What will the French think of next?

bryanb

5hite. I'm going to France for 2 weeks in July. It's already a PITA trying to remember the vests, spare bulbs, GB sticker and insurance documents, never mind a breathalyser.

Why do you have to carry bulbs anyway? Has anyone seen how you have to change a bulb on a Renault Megane?

"Pardon Monsieur, I just have to remove the whole bumper assembly first so I may be some time." It's like insurance prices - stupid, just stupid :o

Don't forget- Beam converters, V5, driving licence, first Aid kit required in some EU countries, not sure about France though. Better take a trailer while your at it as not much space for luggage after all that.

5hite. I'm going to France for 2 weeks in July. It's already a PITA trying to remember the vests, spare bulbs, GB sticker and insurance documents, never mind a breathalyser.

Why do you have to carry bulbs anyway? Has anyone seen how you have to change a bulb on a Renault Megane?

"Pardon Monsieur, I just have to remove the whole bumper assembly first so I may be some time." It's like insurance prices - stupid, just stupid :o

Yes, they should do something about that.

If an EU member state requires you carry a spare bulb to change it on the road side, then any car where you can't change the bulbs easily on the side of the road in the dark (with minimal light) should be banned.

The French have far more rest areas on their route nationale's than we will ever have, so changing a bulb safely shouldn't be a problem, if it's feasible in the first place. I'm not taking a bumper off for anybody !

Compulsory high vis jackets for when outside your car on the motorway,

Just remember there is a slight caveat on these high viz jackets: they have to be IN the car and each passenger should have their jacket on BEFORE they get out of the car. So having one for the driver next to the spare oil in the boot won't do. Five people on board means five high viz jackets inside the car.

Hi viz in cars in the UK ,might not be a good idea, especialy on motorways. Few years ago ,we had a puncture on M6.We got out ,and I passed a High Viz fleece to the other half. The weather was mild, but she appreciated the warmth. A bit later a traffic car appeared , with the officer smiling. He'd spotted us a half mile away, and seemed pleased ( and amused) to see folks at our age taking safety precautions. I explained it was as a result of my safety training, and he left happy .

Just remember there is a slight caveat on these high viz jackets: they have to be IN the car and each passenger should have their jacket on BEFORE they get out of the car. So having one for the driver next to the spare oil in the boot won't do. Five people on board means five high viz jackets inside the car.

I believe it's OK to have just one jacket in the car, so that the person wearing it can get the rest of them out of the boot for the other people.

Hi viz in cars in the UK ,might not be a good idea, especialy on motorways. Few years ago ,we had a puncture on M6.We got out ,and I passed a High Viz fleece to the other half. The weather was mild, but she appreciated the warmth. A bit later a traffic car appeared , with the officer smiling. He'd spotted us a half mile away, and seemed pleased ( and amused) to see folks at our age taking safety precautions. I explained it was as a result of my safety training, and he left happy .

Typo? Or am I missing the point?

I believe it's OK to have just one jacket in the car, so that the person wearing it can get the rest of them out of the boot for the other people.

EXCEPT that UK directions are that folks get out on the passenger side ,and then the driver exits on the side furtherst from traffic. Deffo ,NO opening of doors on the side nearest to lane one.

Typo? Or am I missing the point?

TYPO- please explane .

Point is that that you need to be seen .That means getting Hi Viz on in dangerous places . We were seen a long way back by a police car . He thought we were in no danger ,possibily I had taken prcautions for our safety.

I suspect you're missing my point ,that we need folks in the UK to cary some form of Hi Viz in case of problems on a motorway .

TYPO- please explane .

Point is that that you need to be seen .That means getting Hi Viz on in dangerous places . We were seen a long way back by a police car . He thought we were in no danger ,possibily I had taken prcautions for our safety.

I suspect you're missing my point ,that we need folks in the UK to cary some form of Hi Viz in case of problems on a motorway .

You originally said:

Hi viz in cars in the UK ,might not be a good idea, especialy on motorways.

I also could not understand your point in saying they are a bad idea and then going on about the police saying it was good. :giggle:

• Like 1

The fine is less than £10 for not having one...I think I'd take the risk. I've been to France loads of times and only once been stopped by the gendarmes.

Its true:-

http://www.telegraph...-in-France.html

Vorwards the packets of activated charcoal.

You can add fire extinguisher, snow chains and tyres (Time of year/resort) to that list :-

http://www.motoring-.../cc-france.html

I think someone's got the decimal point in the numerator and the unit of the denominator for the drinking limit wrong there. Iits supposed to be lower than ours 50 milligram per 100 millilitre.

And similarly the entries in the AA table below for First Aid kit and Fire extinguishers is wrong:-

http://www.theaa.com...y_equipment.pdf

Also remembering that radar detectors are illegal

Don't see anything about mobile phones use, or need to carry high beam flash light, spare fuel can or re-inflation/tyre sealer kit for punctures ? Just more random Europaness.

Suppose its a diabolical plot by the French to get everybody using the TGV.

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

They'll be insisting on you wearing HV jackets to go to the bog next, and will have the 'bog police' outside to check you've washed your hands too no doubt . :wall:

If my experience last year was anything to go by, I think you can rest easy about the prospect successful conviction on that issue.Talk about "The crabs in this bog jump ten foot high . .". After using the "Public facilities" at several locations last year, I'd say you'll be more likely suing the French authorities for something you caught going into one than being reprimanded/fined/convicted for failing to obey the "Now wash your hands" dictum - the best of 1970s socially engineered building intention let done by poor aftercare. Harsh, but true.

Nick

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

Dare I say it, . . . yes I will, some of the driving practice over there even when sober is a bit iffy !

Don't get me wrong. Its much improved on what it was in the 1970s and you can see that a lot of French drivers are really mindful of others. But, I've experienced odd instances in the last 5 years of holidaying there which draw into question driving practice generally and not just when worse for wear.

Example 1: A Council/builders lorry, driven by some youngsters, which on a free and fast flowing, open aspect country main road, in clear blue sky weather, drove right-up my chuff (And I mean up my chuff -like a couple of feet away) and kept that position for several kilometers. When I accelerated away, he reciprocated and then resumed position up my exhaust pipe. When I waved him by he stuck there (all that was lacking was the Spielberg incidental music) So eventually, I found a layby and pulled-in and he sailed by.

Example2:Going through Roche-sur-yon in the South and Morlaix in the North I was badly cut up on two occasions by lane changing b*stards - OK it was a week day rush-hour on both occasions and conicidentally (Or not) the cars were of the BMW persusaion. I was amazed after each event that I still had paint on the car !.

Example 3: trying to find the eastbound Le Havre road exit whilst on the Caen peripherique. If you know it, there's a one kilometre sectionof the Caen Peripherique where there are, I recall exits to five different adjoining roads and where, to accomodate the various exits, the peripherique widens from the standard two lanes to about six abreast. In heavy fast moving traffic (Nno body slows down) you are cut up from all 360 degrees - no quarter given. Abismal road design, poor signage and kamikaze driving standards make this spot an absolute nightmare.

I suppose the same could happen over here. But of course, what sticks in your mind is, that you would hope that indigenous driving population would make allowance for foreign visitors - but they don't.

Ok, there's probably french types telling less than flattering driving tales about driving on British roads.

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

I came to the conclusion on the Caen peripherique last week that the only way was to "go for it", and it seemed to work, even at home time of 4.30. I actually didn't find it much worse than the North Circular in the rush hour.

Agreed on the tailgating, but it just seems to be the "Frenchway"

tailgating in france....pah!

french drivers are saints....compared to the italians....now they know how to tailgate!!!