2006 VRS recall notices just announced - ECU and ignition coils

Is there anyway to check if the software revision has been done? By using a diagnostic tool?

There is a simple check with VCDS for this update.

The old version of software relates to a VAG Part number of : 1Z0 907 115 - 0010

The new version of the software relates to VAG Part number of: 1Z0 907 115 A - 0040

The service campaign that this relates to is 24K5

This is the definitive way to check whether your ECU actually has the 24K5 update regardless of whether it's been claimed for.

HTH :thumbup:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine went in for the coil pack recall a few months ago, approx 2 weeks ago a few lights lit up on the dash , the exhaust gasses light the epc light and the tyre pressure light ? I contacted my local skoda who reeled off possible faults etc 1 being brake fluid ? they couldnt get me in for ages so I went to an independant who looks after my dads car and he did a dignostics check and cleared the faults , low n behold a few hours later the lights were back on, so yet another phone call to Skoda who eventually said it could be down to an incorrect software update that was done by themselves(different dealership) for the previous owner and I would have to pay £150 for a re flash as such :no: So I unleashed the heavily pregnant SWMBO on them and miracles do happen they said they could do it f.o.c as such but I would have to pay an initial £40 for the dignostics check .

Took it in last wednesday and it was sorted Job Done :thumbup::thumbup:

Now I read this and it could be down to a genuine recall so it looks like Skoda have pulled my pants down and jolly rodgered me :o

Where do I stand now do I go in and check to see if my 2006 VRS is on the recall cus to be honest they are not very forthcoming with notices etc ?

My car is in on Monday for this, but I checked what the ECU updates was (I have declined this) and it is to correct a possible faulty overheat warning.

This effects 2006 cars, so an ECU update for a faulty overheat warning on cars that are 5 years older - surely this would have surfaced by now it if was an issue?!

Just called Bickertons at Sheffield and they have booked my car in for friday afternoon(2006 tfsi vrs)They said they will check the part numbers.

Fantastic service.

Hope it will cure the "hiccuping" tickover the cars had since I got it...

Is this an absolutely confirmed recall on coil packs for pre-2008 Tfsi engines? I only ask as I have just had a call back from my local stealer and they have said that the only recall on my index and chassis number was an engine control module which was done in 2009 (news to me)!

If they are fobbing me off I may be forced to name and shame.......!

Is this an absolutely confirmed recall on coil packs for pre-2008 Tfsi engines? I only ask as I have just had a call back from my local stealer and they have said that the only recall on my index and chassis number was an engine control module which was done in 2009 (news to me)!

If they are fobbing me off I may be forced to name and shame.......!

No, as mentioned this is for 2006 cars, the recall affects only a limited number of cars. Your chassis number/reg will come up if it is affected however an inspection is then required to see which leads are fitted, they are not always changed.

My car has been ballistic this evening, my original leads much have had degraded...

If you take it to Skoda it will be 1hrs labour to fit, it's actually quicker than that but that's what the computer allocates for this type of job.

So how much is a coil pack? Anyone know?

Just curious.

Just got mine back from Bickerton Skoda. All 4 replaced apparentely!! Fantastic service as usual.

"Hiccuping" tickover seems to have gone.But then it didn't do it all the time, Only time will tell.

Update...Don't know if it's the placebo effect but car feel much faster and smoother.

I thought it was running fine but now it feel say 20bhp faster.

Will know better when it's dry and I try it out on my favourite road-all within the speed limit obviously.....

Just booked in with Simpson's Skoda at Preston, took a bit of effort as the receptionist was rather useless, but the guy in service was pretty helpful. Will report back once it's been done on Wednesday :)

Just booked in with Simpson's Skoda at Preston, took a bit of effort as the receptionist was rather useless, but the guy in service was pretty helpful. Will report back once it's been done on Wednesday :)

I found Simpsons to be a nightmare, so much in fact that I use Lightcliffe Skoda Warrington, they're also open on Sundays. Bit more of a trek, but they give a good service. I had the injector problem, spoke to Simpsons preston, who informed me there was no issues. Spoke to warrington who booked me in straight away and changed all 4 plus wiring looms. My Father-in-Law bought a Superb from Preston and they messed him around for ages. Then they loaded the wrong software onto his sat-nav and killed it, no POI's, No Postcodes. In the end they had to replace the whole unit.

Anyway well off topic :giggle:

Hope that they do you proud buddy. But always a hint for any other further issue

Edited by Deneo

Well, got the coil packs replaced this morning. Total invoice value was about £110, with half an hour labour - can't really moan at that.

I was waiting an hour and a half though, since I got an unexpected 'free vehicle health check' (after which they recommended about £1000s worth of work - inexpensive parts but shedloads of labour, surprisingly - including a cambelt and 20k service which were clearly marked as completed in June this year in my service book :doh: ) and the car had a (bad) wash including dashboard shine stuff all over the steering wheel.

Maybe I'm picky but the idle feels the same or worse and the car down on power. Guess they disconnected the battery so the ECU will need some time to re-adjust (Revo Stage 1 map)...

Edited by AdamR

Had my coil packs done today at Ingrams Skoda in Ayr FOC.

I phoned Henrys skoda in Glasgow, they said they'd check my car on their system, they got back to me the next day saying my car wasn't covered, I then chanced my leg and phoned Ingrams skoda in Ayr who confirmed my car WAS included in the recall, they booked me in and the packs were fitted today.. Result...thanks Briskoda.....I'll be setting up my Freedom membership in the next day or two :thumbup:

Had my coil packs done today at Ingrams Skoda in Ayr FOC.

I phoned Henrys skoda in Glasgow, they said they'd check my car on their system, they got back to me the next day saying my car wasn't covered, I then chanced my leg and phoned Ingrams skoda in Ayr who confirmed my car WAS included in the recall, they booked me in and the packs were fitted today.. Result...thanks Briskoda.....I'll be setting up my Freedom membership in the next day or two :thumbup:

What year is your car?mine is a 57reg and was told it is ok but after reading your post not so sure.the car drives spot on but does seem to have a very very small missfire on idle.

I popped in to All Electric Skoda in Birmingham this afternoon to pick up a spare part. While talking to the service manager I asked him to check whether my coils needed checking and changing. He took my car reg, checked on the computer and confirmed it needed doing. He asked me when I wanted to book it in and suggested it could be done while I waited. All 4 coils were replaced free of charge within 30 minutes. Very efficient in my opinion.