Upgrading the bushes!

Hi all,

On some good advice from ABC in Leeds I am upgrading the bushes on my vRS. Front rear wishbone and engine mount D bone for now. I have seen these on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200704542161?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190602334074?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Any thoughts or advice? :thumbup:

theres another thread on the poly wishbone bushes, i infact have also brought some this week, fitting them soon hopefully, most people have said to only bother replacing them when the originals wear out, and the PF ones seem to have very good reviws from people on here regarding the wishbone items, however the dogbone mount is one where a lot of people are on the fence. some people agree with it some dont, there are threads on here regarding it. it depends on your driving style and car uses, if it your little pocket rocket toy and you are the only real driver and like to have a play in it then i would say go for the dogbone mount however if its a family car your good lady might drive then i would advise against it, over the time i have seen a few lower engine mounts on ebay that have been used with the seller simply putting either ''didnt get on with it'' or ''wife couldnt agree with it''.

my intentions are to fully poly bush my whole car one bush at a time, my car is on coil overs and im a younger chap so ride quality is not something i looke for all i require from my car is knowing that when i turn the steering wheel the car goes where i want it.

hope this helps

Yeah the main reason I'm doing the rear wishbones is to eliminate the play in steering as the current ones are allowing play which knocks the alignment out over time.

Really not sure about the rear engine D bone. Have been advised to do it to stop the engine bouncing forward when you put your foot down which also contributes to the steering thing.

Have read loads of posts on here either way.

I have that version fitted, it's only noticeable really on tick over but does settle down over time, it's worth the sacrifice in my eyes as the gearshift is more positive and the engine doesn't move much now.

I have that version fitted, it's only noticeable really on tick over but does settle down over time, it's worth the sacrifice in my eyes as the gearshift is more positive and the engine doesn't move much now.

Cool that sounds like a good compromise then?

I've just had my front wisbone front and rear bushes done today at shark. Gone for the cupra ones on the rear and powerflex on the front. Feels fine, no extra vibrations, feels standard.

Got the car back today - handling is far better!

Still seems very sensitive though in that the steering wheel can often look of centre but am going straight. Not sure if that is due to over sensitive road camber? Got the alignment printout from ABC and everything is now aligned spot on though...

Only thing is that after having the D bone done there is a lot of vibration when sat at idle. Hopefully this will settle down over the next few days/weeks with regular use but was expecting that to a degree anyway.

But car certainly feels better :whew:

Great service once again from ABC Car Service - even got a 2nd hand OEM backbox fitted at same time. Labour cost overall was very reasonable. :)

You get use to the idle - I upgraded to those items about 2 months back and can't complain :)

FYI to anyone reading this and thinking of doing it them selves - buy the Powerflex bushes - the seat ones are a bugger to fit!

• Like 2

FYI to anyone reading this and thinking of doing it them selves - buy the Powerflex bushes - the seat ones are a bugger to fit!

/\ Couldn't agree more, no special tool required and have a lifetime guarantee, this is one area where OEM and uprated OEM from another brand isn't the best choice.

You get use to the idle - I upgraded to those items about 2 months back and can't complain :)

Did the idle vibration settle down from the initial install or did it stay just as harsh for you?

Some days I don't notice it and others I do but to be honest it's not that bad. So lobng as they sent you the 70k and not the 80k you should be fine. Remeber it's not just the dogbone mount that increases the road noise. You'd added tougher buishes as well.

TBH I don't mind it as my other car had very hard engine mounts too. It's a personal choice :)

Very true - I like the better feel and handling but may miss my comfort a bit. We will see....