FUBAR

Cbts a nice steady educational day. No rush, no panic. I think youll enjoy it mate. Its the start of a lot of learning IMO.

I basically did a mock part 1 of the bike test when i did mine (i could already ride a bike, so we had time to waste i guess) in the morning, then out around town in the afternoon.

Youll probably find the town bit easy having driven cars. It was the first time on anything bigger than a push bike for me, so quite an eye opener. 125's arent actually that slow in comparison to cars either, youll be surprised (;

• Like 1

Cbts a nice steady educational day. No rush, no panic. I think youll enjoy it mate. Its the start of a lot of learning IMO.

I basically did a mock part 1 of the bike test when i did mine (i could already ride a bike, so we had time to waste i guess) in the morning, then out around town in the afternoon.

Youll probably find the town bit easy having driven cars. It was the first time on anything bigger than a push bike for me, so quite an eye opener. 125's arent actually that slow in comparison to cars either, youll be surprised (;

Those who are familiar with a bike and the controls will ace a CBT unless you are too cocky and annoy the instructor; however-a little story of our experience with a TOTAL novice rider;

I arranged a CBT for my wife who fancied a moped or scooter to nip to work a mile away.  I taught her to drive (plus a few pro lessons) with English as her second language and she got 35/35 on theory, passed first time with 3 minors and is very competent on the road, drives all manner of vehicles (Twizy EV to minibuses and Lambo-powered RS6s) and has never had a bump.

She turned up to find a bloke doing the training and two other experienced riders sharing the course with her.  She reeled at the stink of the helmets and gloves they lent her, started to have a go as the first time she had actually sat on a motorbike, let alone even understood where the controls were and was very shaky and unsure as it was all new to her.

She was on the way back home an hour after the course started as the other guys wanted to get on with it and they had all gone straight out on the road.  She had followed terrified and at the first uphill junction stalled a few times then fluffed it and fell off, hurting her knee.

She came in, had a shower and told me what happened.

It put her off for life.  Who knows, it may be fate and it may have saved her life in the long run.... :angel:

• Like 1

Those who are familiar with a bike and the controls will ace a CBT unless you are too cocky and annoy the instructor; however-a little story of our experience with a TOTAL novice rider;

I arranged a CBT for my wife who fancied a moped or scooter to nip to work a mile away. I taught her to drive (plus a few pro lessons) with English as her second language and she got 35/35 on theory, passed first time with 3 minors and is very competent on the road, drives all manner of vehicles (Twizy EV to minibuses and Lambo-powered RS6s) and has never had a bump.

She turned up to find a bloke doing the training and two other experienced riders sharing the course with her. She reeled at the stink of the helmets and gloves they lent her, started to have a go as the first time she had actually sat on a motorbike, let alone even understood where the controls were and was very shaky and unsure as it was all new to her.

She was on the way back home an hour after the course started as the other guys wanted to get on with it and they had all gone straight out on the road. She had followed terrified and at the first uphill junction stalled a few times then fluffed it and fell off, hurting her knee.

She came in, had a shower and told me what happened.

It put her off for life. Who knows, it may be fate and it may have saved her life in the long run.... :angel:

Ahh man. Thats a bad riding school though surely? They should of never let that happen?

I turned up, having ridden gas gas's since i was 10, and the guy who owns the centre knows my dads very well (actually taught my mum to drive a car 15 years ago too). Hes an ex police motorcycle trainer (not sure on the exact title, but he taught the police how to ride).

He stressed to me that he always had to see how people ride within his grounds before he started even thinking about taking them out, and would never teach more than 2 students at a time.

Such a laid back bloke which made it do much easier. I always felt completely at ease n even if i made a complete mess of something on the road, its no problem. So calm about it, i knew what Id done n he just explained further later on.

It was his son that actually took me for my mod 2 test n hes much the same. Although i did secretly find that one had told me one way, n one was telling me to do it another. So who dya listen to? Haha.

Never the less, i passed. 1 minor. Apparently i was too far from a curb when he asked me to pull up. Guessing i was 18 inches from the curb n the examiner kindly told me to do it again 'but is that how far youd normally stop from the curb?' I took the hint. N that was that.

• Like 1

I arranged a CBT for my wife .... 

Almost the same your story really, mine was pushed through it too quickly which resulted in her falling off the bike and hurting her knee

as well. She already had her own kit at least so her armoured textile trousers saved her knee, she wore her own lid and gloves etc.

She went back the next weekend (after some persuasion) and passed on the second attempt albeit on a twist and go.

I shall be teaching her how to ride a geared bike this summer, wish me luck... 

• Like 1

ARGH, all the exhaust I've been looking at are on offer. I still cant bloody decide though! fml who'd think picking a exhaust would be so bloody hard.

Get one bought mate

Is the CB particularly quiet as standard?

My vfr was whisper quiet. I like a nice sound!

I've also just found a post from someone on the CB forum who has fitted OEM VFR1200 heated grips to his CB! Solving my biggest issue with heated grips, the ugly box that comes with them. The OEM ones have a little button just on the inside of the grip on the left side, nice and subtle, you'd not know it's there unless you were looking for it. No doubt they're not cheap but maybe I'll see towards autumn. 

I've also just found a post from someone on the CB forum who has fitted OEM VFR1200 heated grips to his CB! Solving my biggest issue with heated grips, the ugly box that comes with them. The OEM ones have a little button just on the inside of the grip on the left side, nice and subtle, you'd not know it's there unless you were looking for it. No doubt they're not cheap but maybe I'll see towards autumn.

Interestin!

Thatd be good!

I've got the oxford ones with the little box infront of the clutch fluid reservoir. Cant say it annoys me too much but it isnt exactly good lookin.

Oem ones would be better, otherwise i dont think id bother with them again tbh

Heated gloves would be better

Having just joined the forum this week I thought I should pop in here to say Hi.

Been riding bikes on and off for more years than I care to remember.  Passed my test in 1969 on a Lambretta LI150.  It was easy then you only had to ride around the block a couple of times while the examiner moved about the street corners to watch what you did.  As long as you didn't run him over when he came out from behind a parked car for the emergency stop (as it was called then) then you were pretty certain to pass.

I now ride a Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer.  Should have been out on it today with the local RATS group (Riders Association of Triumph) on a bit of a bimble but alas my good lady wife has the flu and is unable to go out with me as she usually does.  So I shall make do with watching the WSB instead.  Cracking first race!

Last couple of bikes were VFR800 vtec and then Triumph Sprint GT.  I like the sports tourer bikes but was persuaded to have a go on a Tiger by many of the RATS so when the Sprint was in for a service Webbs of Lincoln loaned me a Tiger Explorer for the day and I instantly fell in love with it.  I find the sit up and beg riding poisiton easier than the semi sports seating position these days and the power of the bike is crazy and VERY addictive.  (Mind you using the full power of the VRS on kickdown for a couple of overtakes of lorries this week has been incredible as well.)  Anyway those crafty gits at Webbs knew I would be hooked and was so that was me on the Tiger.

In the past I have been a motorcycle rider instructor for CBT, Direct Access and Advanced.  That taught me more about riding and especially my own abilities than years of riding on my own.  Biking is a brilliant (not cheap) hobby and as long as you use your common sense and ride to protect yourself I would recommend it to anyone.

Regards Chris

• Like 2

Welcome to the best thread on the forum ;) haha.

Loving the triumph explorer then? I seem to see more n more of these about, defo eaten into the GS sales havent they!

I always loved the "adventure" bikes, especially the R1100GS, but feel they have become a fashion accessory now so they have lost most of their appeal to me...

Can someone please re-open MZ and start sales of 500 Rotax powered sturdy, under-stated and completely unfashionable bikes right-away?

I've been doing some works as part of my Paint Repair company at a big new MV-Augusta/Benelli dealer; minor paint repairs and custom panel colour changes, but even the pretty F3s do nothing for me.  

I always loved the "adventure" bikes, especially the R1100GS, but feel they have become a fashion accessory now so they have lost most of their appeal to me...

Can someone please re-open MZ and start sales of 500 Rotax powered sturdy, under-stated and completely unfashionable bikes right-away?

I've been doing some works as part of my Paint Repair company at a big new MV-Augusta/Benelli dealer; minor paint repairs and custom panel colour changes, but even the pretty F3s do nothing for me.

I know what you mean mate yeah. They do look bloody good for long trips though. Comfy. Dad loves his r1200gs adventure.

I like the mv's! Would love one one day tbh.

Aprillia tuono is still doin it for me tbh, but then after a ride on the VFR the other day, i came back thinking why bother? Its comfy, handles well, good for trips and i chuck it round the bends at a fair pace too, n more than fast enough for the road isnt it really, i certainly never find it lacking.

But who knows. I change my mind a lot haha

• Like 1

Havent posted here in aaaages, last time i stated i was doing my test in September... well I passed that and bought a Bandit 600, (yes.. the faired one.. i was on a budget ;)

does the job but needs a new rear tire as this one is almost completley squared off which makes handling a little "interesting" at times :)

Havent posted here in aaaages, last time i stated i was doing my test in September... well I passed that and bought a Bandit 600, (yes.. the faired one.. i was on a budget ;)

does the job but needs a new rear tire as this one is almost completley squared off which makes handling a little "interesting" at times :)

Absolutely nothing wrong with a faired Bandit, it's a really good bike and popular because it is good and good value too.

Sort that tyre though!

• Like 1

Did think about the Bandit as am a big Suzuki fan but went for the SV650S.  Similar performance but much lighter which siuts me better with my dodgy knee.