Smoking whilst Driving

Sippo

Looks like the welsh are trying to ban smoking whilst driving. I totally agree on this. If it's illegal to eat whilst driving, then smoking should be as well as you only have one hand on the steering wheek. I also HATE it when they throw their dirty fag ends out when you are following them! Grrr.

Seems natural, since you are in-taking a mind-altering substance while driving, as well having some fire in your hand while driving...

All sounds good to me! Roll it out elsewhere too - hate following smokers cars, you can always smell it :sick:

I'm anti nanny state but this is a good call. When I smoked (many years ago) I tried to smoke and drive on one occasion - gave up after a few puffs and put the cigarette out in the ashtray - to me it's as dangerous as being on the mobile, which I absolutely hate to see.

I too am not keen on the Nanny state: there again I do not understand why others have to pick up the bill for someones chosen foolish life style. As for smoking in cars, my father in law smokes a pipe at full volume insisting it is his human rights! Needless to say, we no longer accept lifts from him nor does he travel in our car. Surprisingly, it was our children that ask for the arrangement. None have been car sick since!

I'm not sure smoking in the car is a particular problem. I can't remember ever seeing anyone with a fag in one hand getting road rage.

That said, anyone who smokes in a confined area (be it a car, house, or whatever), with their own children, really needs to sort their head out.

Yeh great , and while were at it lets ban the following

stereo systems , the music distracts your concentration from driving and if loud can stop you hearing warning horns and sirens thereby making you a danger to the public.

Manual gearboxes , the fact that you have to move one hand from the steering wheel sometimes very frequently means your not always in full control of the car and again you are a danger to the public .

Onboard phone systems , If your talking to someone you are not concentrating on your driving and therefore are again a danger to the public

Screen satnavs / stickers, screens are to see through , every satnav/sticker is a blind spot .

Front passenger seats , Having someone next to you talking and fidgeting is distracting , ideally driver areas should be partitioned off the same as Taxi's to allow full concentration on driving.

Cars that can do more than 70mph , if thats our speed limit why do we need to build cars that do twice that,they should of course be banned .

Sadly i cant see any of the above happening because this state of ours believes in stupid common sense and tolerance .

Yes i am but only when i am on my own before you ask. My tin hat is now firmly affixed to my head -fire away

I suspect that one day it all might happen, DC, but the problem here is that the original poster has done a Daily Mail, and only half reported what is actually proposed, and everyone else has blindly followed on without actually finding out the truth.

Let's get the facts straight.

The Welsh Assembly have ASKED people not to smoke in their cars whilst there are children with them. At the moment it is a voluntary request, but they have said that if it is significantly ignored then they could try and make it Law.

So before people "go off on one" check the FACTS! :dull:

The Welsh Assembly have ASKED people not to smoke in their cars whilst there are children with them. At the moment it is a voluntary request, but they have said that if it is significantly ignored then they could try and make it Law.

Do we know who will be monitoring this to see how significantly it's being ignored (and my guess is it will be)? Perhaps it's merely a "popularity"-tester before going ahead and pushing it through as law.

I must be getting cynical, but it seems a bit draconian to me to try and control how people live their lives (even if it is simply by asking them). Freedom of choice and all that :)

Chris

Edited by ScoobyChris

I don't care if people smoke in their cars, its when they throw their butts out the window which annoys me more than anything!

Yup! And they can be done for littering for doing that too!

I really hate when you follow someone who is smoking too... bloody stinks! I turn on the recirculate button on the climate!

Phil

Do we know who will be monitoring this to see how significantly it's being ignored (and my guess is it will be)? Perhaps it's merely a "popularity"-tester before going ahead and pushing it through as law.

I must be getting cynical, but it seems a bit draconian to me to try and control how people live their lives (even if it is simply by asking them). Freedom of choice and all that :)

Chris

Wales pushed through the smoking inside ban before England, so it could happen. Hopefully :)

I also HATE it when they throw their dirty fag ends out when you are following them! Grrr.

Like the lowered 55 plate silver Fabia vRS on aftermarket wheels who through his fag end at my car this morning as he was passing me outside Aylesbury colleage at about 8.15ish.

Personally I couldn't really care less if they want to smoke when driving, as long as I don't have to inhale/ smell/ have it thrown at my car. Nothing worse than being stuck behind one of them when they're having a puff in a traffic jam in the summer. :|

Looks like the welsh are trying to ban smoking whilst driving. I totally agree on this. If it's illegal to eat whilst driving, then smoking should be as well as you only have one hand on the steering wheek. I also HATE it when they throw their dirty fag ends out when you are following them! Grrr.

We don't need more laws. And smoking is already as 'illegal' as eating. We didn't need a mobile phone law.

All that happens is that the police use the new laws to raise revenue or hit fake targets.

Careless/dangerous laws already exist. If they are applied correctly none of this new legislation is needed.

I don't care if people smoke in their cars, its when they throw their butts out the window which annoys me more than anything!

+1 nothing worse than being hit in the helmet by a smouldering stub.

Even in the car if it its the front grill it stinks for ages.

Dangerous too. My old man had a insurance client who had to claim. When he tried to throw his ciggie out the window he hit the window edge and it bounced back and set fire to his crotch. He crashed into 4 cars whilst trying to save his gentlemen's vegetables from being singed.

yep, had a little accident when smoking on a motorway, checked the fag out of the window, it re entered the car as the rear window was open.

noticed a plastic buring smell from the parcel shelf, pulled over and extinuighed the flame.

realised the possible dangers after that. i do smoke in the car Ocassionally, but am careful to put my hand right out of the car to throw it out and try to do it when there are no cars behind me, though saying that i think i've only smoked in my car twice in the past month.

a ban wouldn't bother me, if it saves a few kids lungs then why not

As a life long non-smoker I say lets ban smoking full stop. And whilst we're at it how about banning the following: magic trees, anything with garlic in it, tomato sauce, pets, brown bananas, skips (snacks), skips (waste dumps), fish, teenagers, that 'countryside' smell, my younger brother and anything else that stinks.