My car has started hum

Hi again every one

I think this may have been answered before. But I have noticed over the last few days my car has a hum think from the rear at 30mph it sounds like something rubbing but can't see anything. The hum gets louder the faster I go but odd thing is cant hear it If the widows are open.

Is this a wheel bearing on the rear

And is it expensive plus can I still drive the car as I have a very buys month ahead

Hope you can help

Jack it up and turn the wheel by hand. Also check for play in the bearing.

If it is seizing the wheel will be harder to turn and will slow down very quickly if given a fast spin and released.

If it is collapsing you will feel play in the wheel.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I had the hum, even bought a new bearing hub to fit but changed the wheel and hum gone. It was the tyre, a Dunlop sport with a pirrelli on the same axle , fitted another pirrelli and hum gone.

I have a two different tyres on the back one is more worn than the other think one is a continental the other is a michterlin could this be the reason for the hum

Do a search on here for examples.

If your rear camber is out your rear tyres will wear faster and sawtooth on the inner edges. Get down and have a look at the inner edges of the rear tyres - are they rough to the touch and wearing faster than the rest of the tyre?

If so, it is the tyres causing the droning, not the bearing. You can swap them to the front as a temporary fix, but you need a 4 wheel geometry check doing to stop it happening to the rears again.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I've changed the front tyres they are the same make and still the hum a bit quite but not much

So is it the tracking as the out side edge of the rear passenger tyre had uneven wear.

Or is it the bearing on the same side.

Or is it worth having the tracking done first to see if that fixes the hum if its still there bearings

Plus when I jacked the car up the rear wheels spin free and there's no play at all in the wheels

Edited by VRSboy06

In my experience the tracking issue is more pronounced on Octavias with sports suspension such as the VRS. Also, I've had problems with Bridgestone tyres that tend to be offloaded by the manufacturers onto new cars. I had a Mazda 6 with the problem and it was the tyres not the bearings and the same on two previous Octavias and also on my present octy and I can't wait to get rid of the Bridgestones that are still on the back.

Mac

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys my car can destroy its rear tyres in under 5000 miles by taking the inside down to the canvas, my car got 4 new tyres fitted and I had it lined so it runs straight and true but it still reduced its rears. I got 2 new tyres fitted and asked to get the rears camber checked and yes it's out but the guy said what he adjusts is seized and can't be turned, now I have to leave it to my mechanic but I don't know what parts to ask him to change so I'm asking if someone could tell me what where I need to tell my mechanic to change. Thanks in advance.