Is the Mk1 vRS still the 'king'?

Mr Ree

I've owned both. This is my opinion.

The mk1 I liked so much I spent £££ turning it into a mean machine and only made the hard decision to sell it because I bought something noticably quicker.

The mk2 I sold after four days.

Make no mistake, on the track a well driven mk2 in stock form will pass a well driven mk1 remapped to similar power of 180bhp.

Inexperienced drivers do not make the mk2 look quick. Same driver skill, same day the mk2 wins.

The mk2 cars we've had on the Briskoda days have not been driven hard. (except How Fast)

The mk2 is technically better in nearly every way.

The mk1 looks better as a hatch, the mk2 looks better as an estate.

Mk2 lacks involvement, fun and doesn't feel quick because it's so refined.

But it is quicker, lighter, better balanced and running with a superior gearbox (in terms of speed and flexibility in quick driving)

But having said all that, I prefer the mk1. It has character and is fun. This is where the mk2 falls down.

It must be nearly three years on now and the mk2 has still not been tuned enough to compete with the heavily modified mk1 in a straight run with the quarter mile times not even close.

But then the engine is more stressed in stock form and the gearbox doesn't have a decent launch yet, while this is ideal mk1 conditions. Loads of grunt and ride the torque wave down the straight.

I look back on my time with a mk1 fondly.

I'd never feel the same about a mk2. It's a modern, smooth and capable form of transport.

PS

If someone could take the MK2 running gear and mount the MK1 body on it with a CR170 engine in it I'd buy it

Project Richard LOL

Too easy. ;)

I just bought a Yeti 170CR that gave me 4x4 too.

It has character, and isn't bad on the track either. :D

Plus it'll be able to tow the new project.

I think it's still the best at what it does.

A warmish readily modifiable (is that a word?) economical small hatchback.

Technically no better than the Spanish or German cousins but better looking than the Seat more common than the Polo and cheaper than both due to less kit.

• Like 1

I know. Was madness on their part. The 2 vrs estates that were made by techie and and ninja alex?? look absolutely stunning!

Absolutelydootley. Would have been so useful in my job too.

Anyway, all this positive talk about Mk1's. i'm going outside to tuck it up and read it a bedtime story from the Haynes manual. :)

• Like 2

I don't see how the need for small diesel super minis/hot/warm hatches has decreased. But I'm SURE in saying if skoda release the mark 2 with the cr170 or the like I would likely have one in my driveway. as would alot of the rest of us. There is still a massive area in the market for this. They've clearly missed it!

• Like 1

Having driven a mk2 vRS several hundred miles for the Prague trip, flat out on the autobahn, flying down some windy country roads, pottering about in town, and a bit of fun on an old air field.... basically a several day test drive across every type of road imaginable.

It's much faster than a mk1, it's years ahead in refinement, and is clearly a better car technically. DSG is great around town and on the motorway, yet at the flick of a switch, it's revving its nuts off and flicking through the gears.

However.....it just didn't excite me at all. I couldn't put my finger on exactly what it was lacking, but it just felt too clinical and not involved enough.

Even after owning mine for nearly 3 years, just driving to work still puts a smile on my face.

• Like 1

It was quite simply a great simple uncomplicated package that brought some simple and inexpensive fun back into motoring at a very reasonable price at the time (£10,700 iirc back in 2003?), and it still look great today too!

I've NEVER owned a car this long....coming up to 6 years now...., and that tells me that I'm obviously very content.

I LOVE my MK1 but technology moves on, and I am certainly not going to rule out the MK2........

Small capacity twin blowers seem to the future and certainly makes the already dated MK1 VRS PD130 unit look like a relic!

But there is just something that keeps me smiling so much in my MK1.... Maybe it's the 20-60 time in second gear and the look on people's faces when I leave them slightly behind in my little Skoda hehe!

It really is a brilliant car, and I intend to look after my late 2007 model and keep it standard as I know it will always have a healthy fan base and in my opinion a modern classic.

It really is a brilliant car, and I intend to look after my late 2007 model and keep it standard as I know it will always have a healthy fan base and in my opinion a modern classic.

I asked this very question a few months ago, and even though many were in disagreement with me, i truly and still believe that unmolested and well cared for examples are really going to be a much sort after classic of the future.

Time will tell.

I LOVE my MK1 but technology moves on, and I am certainly not going to rule out the MK2........

Small capacity twin blowers seem to the future and certainly makes the already dated MK1 VRS PD130 unit look like a relic!

Yes, but as I said earlier, modern up to date latest whiz bang technology is being linked with longevity and reliabilty less and less now.

The mk1 might sound like an old tractor to some,(sounds ok to me btw) but it's proven to be a damned good solid reliable and economical old horse. :)

I hope it will be a modern classic, only time will tell I guess.

My dream is to see a MK1 VRS on Wheeler Dealers on Discovery!

Lets see how Ed China does tackling the leaky rear doors, shoddy bushes and other common faults :-p

Long live the King MK1!!!

• Like 3

what car can cruise @60mph and return 75mpg no cruise control, (i managed to get 75mpg before hitting the m4) i know its not fast and will easily accelerate if and when needed. i'm well impressed, economy and performance, i've only changed panel filter to k+n one.

I'd love to see it in wheeler dealers! Lol no doubt mike would do something horrific to it! Lol silly wheels or the like!

I don't like this engine talk, the 1.9 PD is probably one of the greatest engines ever built!

• Like 1

I don't like this engine talk, the 1.9 PD is probably one of the greatest engines ever built!

Afraid I prefer the 2 litre common rail (Dad has the engine in an Audi TT and its lovely), but for its time when it was designed and put in to production, it was a great engine, and its still very tuneable and reliable, even when heavily tuned. 2 litre can suffer with DPF when tuned, and is a bit more complicated. This is why I am sticking with my PD130 as I know if and when it breaks, its fairly easy to rebuild / repair.

Afraid I prefer the 2 litre common rail (Dad has the engine in an Audi TT and its lovely), but for its time when it was designed and put in to production, it was a great engine, and its still very tuneable and reliable, even when heavily tuned. 2 litre can suffer with DPF when tuned, and is a bit more complicated. This is why I am sticking with my PD130 as I know if and when it breaks, its fairly easy to rebuild / repair.

Dad has the 2 litre in his octy, dpf and oil pump issues are too common on them. Dpf is easily removed tho. Also it has not been around long enough IMO, the 1.9 has proved itself! Lol