Shark visit - impressive results!

rob_e

Rob_e, can I check if the rest of the car is still stock (other than the map) when you did the dyno. Meaning that the car has stock air filter, exhaust, IC, stock pipping, etc.? :)

Yes. The only variation from stock is a revision D diverter.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update:

Although Ben had cured my original mis-fire when I was up in Mansfield last week, there was still a less severe and less frequent / intermittant misfire on cylinder 1 (you can see this in the second graph I posted on page 1). This was hardly noticable in normal driving and only occurred very occasionally, and not at all on the stock map.

Anyway, wanting to get the car spot-on, I got myself another coil from the local factors and I popped that in yesterday. Only done 80 miles or so with that in but it looks to have solved the problem.

The car is super-quick with the new map, i think also smoother and with the extra torque its very nice to drive - you end up going quick by surfing the big torque band you've got rather than red-lining all the time. Its very impressive. When you're going quick it appears to be glugging more fuel than the original stage 1 map but i guess that's to be expected given the increases, but it'll still cruise easily at mid-thirties mpg on a run.

:)

Cheers for the update rob. Let's hope the car is now sorted for good.

Did you notice a difference between stage 1 original vs tweaked? I'm looking forward to getting mine and testing it. I tend to find that the redline is pointless anyway as I can feel the power drop at about 6.5k so it's better to change gear anyway. I guess with the new torque you can accelerate better without changing gear which is nice.

Did you notice a difference between stage 1 original vs tweaked?

I didn't run the maps side by side so any comparison would be "memory based" hence not really reliable. The dyno results speak for themselves, original stage 1 386Nm, revised is 419Nm on one run and 436Nm on another..

I'm looking forward to getting mine and testing it. I tend to find that the redline is pointless anyway as I can feel the power drop at about 6.5k so it's better to change gear anyway. I guess with the new torque you can accelerate better without changing gear which is nice.

Yep, squeeze the throttle 80-100mpg in top it just zips, like the standard car would do if you'd changed down to 4th.

:)

Got any more engine type mods planned or you just going to enjoy the car for a bit? I guess you can finally drive it properly now so its happy days for you.

If I was going to do anything more, i'd look at a couple of cheap mods, the pre-cat removal and torque arm insert (nobafett has this plus a few others) to keep everything nice an tight, but no, I'm not going to be throwing more money at the car at this stage.

B)

Had a chat with Ben and he says it's nothing to worry about. I just need to check to see how it drives as when I had this code before I had flat spots. Ben says he will work on the map to try and get rid of this code which is essentially for our peace of mind.

Hey Guys, just checked my VRS today for fault codes, and came up with P0299, anyone got any idea what this is?

'Boost Pressure Regulation: Control Range Not Reached' - see for more info and a few pointers:

http://wiki.ross-tec...83/P0299/000665

Also a thread that could be of interest over on Vortex, which involves an APR stage-2 A3: http://forums.vwvort...tg2-Please-help

thanks Wardy, had thought about the Diverter valve actually, as its apparently quite prone to failure, but Ive had no symptoms, as in the whistling or lack of power, and it still drives smoothly, perhaps mines is just in the very early stages, but just seems odd for us both to have it....

I still have this annoying fault code and changed everything and still got the code. There is essentially nothing wrong with it apart from its not making the requested boost for a split second and it raises a fault code. I have driven 21000 miles with it and had no issues at all with the stage 1 map. Though I am going to pop and see Ben about tweaking the map to account for the precat removal and my new sfs boost hoses that are fitted to see what extra we can get out of it. Then save a bit and go for stage 2....or maybe stage 3 B)

Im going straight to stage 2 myself, got everything here for it, just need to wait until winter time, as not to spoil myself!

Nicky, Ive only just put the map on last night so have had no chance to test it properly yet, I may get a better chance this evening although it takes a few hundred miles regardless for the ECU to adapt....

Stock map ran 210bhp (although it only seemed to "peak" at that level for a split second then drop back down to 200-ish). Based on that I'd say the Dyno was calibrated pretty much spot on.

First run on the "original" stage 1 map showed peak 241bhp and 386Nm which is pretty good.

Best run on the tweaked stage 1 map showed a peak 245bhp and 436Nm torque (!) and that with a hot car and an ambient temp in the dyno room of 29 degrees!

Ben also did me a graph showing the stock map overlaid with the final revision. What's key is not the headline numbers (although both are impressive in isolation) but the difference between the two curves. The power curve in the mid-range is circa 70bhp higher than OE, and torque near 100Nm higher! All this is where you'll feel it most, for accelleration, overtaking etc.

I got my revised file through from Ben last week (cheers Ben!) but wasn't able to upload it onto the car until I got to work this morning. I then drove home from work this evening with this revised map and I can't say I noticed any difference. Actually, thats not strictly correct, I thought the acceleration was worse than it had been when I drove to work this morning.

I am going to double-check it is actually the "performance map update" file that I have transferred to my STS then onto the car but I am 99.99% positive it is.

Does it take a few days for the full effect to become apparent? I know that a subtle 4bhp (going my rob's figures above) wouldn't be noticeable but I thought the difference in the torque figures would be immediately apparent, not quite as night-and-day as the difference between standard and the performance map but still a clear step up from performance map to performance update map.

Any views?

Just checked the car with my STS and I had the same PO299 fault code so I have put the standard "Originale" map back on the car until I can figure out, probably with Ben's help, what the issue is (if any).

ok I noticed the map is stronger than the previous one, also I checked yesterday, and after clearing the fault initially, its not come back, perhaps a fault occurs during adaption. Ill check for a code again tomorrow and report back