Scratch Advice

Hi guys,

After only owning my new Black Magic Superb for a few days I've already managed to ruin it and I think I might actually cry. :'(

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h425/blackmesauk/photo.jpg

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h425/blackmesauk/photo1.jpg

...it's the lower rear bumper on the drivers side between the wheel and exhaust.

I was after some advice please...

Do I go back to the dealer and get them to repair? If so, how much do you think it might cost? ...or should I try one of the many companies who offer to repir this kind of thing? Will this void my paint warrenty with Skoda?

Please, any help or advice is welcomed. I'm just so angry with myself. It was a small concreat block poking out about 1ft from the ground. I didn't see it as I reversed. :wall:

Thank you.

The paint warranty is for the metal really ,the bumpers are plastic, so if you do not even repair nothing will come of it. A mobile repair will be around £125 as it is quite a gouge ,go easy on yourself, done it myself was in a one way car park and barrier broken so reversed into a bollard which had the top knocked of it! when you are cross with someone else you can vent your anger, when it is yourself you want to implode :@:D Skoda would be more and they would get one of these guys anyway and will make a note of it should you part x it back to them in the future.All the best Alan :thumbup:

The paint warranty is for the metal really ,the bumpers are plastic, so if you do not even repair nothing will come of it. A mobile repair will be around £125 as it is quite a gouge ,go easy on yourself, done it myself was in a one way car park and barrier broken so reversed into a bollard which had the top knocked of it! when you are cross with someone else you can vent your anger, when it is yourself you want to implode :@:D Skoda would be more and they would get one of these guys anyway and will make a note of it should you part x it back to them in the future.All the best Alan :thumbup:

Cheers Alan! I didn't consider the part exchange issue if I'm being honest so thanks for the advice! I've managed to book it in with someone tomorrow and they were responding to my e-mails Saturday night which I thought was pretty good. They've quoted me £150 for a spray and blend repair. He's said that unlike some of his competitors he uses a 2K clear coat as opposed to a 1K clear coat (which I assume is good) and that the paint he'll use will be an exact match for my cars own colour for a "bendable match". He didn't say it'll be invisible but I should only just be able to notice it if I got right up close.

What are other peoples' opinions of these kinds of repair? Good results?

Thanks for your help and advice! :thumbup:

Cheers Alan! I didn't consider the part exchange issue if I'm being honest so thanks for the advice! I've managed to book it in with someone tomorrow and they were responding to my e-mails Saturday night which I thought was pretty good. They've quoted me £150 for a spray and blend repair. He's said that unlike some of his competitors he uses a 2K clear coat as opposed to a 1K clear coat (which I assume is good) and that the paint he'll use will be an exact match for my cars own colour for a "bendable match". He didn't say it'll be invisible but I should only just be able to notice it if I got right up close.

£150! I would want the whole bumper doing for that and it be totally invisible. I would be tempted to try a touch up and flatting it down myself but then again i have a machine polisher!

Offer to pay in cash , you should get 25 pounds off for that, not noticable on mine :thumbup:

Made the mistake of using a different lance on pressure washer at the weekend and while packing up scratched the wing of the car as its metal nozzle protrudes from plastic collar!:doh:

So a quick email to Chips Away resulted in a call from them 2 hours later to arrange for a local agent to come and assess the damage.

Very knowledgeable chap who looked at the bonnet and wheels also as there are plenty of stone chips and a couple of scuffs on the alloys.

If you havent comitted yet at least you will be able to see my experience before and after.

scratch.png

chipsaway.jpg

Quote split into just the Wing @ £144 ( inc few chips on bonnet) or wing/alloys £264. Not cheap by any means but a necessity in my book.

Made the mistake of using a different lance on pressure washer at the weekend and while packing up scratched the wing of the car as its metal nozzle protrudes from plastic collar!:doh:

So a quick email to Chips Away resulted in a call from them 2 hours later to arrange for a local agent to come and assess the damage.

Very knowledgeable chap who looked at the bonnet and wheels also as there are plenty of stone chips and a couple of scuffs on the alloys.

If you havent comitted yet at least you will be able to see my experience before and after.

scratch.png

chipsaway.jpg

Quote split into just the Wing @ £144 ( inc few chips on bonnet) or wing/alloys £264. Not cheap by any means but a necessity in my book.

Hi there,

First of all, I feel really sorry for you fella, I would absolutely gutted. My father had a bit of a coming together with a wall in his old Nissan Terrano when it reversed into it. Apparently it just jumped out from behind him! He ended up with horrendous gouges in the rear bumper which he had repaired by a smart repair company locally. The total cost of the repair was £85.00. I may be worth going back to the dealership where you bought it to see if they have any contacts who would do the repair at a discounted rate. I know some dealers get nasty scrapes repaired before they put them on the forecourt for sale. It's worth a shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, had Russell from ChipsAway pay the Octy a visit today.

Very knowledgeable chap who was both Proffesional and courteous.

Arrived at 8.30am and finished the task at 3 pm. Was suprised at the scale of the exercise.

He also attended to a few chips on the bonnet which made a huge difference!:thumbup:

After he had finished the exercise he noticed an issue with the lacquer. Closer inspection revealed a minor defect in approx 2 inch square part of the panel.

Looks like grey fleck in the paintwork which woudnt polish out. So, he said he could remove and start the process again or wait (preferred) approx 3 weeks and return to sort it out.

Was a little disapointed but agreed to wait 3 weeks and have him return. He said he didnt want paying until the job was done to satisfaction which I thought was good :thumbup:

P1170967.jpg

P1170975.jpg

P1170961.jpg

P1170991.jpg

P1170981.jpg

Looks a lot better than having a 1 inch long, deep scratch on it :thumbup:

Back in 3 weeks!;)

Would also check for overspray before he comes back - i know of people had their car totally covered and i can see there wasn't much protection to the rest of the car on yours.

• 1 month later...

Well...

They came en force! :D

Russell did the re-prep and other chap all the spraying.

Better job of it this time although if I have to be honest you can still easily tell

Even second time around there are faults in the lacquer(orange peel like dimples) and noticeable colour difference to bumper.

What do you do? Brassed off really but dont want to bother again. The wing is protected and the work guaranteed.

Question: Would you use them again?

Answer: No.

Question: Would you do it yourself and just put up with a slight mark rather than having your attention drawn to the entire wing?

Answer: Yes.