Upping power without affecting turbo

Mark1983

Hi all,

Quick question I was pondering today.

Going to order my Shark STS on Wednesday which in hoping wont kill anything (turbo, clutch, DMF etc)

Would perhaps an intercooler & turboback exhaust achieve similar power without putting strain on the turbo?

No, at best they may give you 5 BHP or something.

There's a link on here, think it's in piper performance section that talks about a turboback exhaust giving 18 bhp over standard with an additional 45nm torque tho

Unless the car was over producing to start with tho lol

Edited by Mark1983

Yes the PD130, most will produce closer to 150 BHP completely standard once they're good 'n' loose, so it's an advertising no-brainer for Piper to claim that theirs produced 148 BHP once their cat back system and 'panel filter' was fitted. Neither of these 'mods' will make any difference other than lightening your wallet and increasing their bank balance, unless of course you actually need a new exhaust system in which case it may actually be cheaper to buy the Piper system than a new standard system. I'd definitely give the panel filter a miss if I were you though!

Im actually slightly worried now tho cos I'm ordering a shark STS system in a couple of days which claims a sensible upgrade to around 165bhp. I'm gonna feel pretty gutted if I find it's only upped the power by 15 ish lol, almost not worth doing IMO for £450 :-(

Altho that said I'm sure it will make it more drivable with a larger useable rev range...

Im actually slightly worried now tho cos I'm ordering a shark STS system in a couple of days which claims a sensible upgrade to around 165bhp. I'm gonna feel pretty gutted if I find it's only upped the power by 15 ish lol, almost not worth doing IMO for £450 :-(

Altho that said I'm sure it will make it more drivable with a larger useable rev range...

Forget about peak power. The difference in the way it drives will be night and day.

Unless you RR the car regularly, on the same RR, all the feedback available is how it drives.

Unless you buy one of these or similar...

http://www.gtechpro.com/

Personally, I think standard cars make more like 140 usually. I declared mine to the ins at 170, which seems reasonable.

It's the greater midrange torque that makes the real difference with the remap, IMO. Go too far though and it's new clutch time though...

J.

I believe the only way to get extra power is by altering the fueling. Be it a resister of a remap. Things like filters, exhausts won't do anything. All that might do is increase air flow which on a diesel means nothing unless you alter the fueling to match.

Guest BigJase88

The lad who had mine ran

Bmc filter

Pd150 hybid

Seat sport fmic

Milltek cat and exhaust

All on the standard map and i bet it was still only 140bhp at the time

I'm intrigued - think I'll get mine on the rollers, think there's one down the road from me actually - team dynamics or something

Is there a section on briskoda where people can post up their power graphs?? :-)

A stage 1 remap is meant to be for a stock car, our stage 1 maps certainly are and therefore don't require any other modifications such as FMIC, exhausts etc. Our maps are very smooth rather than clutch killers, obviously if the clutch is already badly worn then there's a chance that the extra power will send it over the edge, but very, very rarely.

Personally I think items like a bigger FMIC just prolong your Turbo's life rather than provide extra BHP. IMHO I'd get a FMIC and new clutch before getting a remap.

For the FMIC in particular, it'll keep the inlet air cool and higher outputs, especially in the heat of summer. Not likely to be a problem imminently though - LOL. On that basis, though you won't gain power per-se, it's quite possible you'd notice a difference as the system will be working more efficiently/happily whereas previously it'd heat-soak.

J.