Fog lights as DRLs

No, the DRL's on the non-vRS Octavia are integrated into the foglights but use a separate bulb.

However it is possible to set the foglights as DRL's using VCDS and you are also able to set their brightness.

On the Facelift there's another light to the outside edge of the fog-light which is the DRL (must confuse a load of people)

The Pre-FL can have them activated using North-American settings and then setting the North-American to fogs instead of dipped beam. (I don't have the coding as mine were done for me by Mike Holroyd ) They come on when the hand-brake is released, and off when it's on.

Edited by RainbowFore

Cheers.

I tested before, I can activate them on my Leon just by clicking a tickbox, don't need to change the country settings. Just thinking about using them as people keep pulling out in front of me! The only thing I was worried about was ****ing other road users off.

Cheers.

! The only thing I was worried about was ****ing other road users off.

I was thinking the same, it's an offence to use fog lights when it's not foggy so every one will be running around with fogs on

" Fogs............No there DRL's ".........no there not there Fogs :yes:

I was thinking the same, it's an offence to use fog lights when it's not foggy so every one will be running around with fogs on

That is why you code them at a lower level of output, not sure what it would do to the long term life of the bulb though.

Paul

.....don't need to change the country settings.

It's not a change of country settings. VCDS lists two types: Scandinavian and North American. The country coding hasn't been changed.

........and don't forget they're the cornering lights as well, in all weathers too :giggle: :giggle:

@ Mike " Can the rear lights be Illuminated with the DRL's " (FL Octavia Vrs )

Cheers

Yes, Central electrics module 09, can be done by dealer. Although it MUST be possible within VCDS just isnt an option in the long coding helper. if someone knew which byte/bit controlled the rear light illumination on a FL it could be changed manually.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/237093-octavia-fl-possible-coding-options-updated-27712/

I assume your Leon has the bi-xenon headlights as these Leon's are the only ones with DRL's...

No, I don't, that's why I'm asking about making fog lights the DRLs. Which is possible, and works. My main worry was people getting pulled for it, obviously you can turn down the brightness so it doesn't dazzle other road users, but I don't want the police pulling me thinking I've got fog lights on.

You should read this thread.

The Seat Leon uses the exact same front fog lights as the Octavia Scout and Octavia vRS.

The Octavia Scout has a factory option of replacing the front fog lights with LED DRL's (the same as fitted to the Fabia vRS) - pictures are in the linked thread.

Once fitted to your Leon you could then use VCDS to set the front fogs as DRL's at full brightness and have fully legal OEM LED DRL's instead...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/200817-octavia-pre-fl-led-drls/page__hl__+led%20+drl%20+vrs#entry2386776

Leon foglights look nothing like that.

You should read this thread.

The Seat Leon uses the exact same front fog lights as the Octavia Scout and Octavia vRS.

The Octavia Scout has a factory option of replacing the front fog lights with LED DRL's (the same as fitted to the Fabia vRS) - pictures are in the linked thread.

Once fitted to your Leon you could then use VCDS to set the front fogs as DRL's at full brightness and have fully legal OEM LED DRL's instead...

http://www.briskoda....rs#entry2386776

I see.

The only reason I wanted to use the current fogs, is because I didn't want to spend any money. You can get proper OEM DRL strips, or some aftermarket ones which look identical for the Leon, which I'd probably get as I prefer the strips myself. They're around £150 I think, the SEAT's never had the option of having DRL's, apart from on the new ones which are getting the DRL unit.

Cheers for the link anyways. Out of curiosity, how hard are they to fit?

Not sure on the fitment side of things, as you can see from my linked thread I was hoping someone else would be the guinea pig!

I'm assuming that the securing points may be slightly different from car to car but I'm guessing that the black plastic surrounds are interchangeable and you can therefore use the ones already fitted to the car.

I've never seen a Seat with the strip LED DRL's, the only Leon's I've seen with DRL's are those with the factory fit bi-xenon headlights, and then they are the standard incandescent bulbs. Therefore (at least in my world) any form of LED DRL's on a Leon is non-OEM and would shout "young lad trying too hard to impress or old bloke with too much time"!

Fog lights are restricted in their use because of their height above road level unless the bulb does not exceed 21 watts, so it follows that DRL's at fog light height must have bulbs that do not exceed 21 watts.

Mac

Cheers for the info guys.

@ Silver101 - I know the strip LEDs are fairly contentious amongst most people. Personally I'm for them, think they look good, but I only mean proper ones built into the lights. I half arsed effort with a Halfords LED stick on strip looks silly to me, but I think where they're built into the headlight they look good.

Personally I'm for them, think they look good.

At the end of the day that's all that counts.

I've seen the ones you fitted to the RX-8 and to be fair these did in fact look very OEM.

I guess that because I'm quite clued up about the Octavia (thanks to this forum) if I see a non-vRS pre-FL Octavia heading towards me with LED DRL's I know they are not original.

As was mentioned in the other DRL thread running alongside this one if we all liked the same thing the world would be a boring place!