Too good to be true?

Well if you think about it their 5 years old now and some are showing the typical problems one gets around that mileage (bushes, timing belt service etc etc). I'm not suprised some people are selling them on.

The price is certainly very suspiciously cheap considering the mileage is relatively low - most SE's seem to be around the 70k mark (except mine and a few others). If it wasn't a write-off I'd suggest a dealer price around £6995

The timing belt replacement was due over a year ago so unless people haven't bothered in the last 12-18 months I can't see it would be an issue.

Mine's just had new bushes...

Not for class d you don't.

Cat D

Cat C

Cat X

All have to be advertised as such otherwise u are breaking the law

Extract taken from

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/road-safety/9214351/The-truth-behind-category-D-insurance-writes-offs.html

"The worry is that many buyers may not understand what Category D means, and therefore what they are buying. Before putting any vehicle on sale, a dealer should take “all reasonable steps” to check its history, including whether it has been written off or accident-damaged, says the Office of Fair Trading (OFT). This includes conducting a vehicle history check and asking the seller to declare any damage."

Found this on the official office of fair trading website

http://www.oft.gov.uk/news-and-updates/press/2010/71-10

There is s dealer checklist u can download + this is page 11 of that document. Failing to do any of the points in the checklist is breaking the law and if a complaint is made it will result in legal action.

Screenshot_2012-10-21-09-16-05.png

All i know is i have bought loads of class d's as they are cheap. Often with light damage. A dealer may have to declare it, and i always have when selling on. But as the cat isn't registred as beyond repair it is no different from buying a car that lightly damaged in a collision and not written off. It just means it was uneconomical for the insurance conpamy to bother with. Look on ebay for salvaged cars, there are skme amasing buys. I once bought an mr2 with 36k on the clock with one bolt off bolt on panel creases for 1.7k!

Stefan

^^ agreed u can get a bargain.... BUT it has to be declared when selling.. and its a bargain if u want a Cat D.. but if ur not aware then ur getting ripped off + insurance companys charge u more to insure + sum wont touch any write offs... aswell as being alot harder to shift once u come to sell up

I'd imagine pleading dumb will come into it "Eee its Cat D damaged?! I had no idea... Even tho the bumper looks a different colour..."

They OFT cover this too.. it is the sellers responsibility to check the vehicles history HPI ect BEFORE putting the vehicle up for sale... failure to do so is against the law and the seller can be prosecuted

Screenshot_2012-10-21-11-03-21.png

Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole :no:

Gutted as 473 is the month and year of my birth.

If I had been looking for a LE either that or 666

would have been all I'd have considered.

Must be!

Note this too:

Yea tbh the car doesn't look all that bad considering it went down the road in its side, on closer examination one of the people at the work shop found that where part of the wheel split was fractured a while ago because of corrosion etc what happen was (I think as a was a bit of a crazy blur) front wheel hit a stone or small pot hole which instantly broke up the wheel this veered me left clipping hedge putting me into a Spin, the car then went up the hedge backwards chucking in onto it's side, something then dug in throwing it back up Ito it's wheels. Damage is as followed = front passenger light, front & rear bumpers, quarter panels, doors, rear driver quarter panel, tailgate, both rear lights, new wheel, new suspension assembly as that's twisted, exhaust back box, new windscreen, passenger roof pillar that's just a visual check :/

Edited by DRJ