New MGTF - Bargain or Rubbish?

My_Yeti

Cheap yes, Rubbish yes, they where Rubbish when they appeared 10-15 years ago.

A 2k MX5 would do everything it could do and more, if it was a Mid Engine type car and I had 10K it would be a boxster or more likely a late MR2 with money left over to sort the cat's and make some tweaks :)

My mate has one and made me drive it once. Whatever you do, don't spend your own money on one. There was nothing at all that I liked about the car and I really struggled to find anything positive to say about it. It was just plain wrong.

These cars are very, very badly made, have been sat around for anything up to 2 years, using substandard Chinese made parts, and what use is a warranty, if your nearest MG dealer is 100 miles away? Also there are increasing doubts of the brand remaining in the UK, as more & more dealers chuck in the towel, especially as Motorpoint have snapped up these.

I expect these will find homes at that price, but I wouldn't advise buying one.

They are pretty dated now and weren't class leading when launched.

Spending a similar amount on an MX5, Z4, or other decent roadster will be a better idea.

If you want an MG, go for one of these instead.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-RV8-RV-8-MGR-V8-WOODCOTE-GREEN-24K-1995-M-/330638832443?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4cfb9c333b

Edited by Dr Zoidberg

I doubt MG's reappearance will last very long so the warranty might not be worth the paper it's written on.

Much better options for £10k are about.

As said an MX-5 is a pretty safe bet.

You might want to look at Honda S2000 that are in your budget. I've friends who have one as a summer car it's a Y and has been faultless.

Also BMW Z4 is a possibility.

A guy in my office bought one 2 months ago as a toy. His garage said to him that if he'd have said to them that he was thinking of buying one they would have tried to put him off as there are reliability issues with them. It's since needed a new engine, at £2300 fitted, pretty much what he paid for the car. Needless to say he was gutted.

I'd say these can't be worth more than what the very last ones go for on eBay. So come a price tag of say £4000 or less you would still need to have your head read to buy one of these. Did Motorpoint not also buy hundreds of Cityrovers when that deal went sour too? I have often wondered how long those were on their books... These MGTFs will also sit there a long time I bet.

Like the Fiat Barchetta became a NO-NO when Fiat started building the facelifted ones (Magiori built the pre-facelift ones) you go for the real thing (Magiori Barchetta or UK built MGTF) and certainly not something like this CKD concocted affair. I might have had some crash safety when originally tested MADE FROM UK STEEL but now? Have you seen NCAP tests of Chinese cars?! They can copy well but they have no idea how varying strength steel works or that what looks like just normal steel is in fact something else... So I really won't want to be in a crash in one of these contraptions.

And yes I know you are not really considering one! :giggle:

I see something very strange. We all seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet here! Only someone with their brains removed would even think about buying one. As soon as one of these snotters leaves the forecourt, that's £5k wiped off it's value and in 12 months, nobody in the trade would want it. It's like an idiot who bought a Kia Magentis brand new in 2009, and is now 'protesting' outside Kia UK, saying his car is worthless...DUH!

Concerns about safety due to Chinese build are probably unfounded. Its not a Chinese design after all and I'm not sure Chinese mild steel is intrinsically inferior/weaker.

Even for the MG 6 (which has much more original Chinese input) I haven't read anything in the motoring press along those lines.

Having just looked at MX-5s on Autotrader I have to say I'd punt for an approved used MX-5 over the MG for 10K.

Edited by juan27

There are concerns about the shells, and the steel isn't quite the same quality. The TF is a very, very old design now (16 years old), and would be lucky to score a 2 star NCAP rating. And the 6 hasn't even been tested by EuroNCAP yet, which means 'choc ice in heatwave' syndrome.

Chinese knockoff cars & the Brilliance brand were banned from sale in Europe, simply because in low speed impacts, they just disintegrated, and when examined, the steel was very thin, and welds were very, very poor.

Rimmers of Bracebridge in Lincoln have actually taken some unfinished shells into stock, but for anyone re-shelling, I would run away, as these have no anti corrosion treatment, and are just bare steel.

For a bit more money you can have my 2004 MX5 SE Turbo with 300bhp, although you'll need to ship it from Oz.

300bhp, :o OMG I bet that's insane.

My 158bhp MX5 is fun enough for me.

Paid just over £9k for a 57reg with just 16k on the clock.

Was out in it yesterday for a bit of "traction control off" action.

It is a hoot to drive. Sooooooo different from my Fabia.

Rimmers of Bracebridge in Lincoln have actually taken some unfinished shells into stock, but for anyone re-shelling, I would run away, as these have no anti corrosion treatment, and are just bare steel.

That's actually not that far from Brimma's place. Coincidence? ;)