Yellow Peril

Gratuitous wheel shot.  Brakes look a bit small. :giggle:

0zeh.jpg

Ok - that does show clearly just how bloody big those wheels are compared to the standard 15s :giggle: - the callipers "fill" the alloys very snugly on mine!

Surprised you had to take the front wheel off the bike, I've heard tales of people being able to get the bike in without, maybe it's a bit of tetris skill required to do it.

• Like 1

I know where you're coming from there, do things "the way you know" automatically - I recently discovered I'd been driving about 3 miles further than I really needed to when going to the Morrison's closest to where I work :doh:

Just a thought re the windows, are they the same as the mk1 Octy?

ie, use the key in the door and to lower the windows unlock the car and hold the key in the unlock position and the windows will lower, likewise to raise, lock the car and hold the key in the lock position and the windows will raise.

Mike, on Adams Rapid non of the comfort features for the windows were activated, so I activated the lot of them… but nothing happened, no DTC were thrown up either.

We did not try the key in the door however (do people still do that?  :giggle:  )

I know what you mean " key in the door!! "

Just that Lynsey's mk 1 Octy won't do the windows off the remote, but will with the key in the door.

Not forcing you to like it, but around town (i.e. when the armrest isn't quite as necessary), I either fold it up, or otherwise, I just grab the handbrake via the left hand side of the armrest, it really isn't that bad at all in my unhumble opinion. The gears are also quite nice to operate actually when the armrest is down. As I say, just my opinion...

Tried the armrest folded up and it's fine.  Provided I don't use the handbrake where I bash my elbow on it.

Because my legs are long I do have the seat quite a way back or I have no thigh support at all with my knees up in the air.

Got used to using the gear with it folded down and as you say, fine.  Still tricky to reach the handbrake though. :D

Have not tried reaching round it yet as both are centrally located and the rest is much thicker.

One thing is for sure, the armrest completely lacks the usability of the Yeti one which is out of the way all the time and can be adjusted to be useful when you need it.

But I put this down to Skoda engineering it to fit into an existing hole in the centre console which is too far forward in my opinion, plus as it's not very deep the pivot is high.

New feature found too, unlike every current model Skoda I've had the Rapid can be started without your foot on the clutch.

So you can start it in gear...

My Fabia mkII and Yeti both requite the clutch pressed, failsafe to stop you crashing if the last person left it in gear and you don't notice.

I assumed this was standard now, my son of four had a short sprint down the driveway in a yellow car with 18" wheels...

Have you tried key in the door to open windows yet?

Yes.

It lacks that feature of the mkI Octavia.

A way to open the windows without turning the ignition on and holding down the buttons.

New feature found too, unlike every current model Skoda I've had the Rapid can be started without your foot on the clutch.

So you can start it in gear...

My Fabia mkII and Yeti both requite the clutch pressed, failsafe to stop you crashing if the last person left it in gear and you don't notice.

I assumed this was standard now, my son of four had a short sprint down the driveway in a yellow car with 18" wheels...

My Dad's old Peugeot 307 had an individual armrest on each front seat (nice cars overall, if not the best build quality).

Anyhoo, I literally just noticed this a few hours ago - I used to start the Felicia with the clutch depressed every time anyway. I think this is because before I started driving, I rode motorcyles for a year or two, where you had to depress the clutch handle before the motorcycle would start, so I think it's habitual.

Somebody also told my Dad that it was healthier for the engine if one depressed the clutch before starting the engine, so it's almost habitual anyway to me.

Anyway, I learned that in more modern cars that either the brake pedal or the clutch pedal had to be pressed in modern cars before they could actually be started, but I learned this not to be the case in the Rapid just a few hours ago - why? probably because that feature would've cost too much. :giggle:

Somebody also told my Dad that it was healthier for the engine if one depressed the clutch before starting the engine, so it's almost habitual anyway to me.

Aye, my Dad told me it's that when the clutch is depressed while starting the engine the starter motor has less work to do (the driveshaft not being engaged, which even with no gear engaged will still use more energy to turn it).

The only car I've driven where I've been aware this was a necessity was my driving instructor's Mini Cooper D. I've driven (briefly) a current Ford Fiesta, Vuaxhfail Corsa and Alfa Mitos as well, it may be required with those too but since my dad shouted at me for starting my old Fabia without the clutch in it's kind of automatic now :D

Oh, I think it's supposed to be where that gap is on the right!

It was supposed to be in the gap.  When it was at the dealer for the flashing glow plug issue they had a look and found that the switch had fallen down the back.  It has been put back where it should be.

Musings after my first 100 miles and weekend with the Rapid Elegance.

Likes.

Styling (have to say I like it, until loads of new face Skodas are on the road and make it look common)

Interior Space

Boot space

Sport seats

Ride quality

Dislikes.

Lack of decent options like auto lights/wipers, front sensors

Arm rest

All spec carried over from (soon to be) old model cheaper Fabia, so a bit basic and outdated

No handy extras (that cost peanuts to add) like lowering wondows from the key or auto up on driver's window.  I'd much rather thave those than an ice scraper.

My basic view of the car currently is overall a good/practical car with more space than I expected, which is let down by penny pinching spec copied over from a cheaper/older car and lacking small handy extras that are just coding extras or cost pennies.

It's clearly been designed to fit a slot as a cheap family size car and not step on the toes of the better models.

I'm not particularly fussed about auto lights/wipers and things like that personally, but the lack of things which surely must have been free for them to implement like auto windows (and especially one-touch up for drivers window) is definitely irksome.

• Like 1

How are you finding the engine in the Rapid compared to the Yeti? I stretched the legs in mine a bit this morning along a couple of the dual carriageways leading to the motorway, put a smile on my face (mainly because it's not so long ago to remember how much slower my Fabia was on the same road!) :)

To be honest I have specifically avoided mentioning the performance of the Rapid, because while it seems fine for the car my perception of performance is possibly a bit screwed up.

My Yeti is mapped to 200bhp, with the extra low down grunt a diesel produces.

It's fairly quick for a 2.0 diesel 4x4 and feels faster than it is due to the way the performance is delivered.

Not to mention my GT-R which runs around 600bhp, which I've kind of got used to and doesn't thrill me like it used to.

The Rapid is smooth and pulls fine, it seems very suited to the car.

I certainly have no complaints, but I won't be opening it up until it's got more miles on it.

One thing worth mentioning is the the front end feels nice and light.

Due to the light engine and the overall whole car having a kerbweight of 1,100kg it does handle well and the front is very keen to turn in.

In has a nice feeling to it, nice and nimble.

• Like 4

Yeah, I was more thinking as a comparison to your SWMBO's 1.2 Yeti, but it's a fair point about your 'perception' of performance :D

To me, mine feels bloody quick, but I've so far managed to avoid describing it as such to anyone - because I know full well that in reality it's not a quick car. Probably the closest car I've driven to this in terms of performance was the Alfa Mito I test drove a few years ago, that was a hoot to drive - no body roll whatsoever, but then the boot was only just big enough for a sausage roll and a loaf of bread :(

Yeah, I was more thinking as a comparison to your SWMBO's 1.2 Yeti, but it's a fair point about your 'perception' of performance. :D

I only drive that to it's service and on holiday.

It's slow by comparison, being hampered by 1,300-odd kg and the shape over 50mph.

The Rapid with the same engine certainly picks up speed better over 50mpg, although I'm sure the 1.2tsi Yeti does less RPM in top gear at 70mph due to it having the 7 speed DSG box.

With six manual gears my Rapid is doing 2,400prm at an indicated 72mph.

I thought it would be 2,200 or so, but I guess it needs to be spinning fast enough to maintain performance so you don't have to change down for hills.

PS. If she was my SWMBO I wouldn't have two yellow cars. :D

The first she knew about the Rapid was about 5pm on Friday...

• Like 4

More like "shock enough times and it's accepted as normal behaviour". :rofl:

I did pre-warn her about the tank though...

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  This absolutely cracks me up. I think I'd be divorced 12 times over by now