Running in a CR diesel

Let the oil get to temp and drive it hard through all the gears. Beds in the piston rings properly so you get more power and don't use as much oil.

No need to be gentle with engines nowadays.

lemonvrs, sometime ago I posted a link from www.honestjohn.co.uk site. I have just had a quick look on the honestjohn site but cannot find the original storyline. My engine is a 1.9PD unit and therefore may well have had a different running in process , if any.

Are there any words of wisdom in your handbook? Have you had a chat with the supplying garage?

If I recall correctly, one view with the CR is that you simply drive the car in the normal manner, just try to avoid the higher rev range for the first couple of thousand miles. I have no doubt that others will contribute as the day goes by.

In the meantime,welcome and enjoy your new car whilst the sun-shines.

I just drive it as normal, but avoid hard acceleration and labouring the engine... Had two diesels from new, one did 85k and used no oil between services and the current one has 45k and doesn't use any either...

Edited by The PM

Hi

Having had several new vw diesels from new, I would just drive as normal and as already said avoid letting the engine labour. A little oil consumtoin is normal for the first few thousand miles.

I would be interested in knowing what fuel consumtion figures you get from this new coomon rail diesel, so keep us posted.

Enjoy the car.

Tony

I must admit to being a little nervous re the fuel economy! I test drove a Fabia Estate 105 tdi and drove it in varying conditions for 40 miles, computer recorded 60.4mpg so I imagine the Roomster will be a bit less after its all run in.

In my experience of diesels you don't start to see advertised MPG until at least 10,000 miles then it improves until you reach about 30,000, after which time it remains about the same. I would say the car will be fully loosened up by the time it reaches 20,000 miles. That is based on Citroen and Toyota engines, not sure if VAG are the same.