vRS Speedo

ab vrs

Only had my vRS 3 weeks and loving it, but while driving home from work I looked to check my speed, then a double take at the speedo, the markings go, 60, 70, 80, 100, 120.

What the hell happened to 90? there's no change in markings at all, so it would be really easy to be doing 80ish then the speedo has moved a couple more marks and you're doing near 100mph

Watch out, I was amazed how easy it was to do without realising!!

Well I never; I've been driving mine for a year now and never noticed.

However on one occasion, I remember looking at the speedo and thinking '???? I'm doing nearly a ton' and immediately slowing to my normal ?0 mph.

Wonder if this is legal?

This is what EU Directive 75/443/EEC says:

4.2.2. In the case of a speedometer manufactured for sale in any Member State where imperial units of measurement are used, and where transitional arrangements in accordance with Article 5 are in force, the speedometer shall be marked both in km/h and in mph (miles per hour) ; the graduations shall be of 1, 2, 5 or 10 km/h and also of 1, 2, 5 or 10 mph and the values of the speed indicated on the dial shall be multiples of 20 km/h and multiples of 20 mph.

I am doubtful that changing the multiple halfway round the dial is legal and also that there are no KPH on the dial.

There may be an amendment to the regs that allows a digital KPH.

So here's the answer EU Directive 97/39:

5.1.4. In the case of vehicles of categories M, N, and L3

, L4

and L5 manufactured for sale in any country

where imperial units are used, the speedometer shall also be marked in mph (miles per hour); the

graduation shall be of 1, 2, 5 or 10 mph. The numerical values of the speed shall be indicated on

the display at intervals not exceeding 20 mph and commencing at 10 or 20 mph. The indicated

numerical speed value intervals need not be uniform.

Tony :nerd:

Never noticed! Nota sure what it was like on my old Elegance Estate, probably the same but throughout the 7 years I had it never noticed.

I wonder how accurate it is at high speed, maybe the ratio changes higher up?

I did notice the speedo on the new vRS is only in mph with a digital kph. Wouldn't have thought is was illegal as I have ridden bikes with just a digital readout which you could switch between the two but not show both at the same time.

Wonder if this is legal?

y :nerd:

I'm sure they will say it is fine as the speed limit on any road in the UK is 70mph, but what about Autobhans? Is an EU directive a guideline, that doesnt equate to an actual law? Probably, if the Mercs and BMWs have the same "Feature".

Maybe more cost cutting? :D

Edited by Brin

I'm sure they will say it is fine as the speed limit on any road in the UK is 70mph

Doesn't give us much margin for error when our limit goes up to 80mph soon.

I will probably set a speed warning at 90mph tomorrow.

Tony :nerd:

well what we need is someone with a satnav to blast down at dual carriageway at 120-140mph and report back as to how accurate there speedo measured up against the Satnav.

obviously best to exercise a little responsibility, probs best on a monday night at 3-4am in the morning when roads are quiet

well what we need is someone with a satnav to blast down at dual carriageway at 120-140mph and report back as to how accurate there speedo measured up against the Satnav.

obviously best to exercise a little responsibility, probs best on a monday night at 3-4am in the morning when roads are quiet

Or maybe a German member on an Autobahn where that speed is legal, :giggle:

• 2 weeks later...

same on german cars 140/160/180 /210/240/270

My son-in-law drives a new Passat, which has identical instruments to the vRS Fabia, except the speedo is calibrated 'properly', i.e. 90 between 80-100mph.

I have now set my speed warning up at 90mph and am comfortable with that.

Regards

Tony :thumbup: