliantly. The long sweeping hilly roads have allowed the 1.6 CR Tdi to really shine!! The power has been really impressive. Unfortunately normally catching up with the cars in front and losing the momentum of surging torque!!

Infact we drove back from Hawes in Wensleydale to Scarborough via Masham - Thrisk - Sutton Bank - Pickering etc on a quiet evening and achieved an impressive 70 mpg on empty roads. Its amazing what you can achieve on empty roads without breaking the speed limit!!

so how many miles do you get out of a full tank?

We had an Ibiza 1.2 12v 70 in Portugal a little while back....it was perfectly adequate but wouldn't want to live with one. TBH its all down to what you're used to....we have a 140ps Golf 2.0 TDi CR and a vRS estate, anything like this seems drastically slow by comparison.

Will keep an eye out for you when we are on the island in September :D

We will be in a green vRS :p

so how many miles do you get out of a full tank?

That particular week I got 470 miles out of the tank, however the tank was nowhere near empty when I filled up in Scarborough before coming home as the fuel is cheaper up north! But i imagine I would have got nigh on 600 miles if Id continued using that existing tank.

In usual running around at home I normally get about 475-490 miles out of a tank.

My 105 Tdi arrives soon,but whats all this DPF nonsense in the brochure.Says its not suited to short journeys etc....Not a word about it in the Monte Carlo brochure I only found it in the Fabia book (after I`d ordered the car).....Has anyone reported any problems with the DPF aspect?

• 1 month later...

:thumbup: iv had my monte montecarlo tdi 105 for two weeks and 1700 miles, and has performed brilliantly, with an average consumption of 57mpg.On a long run from morecambe to cromer,265miles,each way, it gave 64mpg,when i refilled on my return. the performance is lively with superb handling,there isno hint of the sluggishness that the previous scout had,which makes me think that the latest engines have been reengineered,there are no rattles or squeeks even on morecambe`s potholed roads. my wife`s tdi 75 monte is very similar, with just a small noticable drop in power when on the move. looking forward to taking it to north wales for the first time next week,where i can put it through its paces on the A470 to ffestiniog,which i know like the back of my hand,so its in line for a bit of a thrash

I have had my monte carlo tdi 105 for a week and I am also thrilled with it. it has great power, we had 57.5mpg on a long run over the last couple of days but we have only done about 700 miles so far so hoping to get a similar figure (64mpg) on the next long run, that would be brilliant!! have you been able to connect your mobile by voice activation. i am having difficulty?

Whitelighter, you should be good for some reasonable improvement over your 1.9jtd Alfa. The 1.6CR engine is very very tight when new and like most diesel engines, especially the newer ones, take some time to achieve really good mpg and power outputs. The CR1.6 is a much shorter stroke engine than most diesels. It's still technically a long stroke motor, but by just 1mm!! So it's a square engine virtually. The resultant reduction in piston speed along with the other mods the car has to run means it's important to run it in correctly, don't molly coddle it, just follow the instructions in the book. It needs a slightly different driving technique too over the older style longer stroke diesels. Needs to revved a bit more and not slogged to get good economy. Good luck for when you get yours.

PS. my sister has just achieved a personal best of 80.4mpg in her Fabia Estate 105ps diesel! That was on a 110 (55 each way) mile run with just her in the car. That was achieved mainly in 4th gear on 'A' roads. Previously on this trip she tried to use mainly 5th gear and this produced just 67mpg. The revs were just a tad too low for good economy. It was also a very warm day which also seems to help these diesels.

PS. my sister has just achieved a personal best of 80.4mpg in her Fabia Estate 105ps diesel! That was on a 110 (55 each way) mile run with just her in the car. That was achieved mainly in 4th gear on 'A' roads. Previously on this trip she tried to use mainly 5th gear and this produced just 67mpg. The revs were just a tad too low for good economy. It was also a very warm day which also seems to help these diesels.

I will second that approach. I have the 1.4 PD engine and economy is a lot better using fourth gear up to 60 mph. It seems to like being 'on boost'. Lugging it in fifth is audibly unpleasant as well as inefficient. Using fourth is better all round and also no need to drop down for overtakes ;)

I only use fifth on dual carriageway or motorway when over 60mph. Fifth is very nice at motorway plus speeds.

Regarding the earlier post on DPF. 30,000 miles in my car and never been an issue. The new CR engines are even better at looking after the DPF. Sad fact is ALL new diesels have a DPF by law so like it or lump it....or buy a petrol.

DPF are not really suitable for short journeys due to how they work.

They are desigined to catch harmful particals,

Every once in a while it requires a regeration. this is done while the car maintains a certain speed/RPM ie Motorway driving.

I used to work in a Mercedes commercial dealer and when DPF were first introducted we had issues with couriers and the DPF purely due to start stop nature of the job