Heel and toe?

Having just test driven a new vrs petrol and diesel can anyone answer my couple of queries?

Does the diesel ecu allow you to cover both the brake and throttle? Doesn't feel as if it does. Petrol vrs does seem to.

To heel and toe properly the throttle is a little low in comparison to the pressed brake - is there any adjustment in the pedals?

I know several people will poo poo heel and toe but to me it's the way you should drive :)

I pent bloody ages learning to H&T and when I got my Octy I didn't even think about trying it first. Gutted I was..........

Still, I ended up with a DSG next so it was all academic by that point! :-)

I spent bloody ages learning to H&T and when I got my Octy I didn't even think about trying it first. Gutted I was..........

Still, I ended up with a DSG next so it was all academic by that point! :-)

If you really want to make a difference to your driving I suggest learning how to left foot brake. You do it in a go-kart so why is it so hard in a normal car?!

I was lucky enough to learn from the best in the business Penti Airikkala. The man was on a different planet to everybody else when he got in a car. RIP

http://www.leftfootbraking.com/

Neither will let you, sadly.

diesel defo wouldn't - are your sure on petrol? deemed to let me blip down but with the pedal height difference it was pretty hard to get right on a half hour test drive.

LFB... no need on the road IMO - left to snow and the loose. Trail braking yes - LFB nope.

current daily transport is an alfa GTA with lsd and with it being a 156 no nanny stability (a very loud 263bhp) - very cool IMO but 128k miles and need of a newer family car - vrs fits the bill 100%

diesel defo wouldn't - are your sure on petrol? deemed to let me blip down but with the pedal height difference it was pretty hard to get right on a half hour test drive.

+1.

I can just reach the throttle and give it a prod, when I'm on the brake and it will rev, but the height difference between the two pedals means its very hard to accurately modulate, plus there is minimal benefit on the road in the vRS in my experience.

With a car with a better located brake pedal, a more responsive blippy engine, and rwd its more relevant, but for the vRS, nope.

;)

As Nick P has eluded to, we solve this problem.

Having said that, you can still heel and toe without issue as the ECU takes the last input, hence you would brake and then blip the throttle.

As Nick P has eluded to, we solve this problem.

Having said that, you can still heel and toe without issue as the ECU takes the last input, hence you would brake and then blip the throttle.

A Free upgrade??.. B)

I love your style of business Ben, the aftercare and support is trully awesome. :thumbup:

What is the point in heel and toe in a front wheel drive car (especially on the road)?

That's a genuine question by the way, not a pop.

I do it sometimes in the BMW and used to do it in my VX220 but both of these were rear wheel drive and if you were pushing on and didn't match the revs you have the danger of locking the rear wheels.

This isn't really a problem in a front wheel drive car is it?

What is the point in heel and toe in a front wheel drive car (especially on the road)?

That's a genuine question by the way, not a pop.

I do it sometimes in the BMW and used to do it in my VX220 but both of these were rear wheel drive and if you were pushing on and didn't match the revs you have the danger of locking the rear wheels.

This isn't really a problem in a front wheel drive car is it?

depends how hard you drive on the road ;) no really its how i've always driven and enjoy driving like that

anything which keeps the transition smoother helps to keep it balanced. not as critical as a mid engined / rwd etc but still makes a big difference IMO. I've done it since first passing my test (actually before - worn syncro on a mini) and have continued.

Scariest instance of non 'hat' was as a passenger in a GTM libra (i used to have a v6 one)- the guy dropped it down two gears on a greasy damp oulton park resulting in the ass end locking at 70mph.... shell oils corner had a black and brown streak that day...

• 4 weeks later...