Does anyone make a quick shifter for the vRS?

Hi Martin

I have just sat on etca for the past 3/4 of an hour and managed to come up with the impossible.

The gear selector for the Octavia is the same part number for the Fabia.

So I have battled to come up with a reason that it would not fit the Fabia if it fits the Octavia on the genuine part number?

Blimey that had my head spinning.

The same part number also fits the Seat`s Mmm

Hi Martin

I have just sat on etca for the past 3/4 of an hour and managed to come up with the impossible.

So I have battled to come up with a reason that it would not fit the Fabia if it fits the Octavia on the genuine part number?

I assume this is because in other country's they dont have the fabia/ibiza/polo platform, correct me if I'm wrong. I get this impression because people like Neuspeed, ECS tuning don't list anything for these cars.

The Dieselgeek website has a good photo identification section to see if your selector arm can be replaced with a short shifter.

I dont have the URL to hand but you should be able to find something through Google.

There was a group buy on UKMKIV's but it had to be cancelled because there was so much confussion over which part went with which car.

Basically speaking, on the 1.8T there are 2 types of linkage. Early ones (black in colour) cannot be replaced but the other (grey in colour) can be replaced. However, there are several versions of this with different cable connections.

How about the TT one? Some have fitted this to the 1.8T as a "halfway house" between stock and "race". However I'm not sure if this fits the Furby (does not fit Octy 4x4)

Would certainly be nice if there was a "short shift" solution for the Furby. I'd definitely put my name down, especially if it was around the

Hi Martin

:rofl: ...This guy/gal is a like a robot.... 'Blimey that had my head spinning'...with no emotional expression whatsoever :rofl:

It's great there is a supplier on the site though, It's f***ing cool actually :thumbup:

Robot.. :rofl:

I'd like a short shift too - but only after it's been proved workable by an actual installation - anyone?

Hmm - so you're basically saying the B&M quick shifter for the Octy might fit the Fab vRS? (and thanks for spending so much time on it!)

Martin

Yup thats what I am saying.

It should all fit.

So would be good if a brave person was willing to call down and have a go.

Would be good to find out.

:rofl: ...This guy/gal is a like a robot.... 'Blimey that had my head spinning'...with no emotional expression whatsoever :rofl:

It's great there is a supplier on the site though' date=' It's f***ing cool actually :thumbup:

Robot.. :rofl:[/quote']

Your ok as the gal goes home and drinks lots of wine to counteract the spinning.

But it is good when we can find out things like this.

Get a buz.

Same with the clutches we found!

Yup thats what I am saying.

It should all fit.

So would be good if a brave person was willing to call down and have a go.

Would be good to find out.

I'm happy to trial one as a guinea pig. A free short shifter sounds just the ticket! :rofl:

How much are they fitted btw?

Must say I'm tempted... The price is a little high for me at the moment though... If it was half the price I'd be booked in already!

Whats involved in fitting then? TT one for peanuts sounds like the ticket...

Fitting is fairly simple (I'm told) You unscrew the old one, remove the cable and pull from the shaft. Fitting is the reverse of removal (obviously). Older cars car be a bitch to remove because the thread tends to get corroded due to its vertical and rather moisture-friendly position

Hi

Yes the part is pretty expensive.

If I knew how to work flamin compuers I would copy a pic of these.

But you dont get an ugly thing like that above.

You get the whole of the gearshift.

Which includes the knob!

All shiny bling! :cool:

The technican told me that the exhaust has to come off.

So not that easy.

Seeing as im completely thick and a caraphobe, can someone please tell me what a short shift is?!

Since no one else appears to have responded...

A short shift gearchange means that the movement in the front-to-back direction is reduced - makes gear changing quicker and more precise though the effort to change potentially increases - however the latter is presently pretty low so a shorter shift shouldn't be a problem