Air filter box, MPI

I'm in the process of making a cold air intake system for my fabia and there was one thing that caught my eye. In the plastic tube, the arm, if you will, there seems to be some sort of sensor. This doesn't seem to be hooked up to anything aside from a hose that routes air, so what does it do?

I'm probably just going to bypass it, but I want to know what it is. Anyone?

Cheers

It's the cold air/warm air flap sensor.

When it's cold, the flap will keep the air intake closed and draw air from in and around the exhaust manifold.

When it's warm, the flap will open, allowing cool air to go into the air box.

What I found out is that the flap was ruined anyway - and I purely didn't care about super cold air going into the manifold - it's all good.

I used some silicon flexi-hose ducting (to try keep heat away from the air from the engine) to go to the box - I noticed an instant improvement in torque.

I can dig out some pictures if needs be?

Please do, mate. I'd really appreciate it.

As for that flap, I managed to open the damn thing (don't ask) and for the death of me it does not budge. So I think mine is fubar as well.

I'm using bendable abs plastic that's actually made for this, except I'm going to wrap it in exhaust bandage to isolate it from the heat. I've used this method before and it worked fine. Well, until a lorry broke it.

http://biltema.se/sv...langsats-33216/

Edited by DaKKs_152

As stated above, heat activates the flap. Put it in some warm water (the arm is only held to the airbox with one screw and the hot feed hose) and it should slowly open.

Edited by anewman

Mine was screwed - refused to open at all.

Quite possibly why in summer when I initially started driving it, it felt particularly gutless. Lol!

Here's the prototype, so to speak. 76mm from the front to the filter box. I was actually surprised, you can feel the difference when driving.

IMG_20120513_191251.jpg

Told ya so ;)

P.s. that's a nice neat looking install - is that pipe available on the bay of E?

Told ya so ;)

P.s. that's a nice neat looking install - is that pipe available on the bay of E?

Ta, mate. The white gunk wont be visible once I'm done.

Unfortunately, no. Its an OEM part manufactured by BT Tuning for Biltema.

http://www.biltema.se/sv/Bil---MC/Bilreservdelar/Kylsystem--Ventilation/Slangar/Slangar-ovrigt/Slangsats-33216/

They're 100SEK (8.42 quid) a piece. I could ship you one if you're interested.

Does this mod get rid of the flap and make it effectively open all the time?

Yup - but i'd not be overly concerned about that to be fair. I ran mine like this for a whole year last year in the snow and the rain and never had any issues.

It's definitely beneficial to the asthmatic MPI - A cold air feed into the TDI is a good idea, and obviously isn't the cost of a ridiculous PD160 pipe - but then if it's not done well it'll look far from oem, which is I guess why people buy the PD160 pipe.

However, I would have thought that if you're looking for something beneficial for a TDI - one of the better mods you could do is improved intercooler. Whether that's FMIC or SMIC, improved intercooling will help sort heat soak - which becomes a problem under heavier loads with a turbo no matter whether you've got a cold air feed going into your air box or not. the turbo will still heat that cold air up ;)

There is a caveat with intercoolers however - bigger intercoolers along with extra pipework to fit them on a standard car = more lag and possibly less power.

Depends how you want to go - OEM+ or not.

But back on topic... Cold air into a NA engine such as this can only be a good thing!

holy crap, I use that hose for a my dryer :giggle:

Why dont you just take out the airfilterbox, take a ironsaw and saw the bottom out of the airfilterbox. You can also choose to only remove the front-under part of the airfilterbox. Then put in a replacement airfilter from K&N or Pipercross (40 euro) and put it back in. It will sound great! Than it can take as much air as it would like, the flap is still functional, your original airinlet is still there.

Only when you hit the gas people will know that the car is modded. It doesn't really mather if you take the cold air from outside or from the engine compartment.

The modd I discriped is placed on my fabia mk1 2.0 MPI and runs like hell.

Trust me on this - cold air on a NA engine is a much nicer hit than any panel filter.

The standard paper filter on an NA engine has plenty of capacity for any NA engine - it's the temperature of the air going in that matters.

Proof of the matter? The same paper filter goes on a 1.9TDI and lots of people swear by paper filters even with remaps.

Not every paper filter is as effective as you say. I've seen my fair share of crap filters. But if the filter in question is of good quality, then I wholeheartedly agree.

About the cold air intake mod. I'd like to thank everyone who recommended it. Finally the fifth gear on my car is usable. I can actually accelerate on fifth. The difference in acceleration and throttle response is bloody incredible. All that from a three hour and 10 quid mod.

I think all the flap's for is to prevent carburettor icing. This should not really be an issue in most European countries I'd have thought.

I'd agree except my Varadero used to suffer carb icing in the UK during summer with high humidity, the Honda dealer tried to fob me off till I offered to take it to VOSA at which point Honda UK suddenly designed and provided carb heaters and picked up the bill for the dealer to fit them. Without them driving back from my parents was lethal, you'd go from doing NSL to a roundabout, come off the throttle, drop two cogs and be left with absolutely nothing pulling out in front of oncoming traffic.

Not saying it will be an issue on the mpi but don't discount it.

• Like 1

Well, if push comes to shove, it wouldn't be that hard to hook it up again, parallel to the cold air intake. It would take some creativity, but its doable.

It's like night and day innit? ;)

You got that right. I knew it would react well to it, but not this much. I though my dad's saab got a kick out of the cold air intake kit, but nah, fart in a fan factory compared to the MPI.

Edited by DaKKs_152

I have a PD 160 intake, how is this different from the pipe which you 2 have joined to your air box? Apart from it been bigger obviously.

Much better. I tried the PD 160. And even if you could make it fit well in the MPI, if take this instead.

Your relevant pics:

dsc09561u.jpg

I didn't notice this until now, but what the hell did you to with your brake fluid tank?