Servicing icon a bit premature!

Yesterday morning I got the service message flash up. Ordinarily it wouldnt be a problem, but i only picked the car up in Feburary and was serviced! Its just passed 14k miles. I'll be ringing the garage tommorow to complain! But what controls its appearance? Is it set on a mileage or time basis? or is it intelligent?

maybe they did not reset the service indicator. It's known that it does not come up a 10k miles when the service should be done.

Mine had 11k on the clock and the service light still hadnt appeared :confused:
Given that service intervals are 10,000 miles/1 year, where is the logic in ignoring the mileometer/odometer reading as it passes 10,000 miles and waiting for the service indicator to appear? :confused:

Yesterday morning I got the service message flash up. Ordinarily it wouldnt be a problem, but i only picked the car up in Feburary and was serviced! Its just passed 14k miles. I'll be ringing the garage tommorow to complain! But what controls its appearance? Is it set on a mileage or time basis? or is it intelligent?
Out of interest does it say "OIL" or "INSP"?

The manual suggests by the way it's worded - "...once the due date for a service is reached..." - that it's purely time that governs when the indicator appears.

If the car was originally registered in April 2004 then it's quite likely that the service it had done prior to you buying the car was only an Oil Change one required at 10,000 miles, and hence the car is now due for the 12 month Inspection Service. This might be confirmed if it now says "INSP".

Check the Service Record to see whther it records what service was done prior to you getting it, but I suspect it might have only been an Oil Change one and you're going to have to have an Inspection Service now, if my reasoning is correct - otherwise you'll risk losing the protection of the warranty. :(

Given that service intervals are 10,000 miles/1 year, where is the logic in ignoring the mileometer/odometer reading as it passes 10,000 miles and waiting for the service indicator to appear? :confused:

I hadnt been paid so I was waiting till the end of the month otherwise I would have had to be a tea boy for a month because I couldnt pay, and yes I did 1000 miles in 2 weeks, the time it took DMC Keith Skoda to get their finger out of their @rse and get my car in...

I tend to think it's cheaper to get them both done at the same time if it's that close. An early oil change doesn't do any damage

But in this case I postulate (subject to more facts being available) either the seller got just an Oil Change done because he knew he was going to sell the car before the year was up and wanted to minimise costs or (B) the garage was being really mean only doing the minimum necessary to maintain the service history

David do you read the manual before bedtime :rofl: :P

Funny you should say that! Not before bedtime - just from cover to cover when I bought the car...

I'm sure if it isn't due either an oil change or an inspection service, that you can reset the service indicator by hand. I think you hold in the trip meter button for a while or something. Although it could just be that's for variable servicing...

Good to hear' date=' I know many people dont bother and then ask stupid questions :rolleyes:

:)[/quote']

I know many people that do and STILL ask dumb questions, but you should still get out more David:rofl:

But what about Variable servicing.

You could have the option of that ' date=' then the car tells you when it is ready.

20K or 2 years.

You should find out if it is on this service.[/quote']

A Furby vRS should be on fixed. But good point :thumbup:

But what about Variable servicing.

You could have the option of that ' date=' then the car tells you when it is ready.

20K or 2 years.

You should find out if it is on this service.[/quote']See this FAQ.

It does flash up INSP so i guess its done on a time period which for me is useless as i do more than the 10k miles in a year. They did the 10k 'service' which i think is just an oil change before picking it up. The fact the two messages can come up at different times is a bit strange. Shouldnt the servicing be based on mileage? As far as i can tell the main service is every 20k and an oil change in between. So the symbol at the mo should be for the service they just done then?

It does flash up INSP so i guess its done on a time period which for me is useless as i do more than the 10k miles in a year. They did the 10k 'service' which i think is just an oil change before picking it up. The fact the two messages can come up at different times is a bit strange. Shouldnt the servicing be based on mileage? As far as i can tell the main service is every 20k and an oil change in between. So the symbol at the mo should be for the service they just done then?

Although it's completely unlike any other servicing regime I've encountered before, the Skoda servicing seems in essence to be an inspection (20k) service every year, with an oil change every 10k if necessary. It's not exactly like that, but you get the picture. I'm quite lucky in that I do 20k per year anyway or thereabouts, so I don't feel too put out. I can imagine that if you only did, say 5-6k per year, you might be a bit miffed having to shell out

No - I'm afraid you've fallen for the "can't understand the Fabia Servicing Regime" trap here.

You have to have an Inspection service every 12 months or 10,000 miles - but the first one doesn't have to be done until 12 months (which incidently is the root of the entire problem). This also includes an Oil Change.

However the first Inspection Service won't be done at 10,000 miles unless the owner asks for it. The car would have an Oil Change instead.

It seems like this is what has happened to your car and thus you are now due an Inspection Service within, presumably, a week or two.

If you don't have this done you risk having an incomplete service record (for those who understand Skoda's system) and a potentially voided warranty.

The only way out of this dilemma is to prove that the service the car has already had was an early Inspection Service not just an Oil Change. What does the service book show?

For a full analysis of this Fabia Servicing Fiasco refer to one of two postings I've made previously to which I've had no satisfactiory responses:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/showpost.php?p=313825&postcount=14

Although it's completely unlike any other servicing regime I've encountered before, the Skoda servicing seems in essence to be an inspection (20k) service every year, with an oil change every 10k if necessary. It's not exactly like that, but you get the picture. I'm quite lucky in that I do 20k per year anyway or thereabouts, so I don't feel too put out. I can imagine that if you only did, say 5-6k per year, you might be a bit miffed having to shell out

So let me get this straight, my car has done 10k and had it's first oil change, but time the car is 1 year old it will have 17k approx on, does this mean I then need another service and again a service at 20k miles, seems like a waste of money for no gain.

So let me get this straight, my car has done 10k and had it's first oil change, but time the car is 1 year old it will have 17k approx on, does this mean I then need another service and again a service at 20k miles, seems like a waste of money for no gain.

Yes - at 12 months you'll have to have an Inspection Service if you're not going to risk voiding the service history and the warrnty (more than already in your case... :) ) - but then you'll need another Inspection Service at 27,000 miles - and 37,000 miles, etc etc.

I've outlined this very scenario though working to a 15,000 mile first Inspection Service in the other thread I've linked to above.

The problem then arises as to when do you get the things done that are needed at 20,000 miles, 30,000 miles etc.

The whole thing would have made MUCH more sense if Skoda had just said "Servicing every 10,000 miles" - but they haven't.

You have a service at 10,000 miles or 1 year, what ever is first.

If your car gets to 10k it has a 10k service which is an oil and filter change.

If it gets to a year and has not done 10k then it has an annual which is a oil and filter and inspection.

If your car gets to 10K first it has to have the lube service, but you then dont have to have it serviced for another 10,000 miles or a year.

Right ive got the book here....

it says every 10k miles oil change, every year an annual inspection. OK understand.

But it then says; if a car is driven more than 20k miles a year, an inspection service is carried out every 20k miles and not once a year.

Now as i do about 30k miles a year clearly if its it going to be appearing every year its pretty useless.

Last service in the book states inspection service and oil change carried out at 10192 miles, on the 14 feb. So i wait till 20k comes up for the next service.

But with the example above, doing less than 20k miles a year does it not mean that you only get the inspection service once a year on date, but when the round mileage figures come up you have an oil change service. Is that right?

If you are doing 30k a year then you will have..

10k - lube service

20k - inspection

30k - lube service

There will be no annual inspections as you are doing more than 10k a year. Incidentally the 20k service is the same as an annual inspection with the exception on a 20k you change the pollen filter.