Sump plug issue

I've services my car today and while I was re-fitting the sump plug it failed to tighten completely. While I can't move the plug with my fingers it will move with little force using a socket.

After looking on here people seem to think that a replacement sump is required due to the alloy sump thread giving up. Is this the best option? Are there better after market sumps that don't have this issue?

Also would the car be OK to drive? After sorting out the oil levels I've left the engine on tick over and couldn't see any leaks.

or buy a genuine steel bottomed sump. the stud screws into steel so a lot harder to damage threads, you will also have more clearance under the car as they are low down. ideal if your car is lowered and with the bottom being steel harder to burst.

It will probably leak when the oil gets hot and thinner. The amount would only be small and you should be ok if you keep an eye on the level

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

Is there any current risk of leakage?

Yes, there is a serious risk that the plug will just fall out if you drive it, then it'll just spill all it's oil and wreck the engine in moments.

Don't do it.

Well a true Helicoil kit is around £55 on Machine Mart - Link, a cheaper kit off eBay is around £24 Link

However a steel sump is around £30 (Topran off eBay) but I'm unsure which to get. Does the Fabia have an oil level sensor?

Mine didn't have a level sensor, it died after 4 days of ownership as the garage failed to put my sump plug back in properly! Do not take your sump plug for granted :(

a cheaper kit off eBay is around £24 Link

However a steel sump is around £30 (Topran off eBay) but I'm unsure which to get. Does the Fabia have an oil level sensor?

I wouldn't use that cheaper kit as it's just oversized thread and plug. How about bringing sump to machine shop and let them install thread insert. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes and wild guess 15-20£.

Or buy that steel one.

TBH if I have to take the sump off either way then I may just get a steel one and hopefully not have this issue in the future. Is it confirmed that the vRS 13 PD engine doesn't have an oil sensor level?

any link to this? it sounds very cheap..

a genuine steel bottomed shallow sump would be around 120

D'oh - I'll remember that in future.

Does anyone know a place that sells Steel sumps as all i can find are alu ones.

Also is the sump plug thread m14 1.25 or 1.5?

Edited by wilsonian

Guest BigJase88

I re-used the old one as normal but this time I think I over tightened it. :(

Yup re-using old one and over tightening it (by the sounds of it you've changed oil previously) you've cream crackered your sump!

Helicoil or new sump required along with eating less spinach

Think in future its a torque wrench all the way :)

Just to confirm - does anyone know the pitch of the tread for a sump plug? I've seen kits with 1.25 & 1.5 listed :(