vRS Nosiy Start Up - 6 months on - may be sorted at last

I have posted a few threads about my vRS and it's cold start noise. Before you start, it is not the lifters and usual stuff. For the first five months I owned the car it sounded 'normal' on start up. Then six months ago it started intermittently making a rattle / clatter / resonating sound. Every time it was left with the dealer over night, they heard no noise. I eventually video'd the noise to show the dealer. They have since checked all the timing gear, changed the starter, then the secondary air pump. All of these made no difference. It still make this noise on cold up start. The dealer has now decided it could be the radiator / aircon mounting bushes. It is going in on Monday to have the new bushes fitted. I hope it sorts the problem out, it has been like this for six months now. I will keep you up dated.

• 2 weeks later...

It is now 4 days after the new radiator mountings / bushes have been fitted. No more noisy cold start ups (so far). When this noise problem first happened, all the dealer would do is 'plug' the car into his computer and say there was no fault. I suggest it could be a fault that the computer couldn't find, but they weren't interested. If they had looked over the car fully 6 months this could have been solved then.

Has anybody else had problems with these mountings, is it a common problem?

Has anybody else had problems with these mountings, is it a common problem?

Now it's funny you should mention that.

On my last service at JBS I was told that there was 'Excessive movement in radiator lower mounts' and I also happen to know that Ic3man has been into Bickertons with a similar problem.

My RS has been noisy at cold start up from day one. Only ever happens first thing in the morning and I've never really worried about it but you've got me thinking now.

Now it's funny you should mention that.

On my last service at JBS I was told that there was 'Excessive movement in radiator lower mounts' and I also happen to know that Ic3man has been into Bickertons with a similar problem.

My RS has been noisy at cold start up from day one. Only ever happens first thing in the morning and I've never really worried about it but you've got me thinking now.

We thought that there must be something in this as we has you two in at almost the same time with the rad mounts.

Could be common , another one to keep an eye out for.

Nice one!

I think I spoke too early. Saturday morning the worrying mechanical noise was back again. The same on sunday, noisy start up again. But now on Monday no noise. I have now come to the point were I have had enough. Enough is enough, this intermittent noise / fault has been going on for over six months. What should have been a great car and a great driving experience is being spoilt by the car intermittently sounding like a twenty year heap of junk when it starts up. It realy is starting to wind me up now. And as of Skoda Customer Service, don't get me started!! First five months of vRS ownership were great, but these last six or so have been a nightmare.

I am interested in the idea that it is the cam chain tensioner, partictularly as mine too is worse in cold or damp weather. If it is cold and damp it is guarranted that it will make the noise. Please provide some more details if you can. How was your car, what mileage, etc.

I have got that frustrated with the situation, it has been back to the dealers that many times and each time what they have done hasn't cured the problem. I have now told the dealer that want my money back. This is Skoda experience has turned into a nightmare.

Hi

It's a 52 plate, done about 60k now but probably 50k when it went in. It only made the noise on cold start up and was certain to do it in the cold and wet. It only lasted for the first minute after starting and sounded like it was pinking really badly. It wasn't so bad under light throttle / load but rattled it's skull of when you accelerated! There was also some resonance at about 3k revs which dissapeared after it was done but don't know if it's related.

Was all fixed under warranty.

thanks

Richard

• 2 weeks later...