Monopods - which one?

Hello!

I don't have a forum specifically for photography atm as I've just got into it. Im long term borrowing some kit from my brother before I invest on one myself. Hes got a tripod and a gorilla pod currently but I don't find these too useful or rather I find them a little cumbersome to carry around and set it up. So I suppose the next best solution is a monopod. Looked at a few reviews etc. Theres alot to choose from! so many brands and so many sizes! Unfortunately alot reviews are talking about the £100+ models..

What about unbranded ones? Are they ok?

What about ball heads? I assume most wont come with that so any recommended ball heads?

I'll only be wielding a entry/mid range dslr (D60/D5100).

(Bare in mind my perception of a monopod at the moment is a glorified extendible stick with a screw top.. a Carbon fibre ones cost £40+! :think: )

+1 for 7 day shop, I recently got a tripod from them for £14.99 and saw the exact same thing in Jessops a week or so later for £59.

The model that has served me well for a number of years is a Vanguard MP-15 (http://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-MP-15-Lightweight-Monopod/dp/B00006JQLD).

The foot pad is really useful as I can ensure minimal movement no matter what the terrain. The click stop system for the leg works effectively and I feel is better than the friction type stop. The unit feels it 3lbs weight but that solid feel helps in stabilising the camera. You need to be aware of how high the unit is when fully extended, you don't want to be bending down!

The one I got from 7dayshop is steady as a rock, although they've changed the one that I have now so that it's got footstand on it as well, I only use it very occasionally though, but when I do it's still useful.

I keep it in the car & with the knob you can buy extra, it makes a good walking stick too.