G13 Coolant

Bhana

Evening All,

Today morning starting up the Fab the coolant light flashed and stayed on. So I had a quick look at the expansion tank and noticed the coolant level was below minimum. Went down to the local Skoda dealer and got my self some G13 coolant.

However after topping up the coolant I thought 'Was I meant to dilute this?'

So my first question - Was I meant to dilute the coolant before topping up?

Second question - Do I need to siphon some coolant out to add some water to it?

Thanks in advance

So my first question - Was I meant to dilute the coolant before topping up?

Second question - Do I need to siphon some coolant out to add some water to it?

Unless it was a ready mixed bottle (unlikely), then yes and yes to those questions.

Unless you live in conditions approaching -45 degrees Celsius/Centigrade.

I thought the fabia took G12 - is it a case of just "at least G12"?

Also just a bit of info - my SE has an issue on cold days where the warning light comes on - I intend to have the bottle changed as the sensor is acting up.

Edited by wilsonian

You are dead right but If the OP had actually confirmed how much he had put in would have been useful ....."some".....

Just changed my sensor bottle, was getting too used to that annoying light now its a thing of the past. Not a hard job to change if you are sensible about it.

G13 is just the latest stuff and can be used/mixed with the older types but does need diluting as above. If you were only topping up I wouldn't worry about it being too strong though.

Invest in a anti freeze concentrate tester for a few£ to ensure you have the correct dilution. Checked my wife's beetle after a water pump cam belt change and the garage must have used neat anti freeze with no dilution which is bad! Had to drain off and add water. My car had no anti freeze but that's because I use water wetter in the summer and changeto g12+ for winter.

Invest in a anti freeze concentrate tester for a few£ to ensure you have the correct dilution. Checked my wife's beetle after a water pump cam belt change and the garage must have used neat anti freeze with no dilution which is bad! Had to drain off and add water. My car had no anti freeze but that's because I use water wetter in the summer and changeto g12+ for winter.

Make sure it's suitable for G12. An etheleyne glycol tester (normally blue or green) wont give the correct reading for propoleyne glycol, for this you normally need a refractometer which are £30-£70.

• Like 1

Never heard of G13

Unless G12++ has been rebranded. Either way the instructions are on the bottle what ratio to dilute to. Gen stuff is 3 parts water to 2 parts antifreeze for -24•c iirc.

Guy at the counter said its just G12 re branded.

You are dead right but If the OP had actually confirmed how much he had put in would have been useful ....."some".....

Just changed my sensor bottle, was getting too used to that annoying light now its a thing of the past. Not a hard job to change if you are sensible about it.

I put in enough to bring the level from just under min to max.

G13 is just the latest stuff and can be used/mixed with the older types but does need diluting as above. If you were only topping up I wouldn't worry about it being too strong though.

As I said above just bought the level from min to max.

You can buy ready mixed G12 1 litre bottles on Ebay.

Now I'd be looking into possible reasons for the coolant loss?

Had a quick look around the rad, didn't check the oil filler cap. But these checks were very rushed as I was running very late for work. Hopefully do a proper check on the weekend.

Thanks for the very prompt replies :thumbup: . Keep you guys updated.