Re: coolant problems with Skoda Fabias

Fabia_user

There seems to be a COMMON problem amongst skoda fabias in ireland.

A number of people I know who ALSO have Fabias say that they have had numerous problems related to their coolant problem.

My personal experience is that I bought a second hand fabia, (manufactured in 2000). Anyway within a few months of buying it, I found the coolant warning light coming on. After filling up the coolant to the maximum, within 6 weeks, the coolant warning light again came on. I thought this might be usual because it was January, and temperatures in Ireland can go as low as -2 degrees celsius some mornings in January. However this continued for MONTHS.

So I brought it back to the original garage where I bought it. they said it was a radiator problem, and they said they fixed it. It seemed to work for a few weeks, then the same problem again. So I brought it to another Skoda garage. They said it was the water pump. After getting that changed, a few weeks and the same problem came back. Again I went back, and they then said it was the head gasket. Again after getting that changed, a few weeks passed, and now the problem is re-surfacing.

I have spoke with anyone I know who has a Skoda Fabia in ireland, and they say this problem is very, very common with Skoda Fabia's in Ireland.

Is there a solution to this problem that people know of, about from selling the car for scrap? :mad:

There is a common problem with the head gaskets.

They seep oil into the cooling system which eventually blocks the current between the two prongs on the coolant level sensor bringing the light on. You need to replace the head gasket with the modified Temac gasket making sure that liner height is correct when removed and replace the header tank so all oil is removed from the cooling system.

Common to all 1.4 MPI's around 2000-2001 in any country.

ditto but i will also add that after replacing the head gasket the cooling system will need to be flushed out several times before you put the new coolant resevoir on otherwise you into the same problem (ie the oil residue will come into contact with the prongs on the resevoir) oh and i take it that the system isn't loosing coolant and going beond the min mark (so the light flashes).

They seep oil into the cooling system which eventually blocks the current between the two prongs on the coolant level sensor bringing the light on. You need to replace the head gasket with the modified Temac gasket making sure that liner height is correct when removed and replace the header tank so all oil is removed from the cooling system.

Hi yes there was.

I was told it was down to the front head bolts not being tight enough.

But the technician who did the gasket should have flushed the system and replaced the expansion tank at the same time.

When this come about I used to do 3 warranty claims a week in regards these and it was only a little garage.

If I am correct they did cover this in to another couple of years.

ditto but i will also add that after replacing the head gasket the cooling system will need to be flushed out several times before you put the new coolant resevoir on otherwise you into the same problem (ie the oil residue will come into contact with the prongs on the resevoir) oh and i take it that the system isn't loosing coolant and going beond the min mark (so the light flashes).

Thanks Lads for the feedback.

Can I just confirm that "Yes" the car is losing coolant, i.e. it most definitely does go beyond the min mark, and that's what causes the light to flash.

Thanks Lads for the feedback.

Can I just confirm that "Yes" the car is losing coolant' date=' i.e. it most definitely does go beyond the min mark, and that's what causes the light to flash.[/quote']

Have a check on the rad fan switch.

These was prone for leaking too.

May just require a new seal.

Sarah

• 3 years later...

My Fabia (2001, 1.4 16V Comfort model) has just started doing this also. I noticed that the coolant bottle was below the minimum line a while ago, but topped it up. Can anyone in the know confirm if this is also a known problem on this model/engine please? I'm guessing that I'm looking at a big repair bill to get the head gasket replaced :(

My Fabia (2001, 1.4 16V Comfort model) has just started doing this also. I noticed that the coolant bottle was below the minimum line a while ago, but topped it up. Can anyone in the know confirm if this is also a known problem on this model/engine please? I'm guessing that I'm looking at a big repair bill to get the head gasket replaced :(

Hi

It was not the 1.4 16v engines that had the problem with the head gaskets

But as I said in an earier post , check the rad fan switch

Sarah

Hi

It was not the 1.4 16v engines that had the problem with the head gaskets

But as I said in an earier post , check the rad fan switch

Sarah

Thanks Sarah, when I figure out where it is I will! :rofl: There is definitely coolant leakage from somewhere. I topped it up a while ago, and now the level in the bottle is even further below minimum than it was when I topped it up! :eek:

The coolant leak if it is on the rad fan switch is at the bootom of the rad

Passenger side IIRC

You should be able to see the crustations building up around the switch

Also check on the expansion tank , there is a seal on there that could possibly be a problem

Good luck in your search

Sarah