FUBAR

I am a very pro panniers biker, but this was always my fear! (even though in video, he put his foot down randomly :o )

Facebook link for a video: https://www.facebook.com/1488084524808533/videos/1586107341672917/

The chassis under the engine was the thing that touched down; the panniers didn't. Well, not until after he lost it that is

The chassis under the engine was the thing that touched down; the panniers didn't. Well, not until after he lost it that is

Old boss has a Roadking.

Scrapes the footpegs without much hassle at all

I didnt reckon much, but he loves it

At one of our RATS cake and tea ride outs last week one of the guys turned up on his Moto Guzzi Le Mans because he was taking it for an MOT.  He also rides a Triumph Tiger 800.  Quite a few of the RATS have more than one bike but to be honest I have neither the space nor the time for more than one.  I must admit see the Guzzi brought back memories because I nearly bought one many many years ago when I had my Honda CX500 (plastic pig).  Don't think I could get on one now!

As regards the pannier thing it looks as though mine will stay in the shed for the foreseeable future.  We had intended to do a bit of  a break on the bike but as our dog is unwell and on constant medication with fits and liver problems we have decided not to put him in kennels again so anywhere we go he goes.  So leaving aside the wife's idea of a sidecar so we can take him with us (Wallace and who?) it will be the bike for days out and the car for hols.

So leaving aside the wife's idea of a sidecar so we can take him with us (Wallace and who?) it will be the bike for days out and the car for hols.

Octy+dog+wife+bike trailer+bikes = travel heaven :)

Regards, Mike

• Like 2

Did laugh when I read this, surely it was a road test when it was closed off and it's all a lot of fuss about nothing. 

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news--general-news/guy-martin-in-police-investigation-after-admitting-to-180mph-speeds-on-public-roads/26568.html

That is a Harley though. Doubt youd get that problem with a normal bike? VFR ones are miles off the floor even when I'm giving it some

Looks like he was going quite slow to me too given how quickly and easily he got up and how soon the bike stopped which suggests a normal bike with panniers would have gone round that bend with loads of clearance

• Like 1

I'm back!

Been away since thursday on the bike, more on that shortly but just a quick delayed post to Thank CFB (Clive) for the tank bag and chat last sunday. Top bloke, nice to meet a fellow brisky biker, it's made me want to get a little meet arranged even more now!  :sun:

Welcome back   :hi:  Awaiting a full report  :sun:

Looks like he was going quite slow to me too given how quickly and easily he got up and how soon the bike stopped which suggests a normal bike with panniers would have gone round that bend with loads of clearance

Yeah true.

Tbh, I've never even thought to worry about that happening with panniers on mine, i dont think i need to tbh, lookin at the bike with em on, i think the pegs would probably come first, not that I've ever managed that on this bike.

Yeah true.

Tbh, I've never even thought to worry about that happening with panniers on mine, i dont think i need to tbh, lookin at the bike with em on, i think the pegs would probably come first, not that I've ever managed that on this bike.

Don't forget Harleys are designed to be riden in a straight line at less than the US speed limit.......! If you're worried sit on your bike so you compress the suspension and get a mate to put a straight edge between the bottom of the back tyre and the bottom outside edge of the pannier. If your pegs are outside of that line they will touch 1st.... simples

Don't forget Harleys are designed to be riden in a straight line at less than the US speed limit.......! If you're worried sit on your bike so you compress the suspension and get a mate to put a straight edge between the bottom of the back tyre and the bottom outside edge of the pannier. If your pegs are outside of that line they will touch 1st.... simples

True that!

Nah im not worried tbh. Id be alot more leant over, so itd probably just scrape the pannier anyway, certainly wouldnt lift the back wheel off.

I've hooned on local roads with em on n never had a prob (:

Just had a blast back from SWMBO's in sheff actually. Lovely quiet roads. Good fun (:

• Like 1

I'm back!

Been away since thursday on the bike, more on that shortly but just a quick delayed post to Thank CFB (Clive) for the tank bag and chat last sunday. Top bloke, nice to meet a fellow brisky biker, it's made me want to get a little meet arranged even more now! :sun:

You're welcome. Good to meet you at last.

I hope you had a good trip?

Had a good ride home too. Only took me 3 hrs to get back to HH.

Took the scenic route ;)

Nice post Matt, glad the weather was kind and you enjoyed yourself. Spain is brill if you ever fancy going that far afield. The ferry to Santander is the easiest way to get there and its like stepping into a new world especially if the weather in the UK wasn't that good when you left.

• Like 1

Background first: 

Since last year passing my bike test I have wanted to go on a trip on the bikes for a few nights. Initially I really wanted to go abroad but after a chat with my uncle I decided to settle on the south coast for now. He has my old CB5 and while he's been riding for years almost all of it is round London where he lives. Until recently he had a Vespa, got the CB because he wanted to test himself, he has a nerve condition which causes him some issues on the bike when riding for a while. I invited my mate Chris to come too, he has the Fireblade. I'm not sure if I was left to do the work planning it or if I just took over but I attempted to plan a route and book the hotels. :D We were going from thursday and returning sunday, staying in a different place each night. Decided to try and pack light, managed to get almost all my bits into the Kirega US20 tail pack and the remainder in the bottom of the Givvi tank bag. 

Highlights for me we Lynmouth for the view and maybe Darmoor for the roads. St Ives was also a lovely little place and I like Frome too. Things I'd do differently, maybe plan less riding each day, the first two days we're long, but then we'd cover less ground so it's getting a balance. Maybe the same amount of riding but leave at the time planned and not 30/60 min later. I feel like I've gained so much experience on the bike, a little more confidence too. I think another UK trip this year then next year a trip into the EU. 

Sorry for the looooong post, but might as well cover it all.  :sun:

Class, cheers for write up enjoyed reading it. Definitely the best way to go for first trip out! I am impressed with the bringing a projector along LOL and I did laugh at the line "I'd gone old skool, wrote all the directions and printed them" made me feel old that printing something out is now what the cool kids consider old school. I guess I am no longer home with the downies! :(

I would love to do an EU tour at some point, but it's crazy how much extra NI adds to costs with the mental ferry prices for first leg and all I would do is take a straight line ride down to Folkstone on motorways to get out the other end. Really limits the range I can go for time beyond the UK so a battlefields type tour around France and Belgium and up to Arnhem and back via Rotterdam to Hull for me I think.  

ps. can't wait for a bit of footage :D 

Nice post Matt, glad the weather was kind and you enjoyed yourself. Spain is brill if you ever fancy going that far afield. The ferry to Santander is the easiest way to get there and its like stepping into a new world especially if the weather in the UK wasn't that good when you left.

Nothing illustrates the climate change point better than this video :D 

reposting because you reminded me of it, so your fault :D 

That was a good read Matt. Sounds like every bike trip I've taken.

Good and bad weather, good and bad roads, good and bad places to stay.

The fun is getting through the bad and still laughing all the same.

So have you started planning thee next one yet? :)

Nothing illustrates the climate change point better than this video :D

reposting because you reminded me of it, so your fault :D

Problem is its a real sh1ttar when you come back.... leave Spain in May with lovely roads biker friendly drivers and temp in the mid 20s to a conjested M5 on a grey day complete with the usual pathalogical idiots...

• Like 1

Problem is its a real sh1ttar when you come back.... leave Spain in May with lovely roads biker friendly drivers and temp in the mid 20s to a conjested M5 on a grey day complete with the usual pathalogical idiots...

That was my view every time I had to go back to the UK from Holland, could make massive progress on the roads then I emerge at Dover of Folkstone and all that is over :( 

Chuffed to bits today

Bought a Peugeot Vox scooter new this year, it struggled to keep up on A-roads, so sold it and found a very rare MZ which came onto Gumtree and I bought it in a flash, sending a courier to Scotland to get it.  My MZ expert is poorly so I could not get it perfected as wanted, so after a while decided to float it on ebay to see what happened.

in 48 hours, 600+ views, 50+ watchers, 3 buyers-sold at record asking price.

I pondered about what to do next, as having a bike is useful for nipping to work and back (saving the Zafira from a dusty, nail littered car-park too) and I wanted to keep my hand in with a small capacity bike that could keep up with traffic and fit down our side entrance without hassle.

Nipped onto Gumtree yesterday, came across a newly added mint, one retired owner bike with 1954 miles only 25 miles away, so rang the guy, did a deal over the phone, HPId it, insured it, grabbed the cash and drove over to it.

The new bike is a 1998 Kawasaki GPZ500s in black with 1954 miles and it looks new.  It had been sat 11 years and the guy had gone to get a battery and some fuel.  We drained the tank, added fuel, fitted the battery and went to start it.  Instant start!  Freed the calipers, lubed the chain, checked tyres, checked the electrics, booked an MOT and rode it away!

It is now in with my favourite bike guru having a mega recommissioning with new tyres, lines, filters, brakes, etc and a new MOT, and I have ordered a matching panel off ebay for the one that got scratched in storage.

Fair play to the old chap selling it, we did a deal on the phone for less than he was asking and whilst there his phone was constant-he told me when we'd settled up that he'd had 4 offers of the asking price over the phone and one for £250 more-but kept with our deal.  Just checked on ebay and an identical bike is on for nearly three times what I paid for it!

So, a bit of messing and trial and error, but now have a mint Jap bike coming at the weekend which is not even run in-and after the Wheeler-Dealering profits has cost me around £500 all in.  As half that came from birthday money, I've won all round.  I've got a bike, the family budget has not been hacked into.  Result!

• Like 2

Chuffed to bits today

Bought a Peugeot Vox scooter new this year, it struggled to keep up on A-roads, so sold it and found a very rare MZ which came onto Gumtree and I bought it in a flash, sending a courier to Scotland to get it.  My MZ expert is poorly so I could not get it perfected as wanted, so after a while decided to float it on ebay to see what happened.

in 48 hours, 600+ views, 50+ watchers, 3 buyers-sold at record asking price.

I pondered about what to do next, as having a bike is useful for nipping to work and back (saving the Zafira from a dusty, nail littered car-park too) and I wanted to keep my hand in with a small capacity bike that could keep up with traffic and fit down our side entrance without hassle.

Nipped onto Gumtree yesterday, came across a newly added mint, one retired owner bike with 1954 miles only 25 miles away, so rang the guy, did a deal over the phone, HPId it, insured it, grabbed the cash and drove over to it.

The new bike is a 1998 Kawasaki GPZ500s in black with 1954 miles and it looks new.  It had been sat 11 years and the guy had gone to get a battery and some fuel.  We drained the tank, added fuel, fitted the battery and went to start it.  Instant start!  Freed the calipers, lubed the chain, checked tyres, checked the electrics, booked an MOT and rode it away!

It is now in with my favourite bike guru having a mega recommissioning with new tyres, lines, filters, brakes, etc and a new MOT, and I have ordered a matching panel off ebay for the one that got scratched in storage.

Fair play to the old chap selling it, we did a deal on the phone for less than he was asking and whilst there his phone was constant-he told me when we'd settled up that he'd had 4 offers of the asking price over the phone and one for £250 more-but kept with our deal.  Just checked on ebay and an identical bike is on for nearly three times what I paid for it!

So, a bit of messing and trial and error, but now have a mint Jap bike coming at the weekend which is not even run in-and after the Wheeler-Dealering profits has cost me around £500 all in.  As half that came from birthday money, I've won all round.  I've got a bike, the family budget has not been hacked into.  Result!

Awesome find! There was a GPZ500S very similar looking for sale locally last year and it was well worn with 30K miles and looked like it had done 70K! Guy wanted £1550............ It was for sale for months and eventually he said he got his price :o

• Like 1

I would love to do an EU tour at some point, but it's crazy how much extra NI adds to costs with the mental ferry prices for first leg and all I would do is take a straight line ride down to Folkstone on motorways to get out the other end. Really limits the range I can go for time beyond the UK so a battlefields type tour around France and Belgium and up to Arnhem and back via Rotterdam to Hull for me I think.

Are the Cork ferries not an option for you? The Cork-Roscoff service looks like it would be a good one.

Don't know whereabouts you are in NI but Belfast-Cork is about 7 hours according to Mr Google[tm].

Regards, Mike

Are the Cork ferries not an option for you? The Cork-Roscoff service looks like it would be a good one.

Don't know whereabouts you are in NI but Belfast-Cork is about 7 hours according to Mr Google[tm].

Regards, Mike

It makes no difference which way I go to get to mainland EU both involve long boring motorway rides and crazy overpriced ferries. 

Class, cheers for write up enjoyed reading it. Definitely the best way to go for first trip out! I am impressed with the bringing a projector along LOL and I did laugh at the line "I'd gone old skool, wrote all the directions and printed them" made me feel old that printing something out is now what the cool kids consider old school. I guess I am no longer home with the downies! :(

ps. can't wait for a bit of footage :D

haha, well more old skool than Satnavs, I wouldnt be able to write them all out 3 times, plus I doubt they'd be able to read my awful handwriting. :D

I'd have enough of motorways after 5 junctions of the M3 tbh, hateful on a motorway on a bike. Footage to come, need to get them off the strange brick computer and edit them, over 250 GB to go through. Maybe it's because I'm new to it all but the editing is a right ****, no wonder it takes BvG so long to do an update :D 

That was a good read Matt. Sounds like every bike trip I've taken.

Good and bad weather, good and bad roads, good and bad places to stay.

The fun is getting through the bad and still laughing all the same.

So have you started planning thee next one yet? :)

It all added to the fun. Next one is already in my head, just looking at some ferry websites now. I'm off to Wuppertal in June with my mate, maybe after a little trip overseas. 

Nice write up! Enjoyed reading it (:

Glad you enjoyed the trip.

Its not even summer yet, youll have to get a few more booked in ;)

On it, at least one more this year I think.