What will the French think of next?

bryanb

Read in Daily Telegraph yesterday, every car on French roads from March 2012 must carry, Wait for it, a breathalyser! This is not a joke, it's not 1st April. I guess the cross channel ferry companies will have a field day with this one.

Thats nothing, they have passed a law that states as of 2013 every motorcycle rider on a bike over 125cc must wear a minimum of 150 cm2 of reflective clothing, plus a minimum of four reflective stickers on the helmet.

However, the bikes invloved in most accidents are below 125cc and they are exempt from the rule!

The point of this is that most car drivers involved in collisions with bikes state they did not see the bike or rider.... why a reflective bit of clothing will make a difference is anyones guess, because as a rider myself it seems every car driver is totally blind whatever you do.

Thats nothing, they have passed a law that states as of 2013 every motorcycle rider on a bike over 125cc must wear a minimum of 150 cm2 of reflective clothing, plus a minimum of four reflective stickers on the helmet.

However, the bikes invloved in most accidents are below 125cc and they are exempt from the rule!

The point of this is that most car drivers involved in collisions with bikes state they did not see the bike or rider.... why a reflective bit of clothing will make a difference is anyones guess, because as a rider myself it seems every car driver is totally blind whatever you do.

They'll stop having to supply the kit to plod, that's why. And as for the bke comment, I've lost count of the amount of times the biker has put themselves in danger and obviously blamed the car driver as it's their fault and not the biker's one.

I drive a bright yellow octy and still most car and truck drivers can't see me.

yes am also a biker, and most of the time they overtake in small gaps is they have the power to do it safely.

and the biggest issue is car drivers that get complacent and simply don't look!

Another reason to not bother doing dover-callais to get to germany then!

Phil

It's a shame as dover dunkirque was one of my favourites, but if they're going to be this silly, then I'll start going into other parts of europe.

Certainly going to avoid France if this comes through.

FWIW, the hire companies should be going mad about this...

We have found that often it is better (or very similar) financially to either go from Hull to Rotterdam or as we are in May go from Harwich to Hook of Holland.

We get to miss france out all together then ;)

Not sure why you have to carry a breathalyser unless it is to test the driver of a car you are in an accident with. Let's face it anyone selfish enough to be driving under the influence is not going to test themselves first. If you don't know when you have been affected by the amount you have drunk then you should be choosing not to drive after any amount of alcohol.

I know there have also been breath test immobiliser systems tested (the car doesn't start until you pass the test) and this would make more sense if you are going down that route or feel it is a serious benefit to road safety, just as seat belts and airbags have proved to be.

Edited by hertsnminds

Most French drivers don't bother with insurance ,tax or testing there vehicles absolutely shocking, French police are a law onto themselves, I love the country but !

Interesting comment! Shame there is little factual truth in it!!! Most French drivers do insure and test their their cars and certificates are displayed on the windscreen clearly for the police to check and they do everytime you are stopped. There has been no road tax in France for over ten years so no they dont pay road tax! As for carrying a breatherliser kit its costs about 2 euros from any chemist no big deal. If you check for uninsured drivers on the roads I think you will find the UK well in the lead in that department! If you drive in the north west of France near the channel ports be carefull as the British have a bad reputation for taking the p-ss regarding speeding and drink driving. The Gendarmerie are well aware. Be warned.

I'm a bit confused Pud , Why carry a breatherliser kit? Is it to test yourself before you drive? and what happens when you use the breatherliser, you won't have one in the car then whilst you are driving.

The law comes in on the 1st March, everyone must carry one. The RAC / AA reccommend buying disposable ones as they are dirt cheap, and carrying 2 or 3 in the car.

French motoring law is more draconian than here in the UK, they have a points system for driving licenses and just speeding twice by a few KMH is enough to have your french license removed for 6 months. The autoroutes are patroled by the Gendarmarie and they are everywhere, especially on the main tourist routes.

Lets not forget the other french laws that some brits ignore, Compulsory warning triangle, Compulsory high vis jackets for when outside your car on the motorway, no GPS or Radar speed camera devices and more. The no GPS based speed camera location law is very recent. Tomtom and other data providers are removing the camera info for France from their devices.