Sump plug issue

• 1 month later...

OK I know this is an old thread but I like to keep people updated (in case anyone sees this using the search function).

Things I've learned

Sump Plugs are M14 with a thread of 1.5. The gasket is a fluid version and can be purchased from either skoda or a good parts dealer.

http://www.quickvalve.co.uk/ - these chaps sell the fumoto qwikvalve and it fits the fabia perfectly. Granted you'll need the extension section and I opted for the clip to stop the tap from moving, but once you enter which car you have they list the parts required.

How I resolved the fault:

I purchased a V-Coil tapping kit for the M14 1.5 (be careful - alot of kits are for the 1.25 thread). I also had to purchase a 14.5mm HSS drill bit. The guide to using this kit can be found on youtube. Once the new thread was created I inserted the qwikvlave with a little thread lock.

Mines done this last night, thinking about chemical metal the sump plug in and getting a new sump for next oil change as I don't want to lose my new oil

just stick silicone around the sump plug. Thats what I done

OK here is a full run down as to what I did:

Drained the oil into clean container. Alot of people say don't save it but the oil is a month old. Once drained removing the sump plug is difficult. Most of the bolts use a 10mm head excpet a few which we needed to move the dog mount to access. Also four bolts are pretty deep near the gear box and a nightmare to remove. we ended up grinding down a spare 10mm 1/4 socket on a wobble arm and after much fiddling we finally got all 4 out. Once the sump is off wipe out all the left over oil with rags or tissues. clean up the contact areas on both the bottom of the engine block and the sump. Now as I was saving the sump we had to follow the steps for the v-coil. Drill out the old thread, and re-tap the hole. apply the coil and snap off the end tag (these stages are covered in the youtube video). We then fitted the new tap system and used thread lock to secure the unit. The liquid gasket needs to be fitted within 5 minutes of applying so read the instructions on the product you buy.  Refitting the sump is the reverse of removal. Once done pour in the saved oil and leave for 10 minutes, then top up as required.

This is what happens when alloy sumps are used... :(