Low Flying Chinook?

andyspan

Has anyone else noticed that if you are travelling along at anything over approx 30mph and a rear seat passenger opens their window a little when all others are closed the cabin fills with a noise not dissimilar to a low flying Chinook about to land on the roof? I haven't tried it with an additional window open to see if it disapears but usually tell the offending passenger to shut the ruddy thing and rely on the aircon!

Yeah does it on our yeti and also did it on the golf we had before it feels like the air pressure is about to pop ear drums all I would do if this continued to happen is press the button on your drivers door that stops anyone opening the rear windows apart from you

Yes, my Octavia does that if I run with a rear window open about 6 inches to let the hot air out when I have just got in after a hot day. It is the air being sucked into and then blowing out of the cabin, you might be able to feel the pressure changes in your ears.

Ian

Our Roomter did the same: cured by fitting a set of wind deflectors. Found these to be an excellent invetsment when I forget to fully close the window when it rains!!

Same thing has happened on a number of cars I've owned. Open another window a fraction and it's cured.

Then again, it could be a low flying chinook looking for a landing spot :giggle:

Yes indeed.It is downright impossible to open the rear windows without being disturbed by the loud thumping effect which is agonizing to the ears.Best rely on the aircon .

Then again, it could be a low flying chinook looking for a landing spot :giggle:

Tell me about it, one woke us up at 6am on a Saturday morning back in 93. Decided hovering at almost no altitude above our quarter at RAF Wildenrath was a good spot to hold for a while :S

Can say from that experience that being woken from a deep :zzz: by a Chinook is akin to the world ending :D and obviously not one to forget.

TP

Can say from that experience that being woken from a deep :zzz: by a Chinook is akin to the world ending :D and obviously not one to forget.

TP

Yup. Many years ago I lived in rural Hampshire, about 20 miles from RAF Odiham where loads of the buggers were based, One dark night, at about 2.00am there was the most awful noise followed by glaring searchlights apparently pointed at the bedroom windows. I had never experienced anything like it, the whole house shook. Turns out that a couple of times a year they practised night flying and landing, and used one of the fields behind my house for the landing. Lived there for 4 years, never got prior warning, each time just as terrifying.

Yup. Many years ago I lived in rural Hampshire, about 20 miles from RAF Odiham where loads of the buggers were based, One dark night, at about 2.00am there was the most awful noise followed by glaring searchlights apparently pointed at the bedroom windows. I had never experienced anything like it, the whole house shook. Turns out that a couple of times a year they practised night flying and landing, and used one of the fields behind my house for the landing. Lived there for 4 years, never got prior warning, each time just as terrifying.

So - the earth moved for BobDog that night! I'da thought you'da enjoy the throbbing??

• Like 1

So - the earth moved for BobDog that night! I'da thought you'da enjoy the throbbing??

:rofl: Does this mean I have to send you to the naughty corner?

Maybe the wind defelctors from SuperSkoda would do the trick?

Coincidence?

I have just driven 10 miles or so at well over 30 mph with the O/S rear window open about 1/2 inch and didn't notice a dramatic increase in noise.

Certainly had no worries about the helipad getting a visit.

I do have wind deflectors on just the front windows though, so maybe Dave is right

One of the nephews used to drive a Chinnok round BFG, occasionally passing over here to dislodge any soot in the Chimney.

I once asked what their minimum altitude was, I think he said 100 feet but they went much lower to remind the Boxheads that they didn't invite them

Yes,

Chinooks,noisey, smelly and got my "tash singed by one, good job had eye protection on! still they are worth their weight in gold,alot of guys are around due to their use,and I wish I could fly one ! happy days

I tried this on my journey home from work today, it made me laugh a lot at how similar the sound is.

I had this noise on several cars i have had over the years, frequently as a result of opening the sun roof too far. Open a front window and it will go away. All down to a drop in air pressure I think. Open a front windown will allow the pressure in the car to return to normal and the noise and discomfort will disappear.

Chris

Worcester

I like to open my rear windows slightly, get the 'whup whup whup' going, play Ride of the Valkyries, and start saying "I love the smell of napalm in the morning....."

(OK that was a Huey not a Chinook but the effect is the same!!)

• Like 1

I had this noise on several cars i have had over the years, frequently as a result of opening the sun roof too far. Open a front window and it will go away. All down to a drop in air pressure I think. Open a front windown will allow the pressure in the car to return to normal and the noise and discomfort will disappear.

Chris Worcester

You're very close there Chris; it's an increase in air pressure as the air flow is partially directed into the car & causes buffeting. When the pressure is high enough, it suddenly leaks out causing a brief drop in pressure before more air is scooped in - this sequence happens far more rapidly than it takes to describe!

Manufacturers often fit a small deflector at the leading edge of a sliding sunroof to direct the air stream higher & avoid the scoop effect.

The "rear window" issue happens on a Yeti (and other cars) when a rear window is opened by more than a certain amount. Open it only a small way and there is insufficient air directed inside to cause a pressure increase. Open it wider and a bigger 'scoop' is created causing the buffeting. Same can happen with the front windows, but you'll generally find that opening a rear window at the same time allows the air to bleed back out & the buffeting stops.

John H