Is the Mk1 vRS still the 'king'?

Mr Ree

Is it 2 or 3 years now?

Long enough time has passed by now for me, and I really still cannot get even remotely excited about the current one.

I remember a lot of suggestions of petty jealousy from would be mk 2 owners when some mk1 owners said they didn't like the new model

Not wishing to start a fight, and each to their own as it wouldn't be good if we all had the same tastes and opinions, but i still think the mk1 is the best all rounder by far.

Had mine parked very close to mk2 recently, and apart from the engine preference, I just think it looks so much better anyway.....IN MY OPINION!

Re-introduce the mk1, and I'd more than likely buy another one tbh.

Right, off to get my flame proof suit now.

Edited by Mr Ree
  • Like 4

Things change, preferences change, technology progresses (you can't argue the new one isn't more advanced than the mk1) - just some people prefer diesel, some like twin charge petrols. We're all different and that's what makes the world go round :thumbup:

I think Skoda UK must be kicking themselves for not offering the 140PS CR engine like SEAT do. Even so, I just don't like the look of the new one. And apparently the headlamps are shocking.

IF I ever manage to convince SWMBO to trade in the vRS then I suspect it will be for a CR140 SEAT Ibiza sadly. With xenons.

• Like 1

Things change, preferences change, technology progresses (you can't argue the new one isn't more advanced than the mk1) - just some people prefer diesel, some like twin charge petrols. We're all different and that's what makes the world go round :thumbup:

Oh yes. i CANNOT disagree on any of those points, but in all honesty, i don't think I'd be charging down to the stealer even if they'd managed to squeeze the 2.0 170 diesel lump in it tbqh.

There is no doubt for a supermini with a Passat`s mini cab engine, the MK1 has done remarkably well. I`m not sure even VW knew it would be as popular as it was/is. As Jason says though, technology moves on. In my mind the 170bhp CR engine should have been the follow on, but I guess for various reasons its no longer suited to having a small diesel supermini.

• Like 1

'Advanced' doesn't always mean progress and more reliabilty/longevity though ey?

• Like 1

Looks wise, for me the MK1 wins every time, just like I prefer the look of the MK1 Octavia to the MK2 Octavia. As for which is the overall better car I would imagine the MK2. But then personally I would never buy one as you can't get one with a proper gearbox.

• Like 1

From certain angles the mk2 looks good, but that might be camera trickery! Overall it's too tall for my liking

As is the mk1, I could probably got my head in its arch gap from looking at it on my drive lol

I think Skoda UK must be kicking themselves for not offering the 140PS CR engine like SEAT do. Even so, I just don't like the look of the new one. And apparently the headlamps are shocking.

IF I ever manage to convince SWMBO to trade in the vRS then I suspect it will be for a CR140 SEAT Ibiza sadly. With xenons.

Hmm.. I'll look into that in the future, are there any goodies like auto, rear electric windows etc..?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Agree with this ^^^

Mk1 fabia standard is pretty ugly but the new one is really bad from most angles.. + who would buy a petrol vrs estate?? :S... too much like the suzukiswift aswell lol :D

2.0 cr would have sold it tho..

The new 1.4 tsi is the crappest engine VW have produced in a long time + will show its MANY weaknesses when people start putting the miliage on ;)

But as the missus keeps reminding me the mk1 looks OLD now (because it is old :D)

Dissagree with the octy comments tho.. mk2 is a good looking car.. the mk1 never did it 4 me.. non colour coded on a vrs :S... fugly lol!

'Advanced' doesn't always mean progress and more reliabilty/longevity though ey?

True. The whole oil burning thing is a bit of a put-off with the mk2 vRS.

What's amazed me is there's been about 16 posts so far, and the whole thing is very amicable..... There's been no slanging, no reports in the back room. I'm shocked! :D

What's amazed me is there's been about 16 posts so far, and the whole thing is very amicable..... There's been no slanging, no reports in the back room. I'm shocked! :D

And to think that diesels used to have the nickname 'oil burners'... Haha

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

And to think that diesels used to have the nickname 'oil burners'... Haha

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

:rofl:

I have nothing worthwhile to add as I've never driven the mk2 but still think the mk1 looks better, modded or not.

'Cause it's Christmas!

Okay, well I'm lucky enough to have a mk1 and mk2 so I'm familiar at least with the basic build, but not driving one.

(The wifes Mk2 is only a HTP)

The HTP though I'm quite surprised for its very low spec how nice it is to drive around town etc.

Not a lot of grunt like the vRS but easily driveable and much better than the old MPI she had before it.

If that car makes only 70hp and drives that well then the 180hp vRS must be great, although I would worry about it being a bit "top heavy" looking

The petrol vRS much be a hoot. Its tall and comfortable to be in too. However at my age I would now look carefully and given the only marginal price difference I would have thought the Octy (and particularly diesel) would make more sense.

The MK1 - I like its presence and its wider.

The MK2 is narrow and tall but comfortable inside, has some smoother lines.

I think the newer car is far more funky and modern, but I agree about the diesel suggestions.

I may well have had the newer model if they put it out as a diesel option and have not at all been turned on to petrol supercharged model as its less practical, less mpg, higher insurance etc.

If anything its a bit less Skoda to me, not unsurprisingly towing the line of the rest of the group like Polo GTI etc although doing it well I may add.

While the Skoda vRS seemed unique to me, I suppose the closest to it is an Ibiza or Polo GT but they never did an all out performance model did they ?

I also have a softer spot for the MK1 as it reminds me of how I first felt about owning a Golf GTI mk1 - compared to later models. I don't think the MK2 could give me the feeling but I'm sure would be great to drive. I'd reserve further judgement in relation to how it actually drives until I ACTUALLY drive one.

I could have bought a brand new mark 2 fully loaded and had enough change for

an overseas holiday.

In the end I just couldn't trust one after all the horror stories I've read on here.

And after managing to keep MartynVRS in my rear view mirror round castle combe in my mildly

tuned mark one I didn't think it was enough of an upgrade performance wise either.

Although it was quicker than mine through the bends, no doubt there.

The look of the Mark 2 has grown on me though, I was quite anti when it was released.

But I have to say I'm very happy with what I ended up with.

All the toys, much nicer noise and an interior that is head and shoulders above

anything in a mark 2 fabia. Even if it did skint me...

Well I’ll chip my ten penneth in here.

Starting by my car history, the last few cars that I have bought I have picked up with about 20,000 miles on them and got rid of them at about 70,000 miles, about 3 years later. At the middle of this year I had owned my VRS SE for 3 years and covered 50,000 miles in it, and I started looking around for a replacement, and after a couple of months reading car reviews, visiting dealers and taking many test drives (including the MK2) I am still driving my old VRS SE !.

For my needs I can’t fault it, it’s been cheap to run, very reliable and it still put’s a smile on my face every time I drive it. I could not find another car that I believe could have match it. Alright it’s not the best looking car around but I do prefer it to the MK2, it might not handle as well as some other front wheel drive cars, but I’ve taken it around the track a few times and it’s always gone where I’ve wanted it to go and apart from almost getting lapped by Richard (BossFox) in his yellow mean machine at Combe :sweat: it’s quite quick, especially in real world driving where it does surprise many other drivers in “faster” cars.

So all in all by the look of it I’ll be keeping it for another few years at least, and spend my time enjoying driving it and modifying it, which is something I don’t think I would have been doing if I had changed to a Mk2.

Long live the MK1

Karl :thumbup:

PS

If someone could take the MK2 running gear and mount the MK1 body on it with a CR170 engine in it I'd buy it

Project Richard LOL

Edited by korban