Adam's Fabia vRS Mk1 - 2.0 litre GTB powered

Southy

Well today I made progress on the car, after collecting all my parts for most of this year I finally managed to find some time, and space in the workshop so this afternoon I set about pulling the gearbox out to fit the Single Mass Flywheel and also the LSD. Whilst I was taking the gearbox to pieces I have decided to strengthen up the selector forks by drilling the rivets out and replacing them with M8 bolts which are welded in place, so hopefully I should never have any issues with a failed selector fork.

The new SMF, with Sachs Organic clutch and Cover plate in it's new home.
20141224_191414_zps0txmle7q.jpg

This looks fairly clean inside considering it's on 90k now

20141224_173750_zpsyxe7jtpa.jpg

Pulled to piece's, lets hope I know how it goes back together again......

20141224_182053_zpshhjg5dvh.jpg

Few pic's of the selector forks being attacked to help strengthen them. 1st/2nd is the weak spot with it being only held in place with roll pins.

09ea7cec-2806-47b3-b1d2-c35a9a5bb214_zps

e00ca37c-65f4-48ff-8227-2f9810c03191_zps

20141224_202800_zpskzndaokk.jpg

20141224_205451_zpsrjo3lee3.jpg

20141224_205718_zpsgd6zdrrv.jpg

Made a start on drilling out the rivets for the diff too, battery on drilled died and was getting lateish so called it a night till I begin again on boxing day.

20141224_211932_zpsu1lmeaeu.jpg

Will be trying to crack on with fitting the turbo over the next few days or next week. Will see how long refitting the box/diff takes, if it's not too long I may fit it all on boxing day.

• Like 3

Cheers Charlie, it's nice to see it starting to go places myself. Still a lot of work to crack on with but will be up at the workshop first thing on boxing day morning.

• Like 1

Had a busy day once again working on the car, only managed to take a hand full of pics.

Found out the blow torch I intended to use to remove the bearing races for the diff was as much use as a chocolate fire guard so had to improvise.....so I sat the casings infront of a space heater for 10mins or so.

Gentle tap on a lump of wood and the races dropped out nice and easy.

20141226_114317_zpstshlxmxy.jpg

Whilst casings was heating up I pressed the ARP studs into the diff.

20141226_125115_zps6kjwiuat.jpg

The space heater was used once again to heat up the crownwheel and also the diff bearings so they could be fitted.

20141226_125258_zpsgcn24n52.jpg

All torqued up ready and waiting for the bearings.

20141226_131116_zpswno4rg5g.jpg

All the gearset dropped back into the casing with the new diff fitted.

20141226_150033_zpsdz7bvtvs.jpg

All built back up and ready to fit.

20141226_154311_zpscielhzeb.jpg

We then refitted the gearbox, had pretty much fitted and tightened everything up, just needed to refit the battery tray qnd battery, but we decided to leave that to allow room to bleed the clutch.

Connected the ezibleed up and a few minutes later there was a pool of brake fluid under the box and dripping out near the flywheel.

Pulled the box again in record time of less than an hour and removed the new release bearing and connected it back up again to find out fluid was ****ing past the seal on the centre, and thats how it was left. Going to see if TPS is open tomorrow and collect a new one as I'm desperate to get the car back on the road again.

It is a pleasure to be readig your peoject thread! Keep uo the good work.

Annoying with the seal but perhaps a blessing in disguise that it leaked before you put everything back together. Would be unpleasant if ir happened on the road! Maybe a good idea to replace all the other seals as well while you are at it?

• 2 weeks later...

It was a new item which was faulty so nothing I could do. Got myself a replacement for it though after Darkside Developments refunded me and sent me my 4 bar map sensor free of charge for the inconvience caused.

Well this weekend things took a step forward.....

managed to get the turbo fitted!!

20150110_152335_zpspbma2sbi.jpg

20150110_152321_zpsnahwkzef.jpg

20150110_180643_zpsmoeqddyg.jpg

20150110_173808_zpsczw8inaj.jpg

Had to cut down an allen key to tighten the last inlet manifold bolt, other than that the manifold fits beautifully

20150110_204007_zpsnmkstpmg.jpg

I had intended to also fit my FMIC at the same time, but I was running out of time, so I bodged the old pipework to fit onto the turbo haha.

20150110_232327_zpsxrg8rcil.jpg

20150110_232316_zpsj8r74yvi.jpg

Plan is to fit the FMIC on wednesday evening at my mates unit, need to find someone local to me to swtup the stop screw and adjust the actuator correctly as my pal no longer has VCDS haha.

• Like 1

Haha you did indeed, tbh if I didn't have loads of jobs to do in the morning on saturday, and actually started it at 8 like I wanted too, I would of had it done.

Hopefully heading over to Liverpool on saturday morning to see John at Hidden Power for a base map so I can check everything over before tweaking the map further down the line.

• Like 2

Looking really good this! Will be cool to see it at the rolling road day in Feb. Fairly sure I came across a picture of the turbo and manifold on instagram - just made the link of who's it was on here haha

I didn't realise just how much larger than standard they are till I sat them on the bench side by side, my mate had a fit when he saw them

• Like 1

Just read this from start to finish. AMAZING!

Really impressive all the bits you've done mate. A lot of time and dedication has gone into it.

Car looks fantastic, everything looks awesome. Good work.

I look forward to the next update :)

• Like 1

Just read this from start to finish. AMAZING!

Really impressive all the bits you've done mate. A lot of time and dedication has gone into it.

Car looks fantastic, everything looks awesome. Good work.

I look forward to the next update :)

Thanks very much for the kind words, I try and work to a budget hence why I make whatever parts I can but I still try and produce them to a high quality. 

You and me both look forward to the next update haha

For the risk of sounding like a broken record I love that Manifold! Could the chaps who made your one be persuaded to cook up something equally delightful for the twincharger brotherhood?

I still say it is now haha.

Pass on that one, the lads at Darkside Developments are the ones you need to ask, they mainly deal with diesel tuning but perhaps would do a one off fabrication for a manifold.

Looking good :)

I bet Darkside would fit a normal bolt instead of the Allen headed one in that awkward end ;)

Be good to see how yours and Alex's compare on the rollers,same turbo and mapper,just different manifold.

I imagine they would of done to make life easier. It's possible to fit the standard one just a bit fiddly.

Well intercooler was fitted last night, I've used my old THS cooler off my crashed car, considering the state the front end was left in, the cooler is in mint condition really shows the quality of the cooler. All I had to do was straigthen it slightly due to being twisted on the corr. Just used a manual press for that.

20150114_203951_zpsddittokj.jpg

20150114_221257_zpskfgtft42.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Small update, made my way over to Liverpool today to meet John (Faboka vrs) at Hidden tuning, he has spent a majority of the day helping me by carrying out logs to allow me to setup my turbo actuator and stop screw, before working his magic on mapping the car.

Unfortunately, due to having a suspected faulty 4 bar map sensor that wouldn't read, we wasn't able to wind the boost upto 2.5bar, therefore the car is ONLY running 1.9bar right now with the original map sensor but, wow the car feels and drives completely different, pulls all the way upto the redline, yet the car will still happily trundle along at less than 30mph in 4th no problems.

The plan is to sort out a new 4 bar map sensor and go back at a later date to finish the mapping ready for the RR day at the end of Feb.

On another note, I think the intercooler that was from my crashed red car maybe leaking as I have a boost leak, after after checking all the pipework all I can think is that the scrape across the bottom of the core where the car was dragged onto the recovery wagon must of damaged it enough to cause a leak, so I need to find a way to test the core itself.

Edited by Southy
  • Like 1

My plan was to try and apply some pressure inside the core and then spray the cooler to see if any bubbles appear over it.

May look at that spray you linked maybe worth a try.

I heard about your drive out Kev having a lil fun with a Lambo ;-)

Tis a shame about the sensor but not the end of the world.

The actuator needed around 2 turns to shorten it and the stop screw needed winding out.

My boost gauge has finally turned up after what seems like forever since I ordered it.

I'm currently off work today due to snow so I'm tempted to go out and fit it as I'm bored of watching daytime tv haha.

20150129_104542_zpsbfqq9oew.jpg

20150129_104651_zpsncaazryv.jpg

20150129_105715_zpsp5ojq1i3.jpg

Edited by Southy