FUBAR

As above, no point in beating yourself up over something that's happened. learn from it and use the experience in a positive way would be my way of dealing with it. The drivers in NI seem to be dodgy from the number of clips you post in the dashcam thread so have you considered some advanced training as a way of improving your chances. Being vunerable is part of the risk of being a biker I'm afraid, all you can do is try and limit the chances of it being you that gets knocked off because of someone else's actions.

IAM / ROSPA / Bike Safe and a BTEC, diploma I didn't bother with.

Driving here is totally different to the rest of the UK I just deleted a rather long rant about it to opt for eye saving line of, it's scary how different it is to the rest of the UK. But regionally it differs vastly here, locally to me it's particularly crap! 

Driving here is totally different to the rest of the UK I just deleted a rather long rant about it to opt for eye saving line of, it's scary how different it is to the rest of the UK. But regionally it differs vastly here, locally to me it's particularly crap!

Just seen your video. Firstly, I am glad you are ok. Secondly, thanks for posting. It is a stark reminder to all of us who ride bikes that there is no room for complacency and that a defensive riding technique is always necessary.

Some days my riding seems up to scratch. Other days, like today, I don't feel as if I was very good. It is a sort of mental castigation process, like the one you appear to be going through. It is a positive thing, not negative.

Safe riding!

• Like 1

Looks like you've done your bit then! You could of course get a Harley....as the bloke who nearly pulled out on you would have been home eating his tea by the time you got to the junction....

• Like 1

Only other comment I would have is that in my past experience not many people have done an emergency stop so that means that not many are aware of just how much brake force you can apply without locking the front wheel.  Yours locked and it could have been the road surface as you say you did not snatch at it.  Main thing that causes a lock up is that first application and after that if you have not locked up you can usually apply as much pressure as is physically possible without locking.  Of course many bikes are now fitted with ABS but the same applies really you should never need to do an emergency stop nor use the ABS if you read the road properly.

Main point of the above statement is the word 'NEED' because of course there is always the situation whether you have misread the road/circumstances or literally have no option.  Either way as others have said don't beat yourself up and don't keep going over and over it in your mind or keep replaying the footage.  Move on and rely on your instincts which have served you well on this occasion.

Oh and for the record we all make mistakes and for all the years Police Training and Instructor Training I have had I still had to use the ABS last year when I misread the situation completely.  My fault and I got away with it but it was a good wake up call.

Regards Chris

• Like 1

Comedy situation on return from ride-out yesterday....

New boots, Nitro NB-41s, worn in for a few short rides, but worn all day yesterday in the warm on a 150 mile yomp on the MZ.  Stopped at my mates for tea, could not get them off, even though they are a size up on my normal size and slip on easily enough.  Tried and tried, gave up, ate tea with them on thinking that I did not want to make a scene at my own expense and would have to ride in the cooler evening temps on the 30 mile ride home.

Got home, tried again and they would not budge an inch, not an inch, like they were superglued to my socks which were superglued to my feet.

In the end, my (very strong and fit) wife spent 20 mins on each foot with brute force with my foot between her legs pulling so hard she was dragging my 20+ stone around the house.

40 minutes to get boots off.  Why??

• Like 2

Just seen your video. Firstly, I am glad you are ok. Secondly, thanks for posting. It is a stark reminder to all of us who ride bikes that there is no room for complacency and that a defensive riding technique is always necessary.

Some days my riding seems up to scratch. Other days, like today, I don't feel as if I was very good. It is a sort of mental castigation process, like the one you appear to be going through. It is a positive thing, not negative.

Safe riding!

I was out 2 days before it and think I posted up that it was a crap ride, if your mind isn't on it for whatever reason the entire thing seems to fall apart. On my first day after my test from 7bhp to 100bhp, I did a classic one where I went to accelerate from a stop and in second gear slid back on the seat, then to hold on as a normal reaction caused the throttle to basically be opened fully and not really improve the situation as I became a passenger for a few seconds. Happened in front of people too so embarrassing!   

• Like 1

Comedy situation on return from ride-out yesterday....

New boots, Nitro NB-41s, worn in for a few short rides, but worn all day yesterday in the warm on a 150 mile yomp on the MZ.  Stopped at my mates for tea, could not get them off, even though they are a size up on my normal size and slip on easily enough.  Tried and tried, gave up, ate tea with them on thinking that I did not want to make a scene at my own expense and would have to ride in the cooler evening temps on the 30 mile ride home.

Got home, tried again and they would not budge an inch, not an inch, like they were superglued to my socks which were superglued to my feet.

In the end, my (very strong and fit) wife spent 20 mins on each foot with brute force with my foot between her legs pulling so hard she was dragging my 20+ stone around the house.

40 minutes to get boots off.  Why??

When I broke my leg and had bones poking out all over the shop with the awesome paramedic (whom was also a biker  :thumbup:), but not qualified to administer morphine, I joked with that his JML style super scissors which had made light work of my waterproofs then leathers, wouldn't stand a chance on my boots, he disagreed and said  they are amazing and can cut through anything. Didn't work so they had to pull it off :o :( my leg was detached with just skin and a couple of strands of muscle holding it on, was the most painful thing I have ever felt and took them a few tries. Was like frigging stretch Armstrong :sweat: :peek:   

Loved those boots! 

berik%2520gore%2520tex%2520sport%2520boo

and this was the good leg one ironically 

berik%2520gore%2520tex%2520sport%2520boo

• Like 1

Looks like you've done your bit then! You could of course get a Harley....as the bloke who nearly pulled out on you would have been home eating his tea by the time you got to the junction....

Ironically an hour or so ago whilst burning a ton of unwanted mail with my personal details on it, I had a pile of crap from ROSPA I stopped paying them my membership subs some time ago now, but they keep sending me crap like this now instead :( I am due and paid up for a retest though :D 

20150409_190323.jpg

• Like 1

I've been preparing for my trip next week. 

Kriega US20 ordered (thanks Dad :D) and on its way. I've bought waterproof over trousers and jacket, then today I went to the shop and bought a new pair of Richa waterproof boots and a new jacket, this one actually fits me nicely. Bike is booked in for MOT tomorrow afternoon, stock plate fitted ready, shouldnt fail on anything. 

I still need to sort a tank bag, write route guides and decide what to take. 

Kriega US20 ordered (thanks Dad :D) and on its way. I've bought waterproof over trousers and jacket, then today I went to the shop and bought a new pair of Richa waterproof boots and a new jacket, this one actually fits me nicely. Bike is booked in for MOT tomorrow afternoon, stock plate fitted ready, shouldnt fail on anything. 

I have a tank bag and a tail pack you can have, both are red though, I'll dig them out of the loft and take some pictures if you're interested.

You did what you could there mate. The road surface stopping you from flowing from line to line so well. There wasnt much more you could do IMO. Give yourself a pat on the back for dealing with the skid (:

Had abit of a moment myself last night.

In a 50mph limit following a golf doing the speed limit. Bit weary in my mirrors because i had a feeling the clio behind full of lads (which id previously overtaken) was playing catch up.

Then out of nowhere the golf just did an emergency stop. Appeared to be absolutly no reason for it.

Lucky i leave plenty of room all the time, but still had a moment when i glanced at my mirrors, looked forward again and noticed how suddenly he was stopping.

I managed to stop. And somehow so did the fast approaching clio behind. Luckily. But there wasnt much in it for any of us.

It then appeared there was a very small rabbit in the road, thats why the golf stood on the brakes. REEAALLYYY.

Then when i opened up to get past going back up to the speed limit, he kept flashing me and giving me the fingers, like Id done something wrong overtaking, clearly only because i didnt wanna be near him anymore.

I mean, really. Save a rabbit, nearly end up with a biker through your back window.

I nearly stopped for a word after he'd put his fingers up at me, but thought better of it

• Like 1

Aldi have them in at the moment and there decent enough, they are a very cheap price :thumbup:

FUBAR,

Take a massive pat on the back for doing everything right. You and nobody are perfect and to me your road positioning and forward observation before the junction had a huge positive affect on the outcome.

If your forward observation was poor and you didn't see and react to the dangers that were approaching and then re-position yourself in the best way for that junction the outcome would have been very different.

I think a lot of riders in the same situation would have reacted to the pedestrian in the road and the oncoming traffic too late to then pull back towards the centre line for the approaching junction. This would then mean they are on the lefthand side of the road approaching a very limited visibility junction in a car travelling to fast. If you had been further over to the left and wasn't aware of the junction I don't think the car would have stopped with enough room to avoid a collision.

Take solace in the fact your riding standard keeps you as safe as possible.

Ride safe boys and girls

• Like 1

Matt, I've got one going begging.

I'm a bit closer to you than Derby.

It's also red 2 tier.

PM if interested chap.

I have a tank bag and a tail pack you can have, both are red though, I'll dig them out of the loft and take some pictures if you're interested.

Thank you for the kind offer, I'm going to PM CFB as he's not too far from me, I appreciate the offer though.  :thumbup:

Aldi have them in at the moment and there decent enough, they are a very cheap price :thumbup:

I think I'm a little too late, they didnt have any in my local one, thanks for the heads up though, I'll keep my eyes peeled they have some decent stuff at times. 

Matt, I've got one going begging.

I'm a bit closer to you than Derby.

It's also red 2 tier.

PM if interested chap.

PM incoming! 

BTW where is Garrrrrrrry?

Ah yes...... good news is he is alive and well, bad news is he wont be back any time soon by the sounds of it.  :no:

I'll not post the full message on here as I'll prob get some more warning points but basically he's fed up of being 'gagged' by the mods and if he posts anything that offends anyone faces a ban so has decided to not bother at all. I dont know the background but he's had enough sadly, it's a shame as he's one of the nicest members I've come into contact with on here, I never read anything offensive or out of order from him on here, thankfully I can still chat to him over on BCF (same user name if anyone wants to find him). 

He also said;

"Please pass on my very best wishes to those on Briskoda who'd appreciate them. thumb_up.gif 

and a couple of these left_finger.gif icon_razz.gif right_finger.gif for the rest."

Then something about a old man hating maid past her sell by date and a attention seeking rapid owner   :peek:

I'll keep him informed of a brisky bike meet if we ever get one organised as I know he was up for that! 

• Like 2

Ah yes...... good news is he is alive and well, bad news is he wont be back any time soon by the sounds of it.  :no:

I'll not post the full message on here as I'll prob get some more warning points but basically he's fed up of being 'gagged' by the mods and if he posts anything that offends anyone faces a ban so has decided to not bother at all. I dont know the background but he's had enough sadly, it's a shame as he's one of the nicest members I've come into contact with on here, I never read anything offensive or out of order from him on here, thankfully I can still chat to him over on BCF (same user name if anyone wants to find him). 

He also said;

"Please pass on my very best wishes to those on Briskoda who'd appreciate them. thumb_up.gif 

and a couple of these left_finger.gif icon_razz.gif right_finger.gif for the rest."

Then something about a old man hating maid past her sell by date and a attention seeking rapid owner   :peek:

I'll keep him informed of a brisky bike meet if we ever get one organised as I know he was up for that! 

Glad you were able to get in contact. He could come in just to post in here, this thread is fairly segregated from the rest of the forum anyway. 

Thank you for the kind offer, I'm going to PM CFB as he's not too far from me, I appreciate the offer though.  :thumbup:

No problem, enjoy your trip.

• Like 1

Ah yes...... good news is he is alive and well, bad news is he wont be back any time soon by the sounds of it. :no:

He also said;

"Please pass on my very best wishes to those on Briskoda who'd appreciate them. thumb_up.gif

and a couple of these left_finger.gif icon_razz.gif right_finger.gif for the rest."

Then something about a old man hating maid past her sell by date and a attention seeking rapid owner :peek:

I'm glad to hear he's ok as I feared he'd come off and hurt himself. Shame he feels like he does at the moment about the forum. Nil carborundum desperandi me thinks....

• Like 1

Glad you were able to get in contact. He could come in just to post in here, this thread is fairly segregated from the rest of the forum anyway.

Yup. Good idea.

Its all i do now really

Fed up of the rest of the forum to be brutally honest.

• Like 1

Stock exhaust in the boot of the Yeti, ready to go in the garage forever...

2015-04-11%2012.50.56.jpg

Key in hand...

2015-04-11%2013.40.42.jpg

And ready to go...

2015-04-11%2013.56.10.jpg

I miss power even more now :( Can you post a video of it so we can see and hear her all angry? :D