Yellow Peril

The 1.2 engine is a delight to drive and only a few times did I need to stir the gear stick to provide just a little more go!

Had to use a bit of go juice a few times on the way home to get safely past some dawdlers, didn't need to take it out of sixth, very capable engine indeed.

Did a 60mph drove other than the overtaking to save a bit more fuel and now should have enough left in the tank to get me to/from work all next week. Winner.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

If they breed can I have the first orange Yeti offspring? :giggle:

boss.... maybe paint the citigo orange so its the offspring to them?

looks beautiful btw

maybe someone on here can explain..... how come the 1.2 105 engine that's in mine does 18mpg less than the one in the rapid? I found this out when I had one for 2 days :(

maybe someone on here can explain..... how come the 1.2 105 engine that's in mine does 18mpg less than the one in the rapid? I found this out when I had one for 2 days :(

It might be because we are pottering about... ;)

I only potter about in mine when going to work and back? But does a 6th gear and cruise control make that much differance?

I'm not sure about Thecko in his SE with the 5 speed, but in 6th the Elegance is doing 2,200rpm at around 70mph (indicated 73mph).

I'm not sure it makes a huge difference, but I could easily drop my mpg 10 or so with more town work.

It's done 1300 miles now already, at least 80% of it has been between 60mph and 70mph.

From a current real figure of 48mpg I think it'll loosen up a bit over time and improve slightly with age.

Was the one you had brand new?

That wouldn't have helped either.

It was a dealer demonstrator which i think they have had from new but it had 2500miles on it? And mine has 15000 so maybe thats why?

You mean you got 18mpg better when you had a Rapid for two days?

It does seem the Rapid is giving us better returns than Fabias and Yetis with the same engine, aerodynamics could play a part in that but I wouldn't expect it to be as significant as 18 mpg difference :o

BossFox, mine's a 6 speed as well so I'm running the same rpm as you at 70.

To be fair I do drive mine quite leisurely, did mostly 70 on the way down from Runcorn though and still got 56 mpg according to the computer which surprised mdk1 one a bit ("How do you do that ?!" :giggle: )

You can see a gradual improvement in mpg on my fuelly profile as I've run the engine in (ignore the big spike at 59, that was two long steady drives at 60/50 behind lorries and horse boxes along A roads!) - I'm over 4k miles already.

• Like 1

Yeah 18mpg better in the rapid. Wish i had it for an extra 2 days for my trip to london... although the 250mile round trip i did 52mpg there and 42mpg on the way back..... oops :P

• Like 1

although the 250mile round trip i did 52mpg there and 42mpg on the way back..... oops :p

Were you making "vroom vroom!" noises in your head as you put your foot down? :)

I blame the ferarri ff in front of me :P trying to get him to boot it :P haha

Come to the conclusion.... to get a better mpg from my car i need a remap :P

• Like 1

That Rapid looks really good, I'm planning on 18s too on my white one. 

I've noticed SuperSkoda have a bodykit now, but TBH I don't think it needs it. 

I'm beginning to think the 17s are only just big enough.. hopefully they will do a Sport one with 18s in the future.

I only potter about in mine when going to work and back? But does a 6th gear and cruise control make that much differance?

I'm not sure about Thecko in his SE with the 5 speed, but in 6th the Elegance is doing 2,200rpm at around 70mph (indicated 73mph).

I'm not sure it makes a huge difference, but I could easily drop my mpg 10 or so with more town work.

It's done 1300 miles now already, at least 80% of it has been between 60mph and 70mph.

From a current real figure of 48mpg I think it'll loosen up a bit over time and improve slightly with age.

Was the one you had brand new?

That wouldn't have helped either.

You mean you got 18mpg better when you had a Rapid for two days?

It does seem the Rapid is giving us better returns than Fabias and Yetis with the same engine, aerodynamics could play a part in that but I wouldn't expect it to be as significant as 18 mpg difference :o

BossFox, mine's a 6 speed as well so I'm running the same rpm as you at 70.

To be fair I do drive mine quite leisurely, did mostly 70 on the way down from Runcorn though and still got 56 mpg according to the computer which surprised mdk1 one a bit ("How do you do that ?!" :giggle: )

You can see a gradual improvement in mpg on my fuelly profile as I've run the engine in (ignore the big spike at 59, that was two long steady drives at 60/50 behind lorries and horse boxes along A roads!) - I'm over 4k miles already.

My new commute to work as of Friday last week suddenly involves about a 15-mile stretch down the A1. My average fuel consumption has done nothing since but go down from about 55MPG to 50MPG and the average MPG just for that journey may or may not scrape 50MPG or less.

Now on the motorway, which is a pretty flat stretch, I usually set the cruise control at exactly 70 and the consumption is nothing special really. I have the 5-speed box, but now regret it marginally as the motorway and good A-roads is exactly what that 6th gear is for. Nonetheless, it is still pretty good economy but the official Skoda figures I find to be somewhat misleading and not achievable long term.

In comparison, the commute to my previous workplace, I could achieve 60MPG without too much effort which involves... hmm... a fairly straight A-road rural with a set of temporary traffic lights, and an urban 30mph section  of about 3/4miles involving seven roundabouts.

Anyhow, I'm now self-employed for a courier so I'll be driving a hire van from home to work and back instead which kind of makes the Rapid a little redundant, but at least I'm not racking up the mileage on her.

The difference between 60 and 70 is very large as far as economy goes. Personally I'd say if you're getting 50 or above when doing 70 on the cruise control then you're doing well.  Secret to my trip to Gaydon, the first 30 miles or so I stuck to 60 on the motorways before getting up to 70 when my patience snapped :giggle:

I did 60 all the way back though as I didn't need to rush back for anything, and the computer read 65 mpg when I parked up at home!

I'm beginning to think the 17s are only just big enough.. hopefully they will do a Sport one with 18s in the future.

Have to say, my Rapid on 18" rims and 35 section tyres still rides better than my Fabia did on 17" rims.

I was expecting it to be compromised, but it's just not.

Have to say, my Rapid on 18" rims and 35 section tyres still rides better than my Fabia did on 17" rims.

I was expecting it to be compromised, but it's just not.

Why did I think you were on 17" rims? I'm going senile and I've not even hit 35 yet!

I'm finding the ride on my stock 15's to be fine, sometimes I'll think it seems a bit squirrelly or crashy, but then I'll go to the shops at lunch in a colleague's car like a Passat or some other larger allegedly more comfortable car and find the exact same bumps and co to be just as noticeable, I think basically the North West has had its entire road maintenance budget redirected to George Osbourne's Cigar and Rum kitty  :S

One place where I can say with 100% certainty that there's a huge improvement over my Fabia is over level crossings - went over one just outside Craven Arms which I've made journeys across in various cars since I was kid, and the only car I can remember being in that handled the thing any better was an old 2 ton Volvo Saloon my Dad used to have (I miss that thing, mega comfortable!)

Definitely 18" rims, I couldn't get that style in 17" :D

I guess the low weight of the 1.2tsi Rapid at 1100kg helps too as it's on such low profile tyres to compensate for the rim size.

No, no. You guys can't be right. The gods at Whatcar say "On the road, the fussy ride veers, depending on speed and road surface, between annoying and appalling"

WhatCar are just upset that Skoda didn't literally make it a 'mini Octavia' with multi link rear suspension and all the trimmings. When they did their pre-launch review they said something along the lines of "it has an unsophisticated torsion beam rear suspension, which is likely to result in a fidgety ride" - basically, their editorial team decided in advance what their view on the handling was going to be.

The plonker who said he had to drop it in to 1st gear to keep it going up hills must weigh about 25 stone.

• 2 weeks later...

I reckon it may just fit in a CityGo.

But it's irrelevant.... BossFox would never attempt to shoehorn an oversize engine in to a smaller car :think:

Edited by sdenny

I reckon it may just fit in a CityGo.

But it's irrelevant.... BossFox would never attempt to shoehorn an oversize engine in to a smaller car :think:

Which is why the middle of a Roomster would be the more logical choice