Is the Mk1 vRS still the 'king'?

Mr Ree

Guest BigJase88

That makes the mk2 superb value. It's much more advanced than the mk1.

I've never really been a fan of the mk2 hatchbacks looks though.

Thats why you buy the ibiza cupra if you want looks (well slightly better anyway)

Off the line I cant beat my mate, always a car length behind, in his bocanegra however with a rolling start he cant catch me at all. I have more fun teasing out the power, while he has easy to access speed and new technology.

At times I wish I had a more modern car but just love my little fabia lol

• Like 2

can't be arsed to read through the previous five pages but; was the vRS ever 'The King'? I thought that honour went to the 2.0 petrol :think:

'King' of what anyway? King of bang for buck, yeah, maybe. Try and find a decent unmolested one though these days.

• Like 1

I've had three of these, a black 04 and 2 SE's 

They don't handle when standard, they suffer with heat soak very quickly, standard brakes are poor and they suffer a list of ailments like any other car....BUT, 

Modifications are cheap, and mainly easy for a competent home mechanic, a (good) remap transforms the car, as do a set of 312's and KW coilovers.

They (in my opinion) look better from the outside than the MKII (when lowered), but the interior shows its age now.... although the SE leathers are nice.

The MKII is very colour dependent, and looks high and narrow in the wrong colour..... just like the Rapid (again, just my opinion)

drive the MK1 relatively fast, still get decent economy, push on in the MKII.... and you don't get good economy

which is best, depends on your priorities!  

• Like 1

I've had three of these, a black 04 and 2 SE's

They don't handle when standard, they suffer with heat soak very quickly, standard brakes are poor and they suffer a list of ailments like any other car....BUT,

Modifications are cheap, and mainly easy for a competent home mechanic, a (good) remap transforms the car, as do a set of 312's and KW coilovers.

They (in my opinion) look better from the outside than the MKII (when lowered), but the interior shows its age now.... although the SE leathers are nice.

The MKII is very colour dependent, and looks high and narrow in the wrong colour..... just like the Rapid (again, just my opinion)

drive the MK1 relatively fast, still get decent economy, push on in the MKII.... and you don't get good economy

which is best, depends on your priorities!

i don't understand how people say the standard brakes are no good, I've done two track days with my standard brakes and not once have they ever faded or anything, but I agree with you in everything else you say

Yer good point king of what :D

Off topic but just read your signature lee. got a lot of time for that, made me chuckle some of the stuff in it.

I got fed up of reading sigs with 'mine's got this power' and seats from a Bently GT and n what not :D

When you off to the IOW?

Yer kept mine short and sweet ;) .

4th to 7th of oct, nice long weekend with a couple of pints.

Back on topic. I rate my standard brakes too tom, only reason i bought 312s to go on is for looks over performance and i picked them up dirt cheap.

Yer kept mine short and sweet ;) .

4th to 7th of oct, nice long weekend with a couple of pints.

Back on topic. I rate my standard brakes too tom, only reason i bought 312s to go on is for looks over performance and i picked them up dirt cheap.

the only person I have found who rates them as well as me Joe, ill be doing the same as you if I get the 312's like mate, just purely for looks.

I've a set of vRS discs, calipers and carriers sat in the garage. I'd need new hubs to get them on mine but I'm going to try some 'superblue' fluid first; higher boiling point and less fade.

I've a set of vRS discs, calipers and carriers sat in the garage. I'd need new hubs to get them on mine but I'm going to try some 'superblue' fluid first; higher boiling point and less fade.

i just used the halfords racing dot 5.1 I think it was, looked at the reviews on it and the guys on the Clio sport forum couldn't recommend it enough, they reckon its the same formula as one of the top brands just with a halfords badge on, hasn't failed me yet either !

Pretty much all of it.

You stated that "all you have to do is remap that diesel engine and it goes from 130 bhp to 170-180 bhp" - so by this you imply that a standard Fabia vrs can have nothing else done it apart from giving the ecu a tickle and suddenly, boom, racing machine.

You then go on to say that our purely remapped weapon is now faster than it's successor and apparently more reliable. Here's one for you to chew on.

My MK1 Fabia vrs is remapped. It also has FMIC, full decatted Miltek Exhaust and a PD160 intake so is therefore untouchable. It might, just might be able to keep up with a 2.0L Fabia and prevent one from "Taking me like a King".

Anyways, I digress, I gave it the beans once, with the man who likes to ride dangerous sea creatures following behind in his disappointingly slow MK2. To my complete and utter surprise, I didn't leave him eating my dust. All that happened was he kept tight behind me and was rewarded by my awesomely reliable MK1 blowing out it's coolant temperature sensor and showering the front of his car with sticky cooling juice.

So there. Fact.

lol... me following Haydn... and the now imfamous blow up ;)

• Like 1

Pretty much all of it.

You stated that "all you have to do is remap that diesel engine and it goes from 130 bhp to 170-180 bhp" - so by this you imply that a standard Fabia vrs can have nothing else done it apart from giving the ecu a tickle and suddenly, boom, racing machine.

You then go on to say that our purely remapped weapon is now faster than it's successor and apparently more reliable. Here's one for you to chew on.

My MK1 Fabia vrs is remapped. It also has FMIC, full decatted Miltek Exhaust and a PD160 intake so is therefore untouchable. It might, just might be able to keep up with a 2.0L Fabia and prevent one from "Taking me like a King".

Anyways, I digress, I gave it the beans once, with the man who likes to ride dangerous sea creatures following behind in his disappointingly slow MK2. To my complete and utter surprise, I didn't leave him eating my dust. All that happened was he kept tight behind me and was rewarded by my awesomely reliable MK1 blowing out it's coolant temperature sensor and showering the front of his car with sticky cooling juice.

So there. Fact.

well my remapped fabia beat a Ferrari 458 so it must be 'the king' 'giggle'
  • Like 1

As a previous mk1 lover there are times when its easy to forget the soot chucker, drive down a dartmoor b road with high fences with the windows open, the whine of the charger coupled with the blow off and the odd tiny pop on over run and goosebumps are a hazard

roll into a roundabout playing up, press in the button and drop into 'S' lose 3 gears instantly, kiss the apex and foot hard down, feel the diff working through the pedal, grip and then accelerate away

Some wally decides to play up next to you, none of their chucking gerars around.......three blips on left paddle and away holding the right paddle after you gone to highlight you smashed them in 'D'

I love mine ....can you tell currently rolling in this as mines in for the oil breather fix lol

20130819_180352_zps50523b64.jpg

• Like 1