Largest walled tyres on a vRS

Ok, so this is a serious question and slightly different to the winter tyres posts that are already on here.

Due to my other half's driving 'skills' she's wanting some "off road type tyres" for the car. I kid you not :-) Actually, the way she words it is that the tyres we have aren't big enough for all the kerbs.

What's the largest tyre wall size/wheel combination I can have on my vrs? I really don't mind if the wheels are 14" and the tyres are 65 sidewalls or similar but don't want it like a wobbly jelly. I was thinking to just match the Scout but I know it doesn't have particularly off road tyres anyway so all this may be pie in the sky.

I understand that the total wheel/tyre diameter should remain the same and I have to check with my insurance company should I change the wheels. Is there anything else I should know? If not possible, I'll have some reasons from you guys as to why it isn't possible.

I believe you need at least 15's to clear the brakes and so I'd go for these with 195/55 tyres.

So if you get the 15" steel wheels from Skoda she can't do much damage to these.

• Like 1

15" steels are what I have my winters on and they only just fit over the brake calipers so really doubt you will get anything smaller to fit.

I do find that with narrower tyres the car is more prone to wheel spin when the roads are anything but totally dry, although I do have a stage 1 remap as well!

If you change the overall diameter too much then it will throw out the speedo and odo calibration.

• Like 1

195/60/15 is the biggest you can go with a guarantee of no scraping.

I bought 195/65 profile tyres by mistake instead of 60 and theres a tiny bit of scrapeage when they were first fitted but its gone now. You hear the odd scrape when turning a very tight right hand turn (full lock only)

I think its because the tyres are too tall, and wide.

If you were to get something like 175/70 they might work out as the tyres are thinner so probably wont scrape as much.

So, to be safe 190/60/15 or simmilar ( 175/70/15 or 185/65/15)

pics of my 195/65/15 wheels. Bit too big but I guess if you had 5mm spacers it might be ok as the inside of the tyres wont rub on the plastic wheel liner when turning on ful lock

2011-08-23171920-1.jpg

IMG_20120505_182223.jpg

• Like 1

My wife has trashed the nearside front on our Fabia, I am considering some new tyres with a kerb guard on them, it is a ring of rubber that sits proud of the alloy and is supposed to hit the kerb and not the rim!

Don't know how good they are?

195/55/15 tyres are an almost exact match to the rolling radius of the 205/40/17 OE fitment.

Personally I wouldn't go for anything else.

Thanks all! Very informative and I'm going to get four 6Jx15s with 195/60/15 tyres.

Next question: does anyone know somewhere that can beat the following prices?

4 wheels from skodaparts.com @ £178. £153 if I can pick them up and save the postage.

4 tyres from black circles @ £240 fitted!

I live in Dorset so maybe someone knows a place that will do a deal on the wheels and tyres together???

Apmaman, how does the car drive on those tyres?

Drives great.

Rides a lot quieter and less crashy over the low profile tyres. It's not as "pointy" as it was in the bends but you dont notice that in the towns/cities.

Although this winter has been mild, and as they're winter tyres I've noticed I can spin the wheels without even trying but I guess thats just down to winter tyres being used in 10/11°c instead of the cold.

4 wheels from skodaparts.com @ £178. £153 if I can pick them up and save the postage.

If you can wait for at least 2 weeks, I could sell you the factory steelies that are currently on my car, complete with scratch-free skoda plastic wheel trims, shod with Bridgestone ER300 Turanzas in the correct 195/55/15 size. Tyres are worn half-way (no uneven wear whatsoever), but they'll be a tiny fraction of the cost of new ones. Could send you photos once they're off the car, if you like.

If interested, give us a shout.

(apologies if I'm breaking any forum rules, feel free to remove this post if necessary)

Thanks all! Very informative and I'm going to get four 6Jx15s with 195/60/15 tyres.

I live in Dorset so maybe someone knows a place that will do a deal on the wheels and tyres together???

Apmaman, how does the car drive on those tyres?

195/60 tyres are beyond the recommended 2.5% difference from standard.This may not matter much,but your speedo will be out,of course.

Fab59. I'll send you a private mail as that sounds like a plan to me.

XK140. That would make sense also. I notice on the vehicle settings that there is a winter tyres option (or similar.) Can't quite remember and I'm not going downstairs to check now :-) but is this what it's for? In case the wheels/tyres are slightly different diameter?

P.s. I know I should read the owner's manual :-)

If you can wait for at least 2 weeks, I could sell you the factory steelies that are currently on my car, complete with scratch-free skoda plastic wheel trims, shod with Bridgestone ER300 Turanzas in the correct 195/55/15 size. Tyres are worn half-way (no uneven wear whatsoever), but they'll be a tiny fraction of the cost of new ones. Could send you photos once they're off the car, if you like.

If interested, give us a shout.

(apologies if I'm breaking any forum rules, feel free to remove this post if necessary)

Pay your £12, join Freedom and then sell things to your hearts content.

Fab59. I'll send you a private mail as that sounds like a plan to me.

XK140. That would make sense also. I notice on the vehicle settings that there is a winter tyres option (or similar.) Can't quite remember and I'm not going downstairs to check now :-) but is this what it's for? In case the wheels/tyres are slightly different diameter?

P.s. I know I should read the owner's manual :-)

Not quite sure what you're referring to in the manual,but, if you go for winter tyres, the skoda recommendation is 195/55/15 on their 15" steel rims.

Pay your £12, join Freedom and then sell things to your hearts content.

I only took the liberty of making that offer because the original poster wanted an alternative to some expensive parts. It would hardly be any different if this were posted in the "Wanted" section of this forum, and that section is open to all members, as far as I know.