Help Needed! Ran out of Diesel !

Ran out of diesel (stupid, I know), just put 6 litres in and the car won't start. I know Diesels are harder to get going than petrols if they run of fuel, but how can I get it started?

There is no manual pump thingy on the fuel filter.

My car is safe in a lay by, but I could do with it pretty soon and don't want to pay breakdown costs.

Thanks in advance!

Hopefully you haven't dragged any crap through from the tank and blocked something, so I would suggest you just crank it over a lot.

Or perhaps you could remove the round thing from the top of the fuel filter and pour some diesel in to get you going.

I would pour some fuel into the top of the diesel filter (as per Trundlenut, above). Changing the filter and not doing this required a *lot* of cranking to get the car started again. A good battery is a must! Don't crank it for too long at any one time though incase the starter motor burns out.... :doh:

Thanks Salut, I will def put some diesel in the fuel filter, just a bit confused on where exactly to pour it in. I should have had a better look at the filter before I left the car.

Thanks rwbaldwin, where is injector 3 located incase I have to do this?

Cheers

murfy83jm - I just can't put my children to bed without an ending to the story! Have you managed to get going yet or are you still in the lay-by?

:D By the lack of a post, he must still be stuck in a lay-by somewhere.... :doh:

Usually you'll need 2 gallons (9 litres) to get a diesel to start after running out. If your still struggling then put another gallon in and try to bleed it from the injectors again.

Hope this helps.

Regards Dave