FL Headlights EU driving

I wanted to flatten the beam like you can on pre FL Octavia for driving on mainland Europe but having used the guide on octavia-vrs the FL seems to be different I cannot find any switch or lever anywhere on the unit when removed from car on either side am I missing something or is this not an option on the flaming thing?

• Like 1

I wanted to flatten the beam like you can on pre FL Octavia for driving on mainland Europe but having used the guide on octavia-vrs the FL seems to be different I cannot find any switch or lever anywhere on the unit when removed from car on either side am I missing something or is this not an option on the flaming thing?

If the standard Octavia is the same as my FL Scout flattening the beam is even easier than the the instructions on the Octavia-VRS site. All you need to do is pull the headlight unit out of the wing by undoing the nylon nut & pulling the locking lever as if you were changing a light bulb. Remove the plastic cover from the back of the reflector & there is a metal lever about half way down the side of the reflector on the side closest the engine, slide the lever down to flatten the beam. Replace & lock the headlight unit, job done. Five minutes each side, no tools required.

Edited by Skaut
  • Like 2

:thumbup: Thanks for that 'skaut' as I am going over for 3 weeks in july towing our caravan with my Scout. cheers - Stuart

If the standard Octavia is the same as my FL Scout flattening the beam is even easier than the the instructions on the Octavia-VRS site. All you need to do is pull the headlight unit out of the wing by undoing the nylon nut & pulling the locking lever as if you were changing a light bulb. Remove the plastic cover from the back of the reflector & there is a metal lever about half way down the side of the reflector on the side closest the engine, slide the lever down to flatten the beam. Replace & lock the headlight unit, job done. Five minutes each side, no tools required.

cheers dude will give it a try tonight in work and get some pics if I can to post back :thumbup:

• Like 1

Skaut thanks you were spot on FL VRS is the same or very similar

************I will point out now this is for pikey style normal lights like mine not Xenon ones they can do this via MaxiDot gurrrrr*************

This is what I did. (click on any image to enlarge)

Undo nylon securing nut on back of light cluster under bonnet.

1.jpg

Push small black square tab and pull hook on side of light cluster to unlock and release unit forward.

2.jpg

(Light cluster released)

3.jpg

Remove main larger rubber cap. (can be all done without unplugging as I did with first one only removed to counter for pic!)

4.jpg

5.jpg

Now the 2 metal levers are visible they appear to be on a bezel and moving one also moves the other simply move to opposite position.

6.jpg

7.jpg

Reassemble in reverse order and job done. emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Final result.

8.jpg

Edited by FUBAR
  • Like 2

Outstanding!

Off to Denmark & Sweden next month and have been puting this off for ages. Feel a bit braver about having a go thanks to the pix.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Just to clarify, does this give the lights a neutral stance, so you're ok sorting them out at home and driving through the UK with them on the way to the continent?

:thumbup: I would have thought that would be no probs as you just loose the kick on the nearside for lighting the kerb.I will have a go this weekend if its not raining. cheers - Stuart.

Just to clarify, does this give the lights a neutral stance, so you're ok sorting them out at home and driving through the UK with them on the way to the continent?

Yea you will not dazzle oncoming traffic in the UK with it set like this when im back in the Uk on visits I will not be changing it back until I move back there. The beam as in the pic is flat no flick up at side any more. LHD units on ebay are going for like £350 !!!!! (I don't think so!!)

Yea you will not dazzle oncoming traffic in the UK with it set like this when im back in the Uk on visits I will not be changing it back until I move back there. The beam as in the pic is flat no flick up at side any more. LHD units on ebay are going for like £350 !!!!! (I don't think so!!)

Great stuff, nice work on the pics too. :thumbup:

• Like 1

:wonder: Is it worth marking the original position of the adjusable arms for when you reset them back ? as it could fail the MOT if you reset them too high ? cheers - Stuart

:wonder: Is it worth marking the original position of the adjusable arms for when you reset them back ? as it could fail the MOT if you reset them too high ? cheers - Stuart

On mine it is a switch 2 positions no inbetween it doesn't move the bulbs. I would think it moves a reflector which transmits the light in the pattern you get either flicked or flat.

• 1 year later...

Fab just did this thanks...took 5 mins extra as I has pushing the black tab down to release the lights and on mine it worked when I pushed it up instead!..but none the less sorted in 15 mins, fantastic thanks for the pics and info :)

• Like 1

Fab just did this thanks...took 5 mins extra as I has pushing the black tab down to release the lights and on mine it worked when I pushed it up instead!..but none the less sorted in 15 mins, fantastic thanks for the pics and info :)

Good stuff! You off on holiday?

Mine was much easier to do than that ;):giggle:

Booooooooooooo xenons down with that sort of thing!

Booooooooooooo xenons down with that sort of thing!

xenons are great ;)

• Like 1

On mine it is a switch 2 positions no inbetween it doesn't move the bulbs. I would think it moves a reflector which transmits the light in the pattern you get either flicked or flat.

It moves a small shield inside the projector unit.

The shield is handed so UK RHD lamps have a shield on the opposite side to the Euro LHD.

post-88790-0-36714200-1342440220_thumb.jpg

post-88790-0-89258600-1342440228_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

is the beam pattern on these a straight kick up \_ \_ or a step up --\_ --\_ ?

ps. I can't really do a step up on the keyboard but you get the idea :-)

• Like 1

It moves a small shield inside the projector unit.

The shield is handed so UK RHD lamps have a shield on the opposite side to the Euro LHD.

You went to town on your lights??????

is the beam pattern on these a straight kick up \_ \_ or a step up --\_ --\_ ?

ps. I can't really do a step up on the keyboard but you get the idea :-)

Its a 'Z' beam as virtually all projectors are these days!

You went to town on your lights??????

Yes I did a full halogen to xenon conversion, it worked well as you can see in the images from the link.

I actually tried to instal the bi-xenon projectors but Hella place the shield motor in a really tricky location that interfers with the projector mounting frame!

http://sdrv.ms/MExWZf

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Thanks Fubar and Skaut; pikey headlight owner now very happy with his flat beams. Lovely!

Off somewhere nice?