brakes brakes brakes

Skodaniel

so, tomorrow i am going to tackle an issue i have with my fabia vrs,

every morning i reverse out my drive, apply the brake a bit and get a horrible grinding metal sound, normally if its coming from the rear. when i am driving normally the car is fine, when i apply the brake it pulses the brake pedal. no vibration or expensive judder or anything like that. just a pulsing through the pedal and a noiselike worn pads. i am goin to assume it needs new pads, possibly brake discs. when i brought the car a few months ago it had fairly new discs on so i should hope it isn't that. it does on my mot mention slights play on driver side front wheel. not sure if that's anything to do with anything.

any brands to avoid from euro car parts? that's probably where I'll get them from as they have quite a good sale on currently.

Have a look at the rear brakes by all means, but if as you say the noise goes away when you've used them a few times, then it is quite normal. It will be the rear discs going slightly rusty overnight and that's what you will here.

If you do find a problem, you do know that when replacing pads, you have to use a special tool to wind back the piston. There was a pic guide on here, but I can't find it atm.

• Like 1

Try applying a small amount of copper grease on the backs of the pads. However Jim H is right that it's just overnight rust.

Play in the front wheel could either be worn track rods or wheel bearings.

pair of needle nose pliers and a rag on the end of the handle worked a treat for me pushing the piston back! The rag just stopped the ends digging in, for some reason my pliers have pointy ends :(

In terms of brands, I bought eicher, they're ok, but would have preferred pagid. Will be getting pagid for my front brakes.

Edited by ToxicNeo

Play is probably a bushing tbh. Id check front and rear wishbone bushes, dead common for them to fail. Most people fit cupra bushes to the rear and superpro/powerflex into the front. Saves changing them again next year ;)

I went for oem discs and bosch pads on mine for now. Mint for what they are.

Rear pistons are twist and push, +1 on the rag and pliers if you dont have the correct tools, taking care not to split the rubber boot.

so i think it needs new pads on the front, seems they are sticking on a bit too, couldn't get the bolts that hold the caliper on off, going to use my dads decent jack and confidently force them out. not too keen on the scissor jack! wheel stopped dead after trying to spin it, so i figure the brakes are sticking on.

also noticed this 20121227_115200_zpse1e23624.jpg

seems to be broken half way round. not sure what it is, but its behind the wheel.other side is complete. can someone advice?

i've changed mine recently and i'm no mechanic, just have a go first, if i can't did i'll phone a friend, wheel off then slightly turn wheel hub and then need to release them bolts, spray some wd40 to release them a bit, remove the metal top plate, the anti roll bar bushes are split and can be a little bit awkward to put on so use some oil to lubricate it onto the bar, i had a nightmare doing the driverside one, just have to turn the wheel a bit same as before.

Made hell of a difference, no more knocking, been like it since i bought the car, cost me £7 from skoda for parts, mine was the 19mm dia size, some people on here have had different sizes for the same anti roll bar bushes.