FUBAR

I agree.

The trouble with machines with low power is that they have enough to get you into trouble, but not enough to get you out of it.

Sorry boys, but I disagree with your sentiments. The skill we aim for is not to get into trouble in the first place.

Safe riding.

• Like 1

Sorry boys, but I disagree with your sentiments. The skill we aim for is not to get into trouble in the first place.

Safe riding.

Agree totally; needing power to get out of trouble is typically a symptom of failing to look ahead, anticipate risk and ride defensively.

Safe riding.

Agree totally; needing power to get out of trouble is typically a symptom of failing to look ahead, anticipate risk and ride defensively.

I agree with both of you totally.

Perhaps, in hindsight, I should have added that my comment was referring to new riders who typically ride low powered machines

Well they'll have to now the licence criteria has changed.

Safe riding.

Have to disagree.

You can be riding along at a steady pace and still get some goon put you in danger.

Braking is all well and good but slowing at such a pace can leave you vulnerable, powering out of a problem leaves you completely out of the way.

Obviously each circumstance is different, but its not unrealistic, I've had it a few times.

Wow-listed my MZ 500 on ebay, in 2 days got 622 views, 52 watchers, 3 interested parties and a full price sale-all for £20 inc. vat fees.

Say what you like about ebay, they have the buyers and get the interest more than anywhere else.....anything priced right will sell in a week.

• Like 1

I think we are all on the same wavelength with this. That is, the key element in safe riding is the rider and not the power of the machine. It may be correct in some circumstances to power out of situations in anticipation of problems just as it may be correct to slow or brake.

Safe riding everybody.

• Like 2

Wow-listed my MZ 500 on ebay, in 2 days got 622 views, 52 watchers, 3 interested parties and a full price sale-all for £20 inc. vat fees.

Say what you like about ebay, they have the buyers and get the interest more than anywhere else.....anything priced right will sell in a week.

I learns that some years ago when I was transferred to the Netherlands, Had the Mk1 Fabia vRS and a K1 GSXR1000. The fabia wasn't allowed to tow so one of them had to go in a short space of time. Put both up staggered and once car went in a few days I waited until the guy came and collected it and bought myself a clean 406 estate, put a tow bar on it and ordered a new collapsible bike trailer. Then boom bike sold too while the guy was actually collecting the car off me. Cancelled trailer and just went with the 406 and ordered a new Octy vRS hahaha  

• Like 1

Whilst I agree in principle with the comments above regarding planning, anticipating and all the like that is ok in a perfect World which this isn't. We should not ride into situations without a care in the World thinking it is ok I can blast my way out if it BUT there are situations where you have done all the planning and anticipating and something goes wrong when it is safer and quicker to accelerate rather than brake.

As an example when we were out test riding the Triumph Sprint GT before I bought one I came up behind a line of cars moving slower than the NSL and having checked the road in front was safe I pulled out to overtake the rearmost of the two cars as having followed him for some short distance when he had ample opportunity to overtake he just sat there. You guessed it as I was alongside him and no doubt in his blind spot he decided to pull out to overtake. I would have had to do a full on emergency stop to avoid him as by this time I am 3/4 of the way past him. So a bit more throttle and I am safely out of harms way.

Could I have anticipated him doing that? Yes of course I could and did. However does that mean you never overtake two vehicles in a row because one of them may pull out in front of you? No of course it does not. It just means that you keep an eye on what they are doing and are ready to react which I was. There are other instances where a bit of throttle is the safer option than a lot of brake and if you have not any throttle left then you do have a problem.

I don't think anyone on here is stating that you should just use power to get yourself out of a problem rather than using planning and anticipation (at least I hope not) but once again it isn't clearly black and white.

Exactly what i was getting at (:

Its nice to have plenty of excess power. Thats kinda what i like about the viffer. Can ride it all day long below 7k, still make all the progress i need to n not struggle for power, but vtec comes along at about 7k and really gives it a kick up the backside if you want it. Like a 2 stage power thing. Didnt think id like it in theory, but on the road it works well with my riding style, because i dont like to rev too much if i dont have to

• Like 1

When I was considering a VFR VTEC I had read about the bang when the second bank of valves kick in and how many people found it to be annoying/dangerous/exciting.  I asked at a dealer about it and he said that as it kicked in above 6000 revs not many people that spoke about it would have actually experienced it as not many people ride round using 6k of the engine. 

When I bought one I realised how true that was because at 6k you are flying in any gear.  In fact it kicked in again in top gear at the ton (don't ask me how I know) but in any gear once you were above that mark and using all the valves the thing was awesome.  OK not for a pure sports bike rider I suppose as many would leave it for dead but it was still a useful bike to ride as it could be docile as you would like and yet had the muscle should you need/desire.  Only problem I had was a lumpy throttle from off to on so if you were just in a tight turn off the throttle (turning into a tight junction for example) and then wanted to open it up gently there was this great big lump to get over before it would be smooth.  Very difficult in wet conditions and not nice to ride like that.  My local garage balanced the system from time to time but it never completely eradicated the problem.  I have heard quite a few bikes are like that with a difficult transition between on (trailing) throttle and back on.  Thankfully both the Triumph Sprint and the Tiger Explorer are beautifully smooth and linear on the throttle.

When I was considering a VFR VTEC I had read about the bang when the second bank of valves kick in and how many people found it to be annoying/dangerous/exciting. I asked at a dealer about it and he said that as it kicked in above 6000 revs not many people that spoke about it would have actually experienced it as not many people ride round using 6k of the engine.

When I bought one I realised how true that was because at 6k you are flying in any gear. In fact it kicked in again in top gear at the ton (don't ask me how I know) but in any gear once you were above that mark and using all the valves the thing was awesome. OK not for a pure sports bike rider I suppose as many would leave it for dead but it was still a useful bike to ride as it could be docile as you would like and yet had the muscle should you need/desire. Only problem I had was a lumpy throttle from off to on so if you were just in a tight turn off the throttle (turning into a tight junction for example) and then wanted to open it up gently there was this great big lump to get over before it would be smooth. Very difficult in wet conditions and not nice to ride like that. My local garage balanced the system from time to time but it never completely eradicated the problem. I have heard quite a few bikes are like that with a difficult transition between on (trailing) throttle and back on. Thankfully both the Triumph Sprint and the Tiger Explorer are beautifully smooth and linear on the throttle.

Yeah the vtec is quite abrupt on the earlier Vtecs, it was smoothed out in 2006, and even smoother on the 2014 model, but that is actually less powerful, despite Hondas claims.

I read about how unsmooth it is too before i bought mine and decided i wanted a 98-01 pre vtec. The cam driven one. I looked for ages n ages n couldnt find one id of been happy with, then i went for the vtec.

It depends on riding style i guess. People that hover around midrange on partial throttle probably wont like it, because you end up cycling between 8 and 16 valves. I ride below it usually though, and if i do want to get a shift on i obv rev it more, which is when the power increase is welcome anyway. So it works for me.

The surging on/off throttle is down to a few different things, each vtec is different as theyre all set up a little different, so some are better than others.

Mines one of the better ones from what I've read, it doesnt seem too bad. Just surges abit if i open up at low revs, close the throttle then try to introduce a little throttle again.

I had a similar thing happen to me as Chris years ago on my VFR except the car that pulled out on me was 2nd from the front in a line of 4. A twist of the throttle and I put distance between me and the driver who pulled out. He actually over corrected, spun 540 degrees and went backwards down a ditch. Without the power I could have been caught up in his ballerina moves. Used sensibly power is good IMO.

• Like 1

Just been for a spirited ride around the local country roads. Didnt use vtec once

Of course powers addictive, but im not actually bothered about having something a lot more powerful next time.

Cant think of what to have next. Few things have crossed my mind but then i ride the viffer n just enjoy it, does exactly what i want it too.

Sprint ST has crossed my mind, but im not sure on the looks, although im sure the engine is a peach.

Maybe I'll just end up with a newer vfr? Without an immobiliser this time though....

I was going to replace the VFR with a new(er) one but saw the Triumph Sprint GT and it came complete with panniers whereas the Honda you had to buy them.  I think the deal on the Sprint worked out about  four grand cheaper and it has a far bigger engine (1050 triple).  The engine was a belter and a lovely sound especially with the characteristic popping on the over run.  Only real issue I had with the Sprint was it's longer wheelbase which made it a bit tricky to turn especially in a tight space.

Now I have the Tiger Explorer it is a fantastic bike to ride and is really comfortable but it is a bit of a beast at slow speeds.  Our drive is gravel and turning it on there has worried me in case I lost my footing and dropped it.  So I bought a turntable for it and it is now a doddle as I just pop it on there and I can turn it with one hand.

I was going to replace the VFR with a new(er) one but saw the Triumph Sprint GT and it came complete with panniers whereas the Honda you had to buy them. I think the deal on the Sprint worked out about four grand cheaper and it has a far bigger engine (1050 triple). The engine was a belter and a lovely sound especially with the characteristic popping on the over run. Only real issue I had with the Sprint was it's longer wheelbase which made it a bit tricky to turn especially in a tight space.

Now I have the Tiger Explorer it is a fantastic bike to ride and is really comfortable but it is a bit of a beast at slow speeds. Our drive is gravel and turning it on there has worried me in case I lost my footing and dropped it. So I bought a turntable for it and it is now a doddle as I just pop it on there and I can turn it with one hand.

Hmm everything about the sprint sounds good, the engine is a little more powerful isnt it, just not sure about the looks. Maybe i should hsve a test ride and see. I do like a triple, I've ridden the 675 triple but not the 1050.

My vfr came with givi v35 panniers and a rack i can take off, so if i decide to get another vfr I'll keep hold of those when i sell this one.

Turn table sounds a fair thing! Haha

Only problem I had with looks of the Sprint was I always rode with the top box fitted because a) needed it for kit for work and B) my wife needed it for security/safety when pillion.  It looks absolute garbage (as it did on the VFR) and spoils the look of the bike but for me the bike is a tool first and toy last so needs must. 

I have used the panniers on all of the bikes but have to say I am not a fan because I have to rely on my wife to remind me I have them on for when I start filtering!  On the VFRwe stopped in Pickering for a cuppa and I was going to park on the wide footpath near the cafe.  Wife got off and I could not get up the kerb, thought that was strange as it didn't look that high, gave it a bit more gas and no difference so I looked behind and saw a bollard that would not move out of the way for the nearside pannier!  Lucky it wasn't damaged but a very good lesson learned.

I know exactly what you're sayin, i hate the look of top boxes so dont have one, although the pillion security is nice, i agree.

I can just see my panniers in my mirrors, which reminds me theyre there all the time, fingers crossed, i hsvent forgotten yet, but it is easy done i agree

I am a very pro panniers biker, but this was always my fear! (even though in video, he put his foot down randomly :o )

Facebook link for a video: https://www.facebook.com/1488084524808533/videos/1586107341672917/

That is a Harley though. Doubt youd get that problem with a normal bike? VFR ones are miles off the floor even when I'm giving it some

yJ6M.jpg

yJ6d.jpg

yJ6w.jpg

2002 Triumph Daytona 955i. Took two years to rebuild from ground up, mod list a full page long. Got it running this Friday and clocked 150km to the gauge. This bad boy`s got some serious grunt!

• Like 3